Locked vs unlocked bootloader

GTvert90

Reaction score
With the announcement of the Bionic today here comes the oh no its locked posts again. (which isn't confirmed).

I'm just wondering 7 months after the X has been released. We've been able to OC/UV flash roms. some have even found ways to make small changes to the Kernel I believe.

I'm new ish to all this flashing and what not.. What are we leaving on the table by not being able to flash a custom kernal?

I know all current Roms for the X have some moto framework left in it... But what is that really preventing at this time?

Maybe I need an unlocked phone to really know? I dunno

Beka27

Reaction score
I never had an OG Droid, so I probably don't fully understand what the big deal is either. It's not looking like Moto will be unlocking anytime soon...

(from Beka's DX)

fox_dye

Reaction score
Im rocking the d1 still and if I get a bionic I don't really see what you would need to change. It just looks sick I mean a dual core 1ghz tegra 2 and 1 gb ram. Its like a little laptop. But if it gets rooted proper I will root it. Just for the hell of it.

Sent from a galaxy far far away.....

OP
G

GTvert90

Reaction score
I know MIUI or what not needs custom kernal... why/ Why can't it be ported to the X?

hoppermi

Reaction score
I know MIUI or what not needs custom kernal... why/ Why can't it be ported to the X?

MIUI doesn't need a custom kernel. The D1 version comes with the stock motorola kernel.
No reason MIUI can't be ported to X. You need to find someone who is able and willing to do so. Best bet is prolly to wait until it comes out of beta(Feb.), porting a new rom every week is like a part-time job w/o guaranteed pay.

OP
G

GTvert90

Reaction score
Then really what are we missing out on by not having it be unlocked? That's the point. Lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Then really what are we missing out on by not having it be unlocked? That's the point. Lol

That you have to wait for an update to the OS, and also once Motorola/Verizon stops supporting your phone, it's done.

That's why D1 users are able to flash Gingerbread ROMs right now, and DX users have to wait for Motorola/Verizon to release a GB update for your phone. Once they decide that the DX is not worth supporting anymore, you're stuck on the current version of the OS that you have.

And no...no one is going to unlock the bootloader. Don't listen to those who tell you otherwise.

OP
G

GTvert90

Reaction score
So pretty much we can add change remove features. But the core always has to be vzw/moto. Even if is just a little. Gotcha.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
So pretty much we can add change remove features. But the core always has to be vzw/moto. Even if is just a little. Gotcha.

I dont know how far they've come with the X as I don't have one, and I don't know what you mean by "change features"...as far as I know, you can theme the thing, and do backups (albeit in an annoying way), but you can't get gingerbread features until motorola releases it for your phone.

its really not that big a deal though, because most people will be upgrading anyway, so it's not like you'll be stuck with a phone that still has froyo when everyone else is running something else.

just don't donate to the people who claim "we've almost got the bootloader unlocked!!!" hahaa cuz that's just a lie.

plus if they do unlock it (which they won't)...the phone will be long obsolete (it pretty much is with the announcement of the dual core phones now)

sandfreak

Reaction score
tryin to do a little research for somebody that would like help rooting their dx.

i rooted my d1 the old fashioned way about a year ago and i love it. but i've never looked into rooting other devices.

so if the dx can be rom'd and overclocked, what exactly does the locked bootloader prevent one from doing?

from reading through this thread it looks like one cant run the newest version of android with a locked bootloader. is that the only setback of a locked bootloader?

Barkleyfan

Reaction score
tryin to do a little research for somebody that would like help rooting their dx.

i rooted my d1 the old fashioned way about a year ago and i love it. but i've never looked into rooting other devices.

so if the dx can be rom'd and overclocked, what exactly does the locked bootloader prevent one from doing?

from reading through this thread it looks like one cant run the newest version of android with a locked bootloader. is that the only setback of a locked bootloader?

Biggest issue is kernel access. Which effects many things, most notably battery savings. But it also eliminates many cooked in features people expect from roms. Gingerbread leak had added most of the issues.

Barkleyfan

Reaction score

Biggest issue is kernel access. Which effects many things, most notably battery savings. But it also eliminates many cooked in features people expect from roms. Gingerbread leak had addressed most of the issues. Z4root is awesome for gaining root on the X.

sandfreak

Reaction score
isn't z4root just an app from the market? if so, i wonder why this guy didn't just do that.

so although the dx doesn't have full kernel access it's still worth the trouble to root it?

(might not be trouble for some but it took me hours to root my d1 so i'd expect the same with this guy's dx)