List Of Top Devices Shows It's Not About Clock Speed

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
best.png

Well this is the last time I am going to be on this topic, but if you have not read Phonedog's top Android device list, it might be worth a read. The list touches on a few devices that their editor Aeron thinks is the best and while they have some Droid's on there, they cannot beat the G2. That device that T-mobile just released that will be coming to Verizon next month on the 11th(sadly with much more Bing than usual) has been making top of every Android device list since released regardless of its clock speed or standard 5MP camera-- that I think is great.

This goes to show that you shouldn't judge a phone by its clock speed, rather, you should look behind what model processor it is because what the G2 (Desire Z, HTC Merge) has is definitely an improvement over the current 1 GHz processors that we see on devices like the Nexus One, Incredible and on.

This list also brought a question to my mind. Does anyone here find it odd that phones need to be so fast? I mean I get 1 GHz, I can even understand 1.2 GHz, but does phones need more than that? I don't even think my phone needs a Dual core processor to be awesome but that is just me. Vote in our poll and let us know if you thinks phones should chill out when it comes to the high speeds or if you are still to hit your max.

Top Device list via: Phonedog

Big_Ron

Reaction score
we need to let battery tech and power management catch up to the rest of the phone it does no good to have a duel core proc if the phone only last 10 min with out being plugged in to a flux compactor to run

alitke

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. We need a battery that can get a phone through 48 or more hours of heavy use. This 5 hour battery life when talking and texting is getting old.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
My phone lasts an entire day of whatever kind of use I do. Light use and its sitting at 80% when I go to bed. Heavy use and its 20-30% at bed time. I have no problem plugging it in when I go to bed.

The writers biggest complaint with the DroidX was lack of a front facing camera. I can't wait until that **** dies off. Its a useless addon that jacks up the cost.

As for software glitches, i never experienced any when I was on stock software.

Rsswga

Reaction score
Someone needs top come up with some how making the screen act as solar powered.. like the calculators use .. some how incorporate solar cells or whatever there called built into the screen..
make sense?

alitke

Reaction score
My phone lasts an entire day of whatever kind of use I do. Light use and its sitting at 80% when I go to bed. Heavy use and its 20-30% at bed time. I have no problem plugging it in when I go to bed.

The writers biggest complaint with the DroidX was lack of a front facing camera. I can't wait until that **** dies off. Its a useless addon that jacks up the cost.

A day is nothing though when you are on a business trip. I spend 50-60% of my day running computer control app like Tonido so that I can use my phone to alter my Excel files. That drains battery fast. I also stream Pandora the entire day, which does not help.

Lastly, the front facing camera might seem like a joke but if you have a family I assure you it is not. I would love to be able to call my wife and see her and my kids faces instead of just talking to them. If you are just some young kid without a family yah it seems stupid. For me though, its a big deal. I am holding off buying a new phone until more Verizon phones have the front facing camera.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Eliminate Lag, and then we can stop

When my phone lags, when it redraws the homescreen slowly. When the browser takes forever to render. Well, I wish the processor was faster. Sure it's overclocked, but it's just not there yet.

Now this could be a combination of a lot of factors ? Rom not as compatible, too many running processes, kernel not compatible, etc.

AuxiliaryPie

Reaction score
Someone needs top come up with some how making the screen act as solar powered.. like the calculators use .. some how incorporate solar cells or whatever there called built into the screen..
make sense?

+1
tencharacters

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Lastly, the front facing camera might seem like a joke but if you have a family I assure you it is not. I would love to be able to call my wife and see her and my kids faces instead of just talking to them. If you are just some young kid without a family yah it seems stupid. For me though, its a big deal. I am holding off buying a new phone until more Verizon phones have the front facing camera.

I like this, but why can't the rear camera be used for this purpose, and the use of some mirror device to reflect the screen back to the user, just until something better comes along.

accellpo

Reaction score
When my phone lags, when it redraws the homescreen slowly. When the browser takes forever to render. Well, I wish the processor was faster. Sure it's overclocked, but it's just not there yet.

Now this could be a combination of a lot of factors ? Rom not as compatible, too many running processes, kernel not compatible, etc.

If you're using a different launcher, don't blame that on the DX. I've recently switched back to the stock launcher and found that it absolutley never lags going back to the home screen. I'll never use another launcher again. LP and ADW have many more features, look pretty, but the stock launcher is way more stable than both!

The ff camera is useless for me. I have a child but I don't need to see a fuzzy, laggy video of her when we're on the phone lol. They put the EVO ahead just because of that useless feature, even though the battery life sucks, is just ridiculous!

hemorrdroid

Reaction score

I like this, but why can't the rear camera be used for this purpose, and the use of some mirror device to reflect the screen back to the user, just until something better comes along.

Someone actually invented a mirror addon for the iphone 3g a while back, only problem was, there was no software to support it for picture calls at the time.

jack902902

Reaction score
Dual-core processors are supposed to be more efficient. As nano micron technology get's better, our processors get smaller. This is probably why dual-core processing is entering the mobile device market so quickly.

Smaller processor = lower power consumption.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL

A day is nothing though when you are on a business trip. I spend 50-60% of my day running computer control app like Tonido so that I can use my phone to alter my Excel files. That drains battery fast. I also stream Pandora the entire day, which does not help.

Pretty sure Pandora is your issue there. And when traveling, is it too much to take a USB cable with you? I personally use Logmein Ignition and have no issues.

As for the front camera, I do have a wife and two kids. Though i do not have to travel for my job, hearing their voices is enough when I am away for something else.

joeybarclay

Reaction score
I would like more speed so that I can watch a flash video not a slide show.