List of issues with my MAXX so far... (please help!)

IanBadeer

Reaction score
Keeping in mind this is my first smartphone, some of my "issues" may be common knowledge to you folks as existing for a long time, but they're new to me. :p

I started with 2.3.5 and have had the 2.3.6 update since it came out. All of the issues listed below have carried over across both versions.

1. No data when in a phone call.
As soon as I'm on a call with someone, I can receive texts but have no internet use whatsoever. No facebook, no browser, nothing. Is this common?

2. Picture corruption.
I often (every 2-3 days) have a picture not save properly. I've gotten accustomed to taking two shots of everything because often one doesn't save properly and shows up as 0KB when I look to download it from the SD card. I've had this same issue with two different SD cards. This also seems to happen if I take a picture immediately after launching the camera app.

3. Ringtones/alarm sounds changing
I use music from my SD card to do ringtones and text alerts. However, once I plug in my phone to the computer and access the card and then disconnect it, this happens: Alarms now say "Unknown Ringtone" and play a different song from my SD card. My ringtones and alerts do the same thing, they switch over to other songs. Is there a better way to assign these so that they don't change on every USB connection?

4. Wifi sucks.

The wireless card on the phone is junk. I have to try two or three times on some networks to connect and even then it will drop the connection when the router is 20 feet away. At home, I have a router and then a repeater on the other end of the house (where my room is). The wifi on the phone works off the router, but not off the repeater. This is despite the fact that my laptop, desktop, and iPad all work just fine off the repeater. So if I want to use wifi instead of my data plan, I have to leave my room, go upstairs, and get out of range of the repeater so that it connects to the router. It's the weirdest issue.

5. Some Google Voice texts do not go through to the phone.
This may be a GV issue and not a phone issue, but I often have (usually once a day) a Google Voice text go to my GV app, but it never arrives in on my phone in the normal text area like it should. I have notifications turned off for GV, because the texts forward to my phone, but this is annoying when I'm waiting for my phone to go off for a reply and it never gets it, the text just silently goes to GV. If I activate the GV notifications, then I get double alarms/alerts, which is even more annoying. :p

I think there are a few other issues I've had as well, but I won't remember until they happen to me again on the phone.

Anyway, does anyone have some ideas of how I can alleviate some of these problems?

Thanks!

Ian

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
Dude I get #2 and 3 too on my bionic...
I've discovered that my ringtones change if I have it usb'd to the computer and in USB mass storage mode, then get a notification. It seems to choose some random audio from my phone (music usually).
I'll upload one of my corrupted pics later. It's like the top of the pic is ok, then its weird noise and garbled colors in the middlish, then the bottom of the pic is normal but shifted to the right or left. I figured it was a problem with one of the chips in my phone, but I guess other people are having pic problems too...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Trash Can

Reaction score
Regarding #1, that's how Verizon's phones work when connected to 3G/CDMA (with no WiFi connection) -- voice or data. However, you should have both voice and data available when connected to 4G/LTE. I don't have the other issues you describe, so I cannot comment.

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
1. As stated earlier, you will not be able to do what you are trying to do on Verizon's 3G network with any device. It's a 3G limitation.
2, 3, 4, 5 I would try a factory reset.

bendystrawboy

Reaction score
1. As stated earlier, you will not be able to do what you are trying to do on Verizon's 3G network with any device. It's a 3G limitation.
2, 3, 4, 5 I would try a factory reset.

Tbolt can figured all lte phones can?

MysticalDreams

Reaction score
IL for now... waiting for the day we can move back
Current Phone Model
Note 8!!
Keeping in mind this is my first smartphone, some of my "issues" may be common knowledge to you folks as existing for a long time, but they're new to me. :p

I started with 2.3.5 and have had the 2.3.6 update since it came out. All of the issues listed below have carried over across both versions.

1. No data when in a phone call.
As soon as I'm on a call with someone, I can receive texts but have no internet use whatsoever. No facebook, no browser, nothing. Is this common?

As stated above, to get both data AND voice, you either have to be connected to WiFi of 4g/lte, connection to 3g does not have the capability for voice AND data its either or....

2. Picture corruption.
I often (every 2-3 days) have a picture not save properly. I've gotten accustomed to taking two shots of everything because often one doesn't save properly and shows up as 0KB when I look to download it from the SD card. I've had this same issue with two different SD cards. This also seems to happen if I take a picture immediately after launching the camera app.

