malware has reached smartphones?

techRob

Reaction score
I'm going to make an app that does nothing but claims to prevent viruses and sell it in the market... I just need a flashy GUI
McAfee already has that, at least on the PC. Absolutely, completely, 100% useless.
LOL that's great :) we use McAfee at work - not a fan of it, and the above really does fit it in my opinion. I've never dealt with so many virus issues before, while HAVING an anti-virus installed and running. Not to mention the virii seem to almost always disable McAfee. The best thing is when i'm scanning via a malware cleaner and it happens to find some nasties, McAfee will suddenly chime in: "oh hey! i found something!" ...after the malware cleaner has already found it.

Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 FTW - it's kept my PCs clean and in good health. :)

Droids

Reaction score
I'm going to make an app that does nothing but claims to prevent viruses and sell it in the market... I just need a flashy GUI
McAfee already has that, at least on the PC. Absolutely, completely, 100% useless.
LOL that's great :) we use McAfee at work - not a fan of it, and the above really does fit it in my opinion. I've never dealt with so many virus issues before, while HAVING an anti-virus installed and running. Not to mention the virii seem to almost always disable McAfee. The best thing is when i'm scanning via a malware cleaner and it happens to find some nasties, McAfee will suddenly chime in: "oh hey! i found something!" ...after the malware cleaner has already found it.

Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 FTW - it's kept my PCs clean and in good health. :)
I use Malwarebytes at work, it will usually clean even the most heavily infected machines, all the while McAfee sits in the system tray, oblivious to the multiple trojans running on someone's computer. I swear the head IT peeps are getting a cash kickback for renewing the contract every year, McAfee is utterly worthless, so we can expect an Android version soon. <sigh>

techRob

Reaction score

I use Malwarebytes at work, it will usually clean even the most heavily infected machines, all the while McAfee sits in the system tray, oblivious to the multiple trojans running on someone's computer. I swear the head IT peeps are getting a cash kickback for renewing the contract every year, McAfee is utterly worthless, so we can expect an Android version soon. <sigh>
..Meanwhile, we just purchased some McAfee servers; web filter, and a few others i can't remember. I bang my head everytime I have to rescure McAfee from itself. I think the mean reason my work has kept with it is because "so much money was spent on the update server" blah blah blah. It kills me. Yea, we use Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware - talk about a 1-2 combo ;)

samiusmc

Reaction score
While technically anything may be possible, the AV companies profit on the fear mongering.

Dont all security companies? Look at Brinks/Broadview security, theyre a prime example of this. Pretty much everything plays off of insecurities/fear mongering....

Don't they have that commercial where some woman goes home only to realize some crazy dude is outside stalking her? That chick needs to buy a gun.

grimloktt

Reaction score
One time I spent hour researching anti-virus softward and the like. I concluded that not one company clearly stood apart from the others. I settled on Norton 360 and feel that it does as good a job as any.

Why the bad talking of Norton? Is there something I'm missing?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Let's keep it OT...We are not here to debate Ethics or to question a persons parenting practice...

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
One time I spent hour researching anti-virus softward and the like. I concluded that not one company clearly stood apart from the others. I settled on Norton 360 and feel that it does as good a job as any.

Why the bad talking of Norton? Is there something I'm missing?

Bloatware and generally overpriced for what little it does is most peoples opinion.

OP
PhoenixGTR

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
guys you can only get a virus installed on your phone if your running windows mobile....lol

Now, see, that's the kind of info the story didn't bother with; I guess they want everyone to be scared.
Still, there *is*malware out there now that targets Linux and Mac, in addition to the plethora of Windows -based stuff. It may still be rare but is not nonexistent. Linux infection proves Windows malware monopoly is over | ZDNet
I'm not saying put bloatware on your Droid; just proceed with caution and don't assume we're invulnerable.
Of course, I don't understand why anyone would open strange attachments anyway.