Locking Only with Lock/Power Button

hautepursuit

Reaction score
I am new to Droid and I am trying to set my Droid X so that it will only lock when I press the Lock/Power button and not when the screen goes to sleep. I can't stand unlocking my phone every time I awake it.

I had a feature like this on my BB Storm - I downloaded StormSlider and set it as a side button so that the phone would lock only if I pressed the button.

I have searched the forums and have yet to find an answer that works. I have already tried No Lock, Shaker and Screebl.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Humpa

Reaction score
No Lock is the best lock bypass app. But if you enable that, the lock will be bypassed always, even if you press the power button. Plus any physical button will wake the phone if using this app. Lock Bot is another popular lock app.

I do not think there is a way to only lock sometimes and not others. Aside from using a widget and turning the lock on and off.

Viper323

Reaction score
On CM6 there is a setting called "Screen timeout delay" that you can set as high as 30m. That way if your screen turns off the phone won't lock until 30m later, however if you press the lock button it will lock instantly. I'm not sure if any other ROMs have this feature or not...

EDIT: Sorry, I just read your post again and saw you had a Droid X =(

Slapper

Reaction score
Ive been using screen mode widget lite. 3 modes: lock, unlock, always on

lterry913

Reaction score
I have used screen mode widget also since getting droid 1 and like it the best of all mentioned...not exactly what you want but close...and try emailing a developer sometimes they are open to suggestions and will update an app if they think it is a good idea.

fullwave2

Reaction score
I use a program called Tasker. It allows you to write scripts in a fairly easy fashion, once you get up the learning curve. There are some pre-written scripts on their website as well as a Wiki and one of the pre-written scripts addresses this concern exactly. It allows you to set the time as a variable after the screen goes dark before the lock engages. I have mine set to set the screensaver at 3 minutes and the lock 5 minutes after that. I also have it set to not engage the lock anytime the power is plugged in. I keep my phone in the bedroom at night when it's charging so don't want to have to fumble with unlocking the phone if a call comes in.
There's a lot of other things you can do with Tasker beyond this. It's well worth the same amount for the program to take charge and have the phone do what I want it to do.
Hope this helps.