Long received sms concatenation bug

kb0

Reaction score
I'm having a strange issue with long text messages being concatenated together. I received one sms as two separate parts, and now the second part of each subsequent message from the same contact is "one behind". The messages are chopped at the 152 character mark and then contain the ending that should have been part of the previous long message. It looks like the sms re-assembly algorithm got itself out of sync and now I'm forever doomed to read unintelligble long texts.

here's the exported messages:
<sms date="1271465344532" body="1/2 So now that youre ignoring me this is moot but just so you dont think the calls are important or whatever. My dad is here on a 48 hr trip and i wanted t" />
<sms date="1271465351278" body="2/2 o know if you wanted to have dinner with us." />
<sms date="1271475434972" body="My sister and i used to run around like them as a joke. Nvm again. I think im not making much sense. I should probably eat. Low blood sugar and major loo know if you wanted to have dinner with us." />
<sms date="1271842442750" body="Im tipsy so xx xxxx xxx xxxxxxxxxxx xx xxx xxxx xxx xxx xxx xxxx xx xxxxx xxx x xxxx xxx xxxx xx xxxxx xxxxx xx xx x xx xxxxx xxx. But i cant have everyss of blood dont work well together. " />

I am using the stock messaging app on 2.1. Has anyone else encountered this?

If there's one thing about the android OS that really grinds my gears, it's wacky low-incidence bugs like this.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm having a strange issue with long text messages being concatenated together. I received one sms as two separate parts, and now the second part of each subsequent message from the same contact is "one behind". The messages are chopped at the 152 character mark and then contain the ending that should have been part of the previous long message. It looks like the sms re-assembly algorithm got itself out of sync and now I'm forever doomed to read unintelligble long texts.

here's the exported messages:
<sms date="1271465344532" body="1/2 So now that youre ignoring me this is moot but just so you dont think the calls are important or whatever. My dad is here on a 48 hr trip and i wanted t" />
<sms date="1271465351278" body="2/2 o know if you wanted to have dinner with us." />
<sms date="1271475434972" body="My sister and i used to run around like them as a joke. Nvm again. I think im not making much sense. I should probably eat. Low blood sugar and major loo know if you wanted to have dinner with us." />
<sms date="1271842442750" body="Im tipsy so xx xxxx xxx xxxxxxxxxxx xx xxx xxxx xxx xxx xxx xxxx xx xxxxx xxx x xxxx xxx xxxx xx xxxxx xxxxx xx xx x xx xxxxx xxx. But i cant have everyss of blood dont work well together. " />

I am using the stock messaging app on 2.1. Has anyone else encountered this?

If there's one thing about the android OS that really grinds my gears, it's wacky low-incidence bugs like this.

It's not a bug. Verizon doesn't allow messages to be longer then 160 characters, so it will cut the message off and send a new message if you go beyond 160 characters.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
i think his point is, and I know mine does this too, is that you send AND receive the parts out of order. When non-verizon people send me long messages it can be quite entertaining trying to move the puzzle pieces around to make sense.

OP
K

kb0

Reaction score
Thanks, but the issue isn't either of those things. I used to see the split messages out of order behavior on my old flip phone, and yes, it was entertaining when it wasn't confusing.

The problem here is that my droid is trying to reassemble split messages (from another verizon phone), and doing it wrong.

One message came in split:
"1/2 " + Message1[0..152]
"2/2 " + Message1[153..]

and now reassembled messages are getting the first part of the current message, and the second part of the previous long message:
Message2[0..152] + Message1[153..]
Message3[0..152] + Message2[153..]

If you read my original post, you can see where the second two texts don't make sense the way they are reassembled.

Gafzini

Reaction score
I have seen this behavior. Similar to your issue, I've seen an issue where the same 2nd part of an long message gets attached to every new EMS over and over. Let me guess, it only happens from specific contacts or only one contact?

Most of the time it is caused by a corrupt contact. The SMS application uses pointers in the contact database to combine split messages to be displayed as one message in the inbox. What happens in the concat string in the message is misread on the second part of the message. The device knows there is another part of the message, but it can't find it because the database pointer for that contact has a previous concat string "stuck" somewhere in memory or in an asic.

I haven't been able to test this completely, but there are different behaviors that result of how a contact was added to your contact list. For example if the first msg you receive from someone is an EMS msg and you save that person as a contact, this behavior with the "stuck" concat strings seems more likely to happen.

Try deleting that contact and power cycling the phone. Then recreate the contact and test.

Let us know how it goes.