Linux and Android 4.0 Tiny PC for $74 ?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ok, here I go replying to a 4 month old post...

I recently picked one of these things up, for about 50 bucks and have been playing around with it.
Amazon.com: Mini MK802 Android 4.0 Google TV Box HD IPTV Player PC Allwinner A10 1G DDR3: Electronics

I ordered a wireless keyboard at the same time: Amazon.com: FAVI Entertainment Wireless Keyboard (Built-in TouchPad/Laser Pointer) - Black: Electronics

The keyboard's glidepad works but a regular mouse with it's scroll-wheel is often times easier to navigate with. The keyboard is way easier then using a mouse to point at the on-screen keyboard, especially on a 55" TV where the Z key and P key are feet away from each other!

For those not in the know this device lets you take any HDMI TV and turn it into a true Smart TV. Not just Netflix and Hulu Plus, like the Smart TVs they sell you, but also Hulu, College Humor, Wimp, and any other video website out there along with web browsing, email, etc. It comes with ICS so you have your Google apps for gmail, facebook, etc. You can toss on MX Player, VLC, Skifta, and Crackle so you can steam media from the web or from your local media library...wirelessly, via microsd 32gb card or a multi-TB drive plugged right into the device via USB host. Andry Birds on a 55" tv is cool and easily played with a regular mouse. It comes rooted but roms are coming out for it. XBMC (Xbox Media Center) is working on a full Android server version, but as xbmc for Android is still a work in progress (alpha stage) it is currently a bit laggy.

The device I have is also a single core unit. Dual core units are now coming out which in itself may fix the above mentioned slowness. Outside of using XBMC the device streams and plays videos locally just fine.

Does anyone else out there have one of these critters yet? I see these useful a way to upgrade your HDMI equiped TV so it becomes a wireless smart TV. I also see it as cheap computer for many. For most this would suffice has it has web browsing, email, facebook, access to Google Docs, dropbox, etc.

OP
Natey2

Natey2

Reaction score
Reviewers have commented about an issue with the device overheating. What has been your experience?
If the device comes with Google Play Store, it must be decently Abdroid-compatible.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk