First day with Maxx, issues so far...

Crf450r420

Reaction score
First, I have this phone against my will. I started Droid, then D2. Skipped D3 and wanted D4, but can't deal with the little battery when I can't just change it. I can't charge much during the day like many. If they do come out with a D4 Maxx this thing will be likely be for sale.

Second, I now have a larger screen and there is no more room on the screen for Icons or widgets. Everything is just bigger, which would be great I guess if I had bad vision. I ran ADW before and had 7 screens which I will try, but I figure 5 screens on this larger phone should be able to fit about the same stuff. Just won't have as many dividers.

Third, I did a backup of every app I could on my D2 so I could just load them up on the new phone and save a lot of work. Biggest one is Tasker, I have a lot of things already setup on here and it will take me days to get it back to where it is, but when I try to restore it can't find it. Do I need to move it to the internal storage or some exact spot for it to work, where? Also, had this issue with Extreme Call Blocker, Gental Alarm, and can't remember the rest at the moment

Next, why did the get rid of the magnet activation for docking. Is there another easy way to have it switch to car dock. My girlfriend and I have the same magnet mounts in all 4 vehicles. So, it didn't matter what we were driving because we use the same mount in each one and it didn't cost an arm and a leg. Now she wants a different phone than me, so that means I will have to buy a mount for her car for when I drive it or remember to bring the car dock from one of mine? Coming from Droid 2's and I'm not a fan of that idea.

Also, ad in standard complaint about Verizon constantly adding more apps that are not needed and can't be removed without rooting. I say put all the apps they want on there. I bet some of the less tech people use and love some of them, but please let the rest of us remove them.

With all of that said, I think I can get use to the keyboard enough to keep the phone and the rest of the phone is insanely great. It is very fast and smooth. I'm up in the air about the size. I keep it in my pocket so I think I would prefer the 4" on the D4, but I would miss the size at the same time.

Barkleyfan

Reaction score
My vision is getting bad, so screen size is an issue for me. I miss physical keyboard from my OG, but I can't read it anymore. Battery is also a huge mark in the plus column. ADW will allow you to add columns and rows, but I think you need paid version to resize widgets iirc. Either way, you can get more real estate with it.

doggy2965

Reaction score
I'm using Go Launcher it allows you to change grid size for apps to 5 by 5 so you can put 25 apps per screen and also has scrollable tool bar for 15 apps instead of 4. RAZR is an awesome phone give it a chance.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Sorry you are having problems but non of these would be considered issues with the phone as your thread would suggest. They are things that you are having problems with or just don't like. A little research goes a long way in selecting the device that is right for you.

In regards to your "back-up" you never specified what you used to back the apps up. Were you rooted or not??? Did you back up the apps and their associated data???

OP
C

Crf450r420

Reaction score
I guess I should have titled it. My first night with the Maxx, my issues with the phone. The first night I tired to activate it, but it pulled my 3G phone off and didn't activate. That left me with no phone for about 18 hours. First time without a phone in a long time. LOL

I was able to get my apps to reload. I had to move the data from the SD card to the internal storage. Which I didn't know it showed up as a separate card until I hooked up to the computer to transfer data to my new 64GB card. I have MyBackup, but the old phone was rooted and I all my backups had the extra stuff it lets rooting do. I figured it wouldn't work as well as I liked, so I just did a backup of the major apps inside of themselves.

I will try out those apps for launching. I can see where it is a great thing for bad eyes, but I want my space for stuff. LOL

I tried to reply to this earlier from my phone, but Opera (my favorite since I can say act like a desktop and get no mobile sites) let me log in and wouldn't let me type in the reply or quick reply boxes. The stock browser wouldn't let me log in here. So something else to figure out. Along with why my SwitcherPro app couldn't turn the flash on as a flashlight this morning. Made getting ready in the dark without waking the girlfriend tough.

Well, I've got an hour ride going down south to tune the new race boat motor. I will be figuring things out. I'll try to update back here if I can.

MysticalDreams

Reaction score
IL for now... waiting for the day we can move back
Current Phone Model
Note 8!!
I started out with Launcher Pro Plus on my DX but it started having issues. I switched to Go Launcher and I have had no issues with it, Go allows for up to 9 screens (I only use 5). I am getting my Maxx between Mon and Wed. glad to know Go works nice on it.

As for your docking issues. maybe you can set up a smart task for it? I did a google search for it and there were some options to modifying other docks...

good luck

DarthKinetic

Reaction score
ummm the Maxx documentation states it only supports a 32GB sd card....
:frown:

OP
C

Crf450r420

Reaction score
I load Go Launcher a little bit ago. Not much time to play with it, but it along with ADW will not run the favorite contacts widget. That sucks since it is my favorite part of the factory launcher. I am running ADW with 6 by 6 grid and I lover it. I think it overlaps some in landscape, but I don't use that hardly at all on this phone compared to my D2. Must be this massive screen. :)

I'm tired, so having trouble remembering everything I would want to put on here.

Yes, the SanDisk 64GB card I got for $106 shipped at buy.com is working and the phone sees all of it. What's not to love about that? Oh, my D2 saw it also. I should pull on the old D1 and check it on there also.

I got up at 6:30, unplugged the phone. Used it for a flashlight to get ready. Played with it on the 1.5 hour drive to the testing. Found out I had no signal there, so the phone was looking for signal for about 3 to 3.5 hours. On the way back I ran the NAV while browsing the web and making phone calls. Planning for going to supercross in a few weeks. Didn't do a whole lot of torture after that, mostly my normal use. I did a little extra trying different configurations, messing with my bluetooth headset, and playing music a few times to drain it. I've been off charge now for 17 hours and the battery is at 20%. :hail: I have not setup any of the smart actions and only have a limited set of power saving in tasker. I read that the phone will get better on battery after about a week, is this the battery getting conditioned, the phone learning my habits and making changes, the setup of smart actions, or a combo of all? Are the suggestions smart actions makes the learn it refers to in the commercials?

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
For droid forums download it from the market.... :)

----posted maxx'ed out----

OP
C

Crf450r420

Reaction score
Yeah, I got tasker backup. I can see where smart actions can do a good amount of things tasker can do for power saving and maybe a couple it can't. It however does not do nearly as much as tasker can from what I've seen. I will likely be using both in the future. For now I just have loaded what I had before. That is mostly turning on wifi at locations where I go that have it. I have it set to put my display time out to 10 min while viewing apps where I read a lot with out moving the screen. Also, launch my music on headphone jack insert (I see that can be done with smart action also, guess we have to see what is faster and what uses less power to do the same actons). It's nice to make a widget button to get NAV home and say back to work with one click. I think the smart actions will be mostly for power savings, but I have more to learn.

I'll check that out. I don't think my D2 had to be rooted for Switcher Pro to do that. I mighbt be screwed on rooting for a while. I read about the update before I got the phone and updated before I read to root first. I didn't plan on doing it right away anyways.

Has anyone used that ASUS style little laptop for the Razr? I'm not sure about it. I know it would make it more usable, but not sure how much I would use it. With the grandfathered unlimited data plan it might be a good thing for me to take advantage of it.