I haven't taken any pictures yet with my maxx, so I can't really comment. I will try and play with it today and see what happens. but maybe a factory reset...

3. Ringtones/alarm sounds changing
I use music from my SD card to do ringtones and text alerts. However, once I plug in my phone to the computer and access the card and then disconnect it, this happens: Alarms now say "Unknown Ringtone" and play a different song from my SD card. My ringtones and alerts do the same thing, they switch over to other songs. Is there a better way to assign these so that they don't change on every USB connection?

I have no clue why this happens but I have moved some of my music to the internal memory (on my x) and navigated the ringtones to the internal. That worked on the X and the D2 so I would imagine it would work on the maxx.

4. Wifi sucks.

The wireless card on the phone is junk. I have to try two or three times on some networks to connect and even then it will drop the connection when the router is 20 feet away. At home, I have a router and then a repeater on the other end of the house (where my room is). The wifi on the phone works off the router, but not off the repeater. This is despite the fact that my laptop, desktop, and iPad all work just fine off the repeater. So if I want to use wifi instead of my data plan, I have to leave my room, go upstairs, and get out of range of the repeater so that it connects to the router. It's the weirdest issue.

My WiFi is stronger on my phone than it is on my laptop. I can pick up a signal from my neighbors that none of my other wireless devices see.

5. Some Google Voice texts do not go through to the phone.
This may be a GV issue and not a phone issue, but I often have (usually once a day) a Google Voice text go to my GV app, but it never arrives in on my phone in the normal text area like it should. I have notifications turned off for GV, because the texts forward to my phone, but this is annoying when I'm waiting for my phone to go off for a reply and it never gets it, the text just silently goes to GV. If I activate the GV notifications, then I get double alarms/alerts, which is even more annoying. :p

I dont use GV

I think there are a few other issues I've had as well, but I won't remember until they happen to me again on the phone.

Anyway, does anyone have some ideas of how I can alleviate some of these problems?

Thanks!

Ian

Good Luck... a factory reset might be a good place to start

TatDroid

Reaction score
Tbolt can figured all lte phones can?

Yes, all Verizon's LTE phones CAN, but only when connected to 4G LTE. If you're in a 3G only area then no data while on a call.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
IanBadeer

IanBadeer

Reaction score
Thanks, as it turns out, I live just outside the 4G LTE area so every time I've tried this it's been on 3G, that explains a lot.

I will back my phone up and do a factory reset and see how things turn out. I'll keep you guys posted, thanks!

OP
IanBadeer

IanBadeer

Reaction score
Did the factory reset, and one thing that does work now (that I had forgotten about) is the ability to add my facebook account to the "My Accounts" section, so now I can use the My Gallery widget and have fb photos on my home screen. The issue I had before was that I would tap to add the facebook account, and nothing would happen.

As for issues 2 through 5, I'll find out as I use it this week. The wifi issue still exists though, it works perfectly off the router but gets nothing off the repeater (despite connecting just fine and getting an IP address).

Trash Can

Reaction score
Did the factory reset, and one thing that does work now (that I had forgotten about) is the ability to add my facebook account to the "My Accounts" section, so now I can use the My Gallery widget and have fb photos on my home screen. The issue I had before was that I would tap to add the facebook account, and nothing would happen.

It's all a matter of personal preference, but have to tried Facebook for Android? I like it much better than the one pre-installed on the phone.

rdgxray

Reaction score
No picture corruption or wifi problems...I have the razr but basically same phone...factory reset or refurbished might be options ...but sounds like all somewhat minor issues ...all phones have quirks like this....good luck with reset...let us know if it helps

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

jmack356

Reaction score
Regarding Wi-Fi connection issues, I purchased two MAXX's 2 months ago and immediately found I could'nt connect to my home network on either of them.
I little searching turn up the solution that worked for me... I have a D-Link wireless router that is still basically setup with most default settings. One of them was the "Mixed" setting where the router was using 802.11b, g & n. It was the "n" protocol that was causing my problem. Once I changed my router to use only "b" & "g", the MAXX connected immediately ans has been rock-solid ever since.
As a side benefit, the several laptops in the house are now also connecting with a better, more reliable signal as well...

HT_Flyer

Reaction score
Regarding your GV issue, do you use smart action battery extender, because that shuts off background sync and you won't get GV messages.