Making the big switch tomorrow

Leasa

Reaction score
I finally talked my husband into letting me get a Droid. Of course he couldnt say yes prior to Verizon closing tonight! :mad:

Going from a BB tour and praying that I love it as much as my friends do. Will be here a lot I am sure, until I figure the whole phone out. Been lurking for a week or so.

See you on the other side, be prepared for lots of questions! And sorry in advance.

ptfd13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
Congrats on the choice. Former BB owner here as well and have not looked back once. These forums are great and someone will be able to answer any question you could come up with.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I finally talked my husband into letting me get a Droid. Of course he couldnt say yes prior to Verizon closing tonight! :mad:

Going from a BB tour and praying that I love it as much as my friends do. Will be here a lot I am sure, until I figure the whole phone out. Been lurking for a week or so.

See you on the other side, be prepared for lots of questions! And sorry in advance.

Welcome to your newest obsession, Leasa! You are going to LOVE that Droid! Glad you've decided to quit lurking an decided to join in the fun! (And congratulations on persuading your husband - he will soon become very familiar with the term 'Droid envy'!) :D

mtgeorge

Reaction score
Congrats! You will love the Droid! I recently switched over after 2+ years of Windows Mobile. No real complaints there, but the Droid is so much better, faster, more stable....enjoy!

artc33

Reaction score
congrats on convincing your husband leasa! i did the same thing with my wife. i had to prepare a "presentation" so she could understand why i wanted a droid when i already had a lg dare... yeah.
BIG change for me from dare to droid, i don't even miss that thing anymore. and welcome.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Welcome to the forums Leasa......

Your husband is going to be kicking himself for caving in : )

Between all the customization options and these forums he'll never see you.....

Enjoy your stay Leasa...great to have you here.

Have fun with your new Droid

OP
L

Leasa

Reaction score
Thanks

Maybe I should start with just asking for some advice on "must have apps" right at the beginning? And does it have bedside mode with the alarm? (Turns all alerts off when you charge it at night except actual calls) That might be the option I miss on my BB. I am sure I will be overwhelmed for the first few days so if anyone has an opinion on apps that I shouldnt live without, toss them at me! My first chore will be figuring out how to download apps and which ones, after I figure out how to transfer my address book from my BB.

ZBoater

Reaction score
Congrats! I currently also carry a BB Tour (for work), but have to keep it because that is the only way I can access my corporate calendar and email. My IT department is not jumping on the Android bandwagon just yet. :) The Droid, however, runs CIRCLES around the BB in sooooo many different ways. Enjoy!

huskur

Reaction score
Maybe I should start with just asking for some advice on "must have apps" right at the beginning? And does it have bedside mode with the alarm? (Turns all alerts off when you charge it at night except actual calls) That might be the option I miss on my BB. I am sure I will be overwhelmed for the first few days so if anyone has an opinion on apps that I shouldnt live without, toss them at me! My first chore will be figuring out how to download apps and which ones, after I figure out how to transfer my address book from my BB.

Must have apps for starters:

Handcent---messaging app (stock is lame, very much so)
Astro---- File manager/explorer
Mini Info-- Keeps tabs on storage space and battery life
Pandora-- Customizable radio
LukLuk--- Free streamed movies (works best with wifi)
Shazam-- music identifier and more
xScope--- web browser w/pinchzoom
Google sky map ---just as it says
barcode scanner --- multi purpose

Start off with those apps to get you rolling and welcome aboard!!!

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
And does it have bedside mode with the alarm? (Turns all alerts off when you charge it at night except actual calls) That might be the option I miss on my BB.

I suggest Timeriffic (free from the Market) for this...

I have mine set so that Week Days (during work hours) it at 8:00am turns all sounds off and Vibrate on, turns on Wi-Fi and then at 4:30pm it turns Wi-Fi off, and my ringer volume to 100% and my notifications volume to 50%.

I have profiles for weekend (sleeping in), Sunday (so my phone doesn't go off during service) and week nights (I like to have the phone ring but don't want notification for emails to make noise).

All events are based on TIME settings and you pick the time, the days of the week and then what action you want to occur at that time/day.

Ringer, Vibrations, Main Volume, Notification Volume, Wi-Fi, Brightness, Airplane Mode and Bluetooth are your action choices.

Set it up right and you pretty much forget about it.

msu

Reaction score
Congrats! I currently also carry a BB Tour (for work), but have to keep it because that is the only way I can access my corporate calendar and email. My IT department is not jumping on the Android bandwagon just yet. :) The Droid, however, runs CIRCLES around the BB in sooooo many different ways. Enjoy!
'

If you company has webmail, then you can access it through your droid and sync everything. My company has blackberry only and told me that I couldn't access my stuff, but I simply put in all my information for the webmail plus my passwords, etc. and bamn I'm syncing everything and getting mail.
I think I stumped my IT guy on this one! :icon_ devil:

OP
L

Leasa

Reaction score
OK, so I have had my phone for a few days now and I have to say that I love it. My BB Tour is in the glovebox of my car, I havent looked at it since I wiped it for resale. I am obsessed, addicted and in love with this phone. One of my employees is too, she went and got her own yesterday. (Thank god, I dont want people smudging my screen). Even my husband keeps making comments about "they have an app for that"? He loved the keyring app and was jealous that I got to take all my MVP cards off my keys lol. I will be on here a lot now, as I am going to read everything about rooting the phone. I could never leave my BB alone either, it always got the unofficial leaks for new software. Thanks for all the info! I personally love the Launcher app that gives me up to 7 homescreens.

Steveindajeep

Reaction score
'

If you company has webmail, then you can access it through your droid and sync everything. My company has blackberry only and told me that I couldn't access my stuff, but I simply put in all my information for the webmail plus my passwords, etc. and bamn I'm syncing everything and getting mail.
I think I stumped my IT guy on this one! :icon_ devil:

Are you using the stock email program? My Co. has a webmail interface for our exchange but i cant seem to get it to work.

uflraptor

Reaction score
I've never tried LukLuk or Timeriffic but I'll be trying them both out soon. I agree with many of the other recommendations.

therock

Reaction score
There is a power Widget that comes with the phone called Power control. Long press on a home screen and choose widgets and select it.