malware has reached smartphones?

ljprevo

Reaction score
It is very much possible, smartphones are pretty much a computer. Even faster than old PC XT's.

I would bet it could be even easier if your phone is rooted.

OP
PhoenixGTR

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
Its true I installed a program called Mobistealth from mobistealth.com for a client on her sons blackberry bold 9400 without him knowing.

Now she can read all his outgoing/sent txt msgs/mms, all emails, call logs of who he called and who called him. She can now listen in on his calls while he's on a phone call as long as she mutes herself and can also do surround recording by activating the mic like as if the person has you on speaker phone.

This one does not do video, but if you go on their website you can read about it and how it works to help alert you incase your phone acts up and help you realize you've been haxored.

So basically this was legit bc she owns her sons phone and he is a minor only 15 the law allows you to do that without you telling the other person as long as you own the phone or its one of your kids being a minor.

-Sent from my Droid Froyo 2.2 using Tapatalk-

Sounds like that's what the article meant, something similar, only disguised in email attachments. I don't open attachments on my Droid except pix from family or friends.
I'd be more worried if there were drive-by downloads that could affect Droids. That's probably in the works too.
For now, I scan my Droid with my PC's AV periodically.
If I do install an AV on my Droid, Norton wouldn't be my 1st choice. It slowed down my PC last time I used it.

J

Johnly

For giggles I downloaded and ran a scan with it. It said my android tether app was a threat and quarantined it. lol!

OP
PhoenixGTR

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
I suspect that will be a recurring issue, even with non root apps.

techRob

Reaction score
I have Lookout installed on my Droid - never had any issues with my stuff. :)

While the thought of Norton on my Droid makes me want to vomit, I wouldn't mind using Kaspersky :) a co-worker showed me that he has that on his Winmobile 6.5 phone; 30 day trial, then $30 i think :\ ...i don't like that price tag, but i do like the brand (lol he said all he has to do is uninstall and reinstall and he's got another 30 day trial)

Droids

Reaction score
Back in the day... DOS, Win3.1, '95 and '98, Norton was king. After it was sold to Symantec it went downhill year after year. Left a bad taste in my mouth. Even if they've improved recently, they lost my business long ago. Wouldn't consider their software for a moment, not on a PC and certainly not on my phone. Last thing I need is their bloatware slowing down my mini-computer, especially when it hasn't yet been shown that Android is susceptible to viruses on a large scale.

Remember when bluetooth became available on phones? Everyone said keep your bluetooth turned off otherwise people walking past you on the street could send a virus to your phone. While technically anything may be possible, the AV companies profit on the fear mongering.

brando56894

Reaction score
While technically anything may be possible, the AV companies profit on the fear mongering.

Dont all security companies? Look at Brinks/Broadview security, theyre a prime example of this. Pretty much everything plays off of insecurities/fear mongering....

iPirate

Reaction score
I'm going to make an app that does nothing but claims to prevent viruses and sell it in the market... I just need a flashy GUI

Droids

Reaction score
I'm going to make an app that does nothing but claims to prevent viruses and sell it in the market... I just need a flashy GUI
McAfee already has that, at least on the PC. Absolutely, completely, 100% useless.

ShowTime

Reaction score
Anti-virus apps are well on their way to being the next task killer apps.... ie: completely unnecessary, doing more harm than good, being forcibly installed by stupid sales reps, and having far too many people swear by their effectiveness and that they're a necessity.... sigh

Last edited:

Clownassasin

Reaction score
guys you can only get a virus installed on your phone if your running windows mobile....lol