Adobe to ship mobile Flash update for Android 4.0

Dcrobin05

Reaction score
This is a layman's point of view but from catalog browsing it feels like flash is integrated into a huge chunk of the Internet. How hard will it be for everyone to transition? Granted flash isn't great but can they really just abandon it?

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think a lot of flash has been phased out already and we just haven't noticed.

I don't keep flash installed on my Original Droid unless I need it because it slows my OG down so badly and I still notice a lot of things like "flash" banners that I thought were flash but obviously aren't. So I think a lot of websites have started to move away from flash because of it's issues and it's just been replaced with other things like HTML5.

I imagine there's still loads of sites using flash, but mobile browsing has become a huge source of income for websites, so they will be adjusting their code accordingly so that their entire site remains available to people viewing their sites on mobile devices.

mzjin

Reaction score
This is a layman's point of view but from catalog browsing it feels like flash is integrated into a huge chunk of the Internet. How hard will it be for everyone to transition? Granted flash isn't great but can they really just abandon it?

It's really not. The only time I'm browsing on my iPad and can't do something with Flash is a video content website. And the benefit is that Flash advertisements aren't needed to be blocked by AdBlock 24/7.

Byakushiki

Reaction score
The lack of flash in the very near future is alarming for me because some larger services like google music and youtube run mainly off of flash.
Don't give me lip about YouTube's html5 trial, because that thing is a near trainwreck. It has bouts of choppiness and the inability to start smoothly in comparison to flash based videos. I for one think flash is here to stay for the next few years at least, in all honesty. I enjoy not having to load my entire library onto my HP TouchPad manually and being able to access everything through Google Music. But hey, it's just my two cents. Have at it, folks!

mzjin

Reaction score
The lack of flash in the very near future is alarming for me because some larger services like google music and youtube run mainly off of flash.
Don't give me lip about YouTube's html5 trial, because that thing is a near trainwreck. It has bouts of choppiness and the inability to start smoothly in comparison to flash based videos. I for one think flash is here to stay for the next few years at least, in all honesty. I enjoy not having to load my entire library onto my HP TouchPad manually and being able to access everything through Google Music. But hey, it's just my two cents. Have at it, folks!

Um. Youtube is an App. Google Music is an App.

Flash not needed.

Dcrobin05

Reaction score
It's really not. The only time I'm browsing on my iPad and can't do something with Flash is a video content website. And the benefit is that Flash advertisements aren't needed to be blocked by AdBlock 24/7.

I wouldn't go so far as to say you are a minority but im fairly certain a sizable chunk of mobile Internet users are big consumers of video content. Not that I don't agree the transition could be smooth I wouldn't be so quick to discount the amount of flash content there is and how many people us it.

Byakushiki

Reaction score
Um. Youtube is an App. Google Music is an App.

Flash not needed.
Some of us don't use our phones for that. HP TouchPad=no dedicated app. That being said, it runs everything nice and smoothly. And if you're trying to play on the fact TouchPad has a CM7 port...The audio is a disaster and it still has SOD issues, despite being properly clocked/wifi set up properly. It's easier for me to carry a tablet around rather than a full blown laptop for note-taking.

cebosound

Reaction score
Apple can't savatage Droid just yet. :icon_ lala: dancedroid

Last edited:

mzjin

Reaction score
I wouldn't go so far as to say you are a minority but im fairly certain a sizable chunk of mobile Internet users are big consumers of video content. Not that I don't agree the transition could be smooth I wouldn't be so quick to discount the amount of flash content there is and how many people us it.

Aside from illegal streaming websites, there aren't any major video content out there that uses flash and isn't supported on a mobile device with an APP. Netflix, Hulu all have Apps for that.

Last edited by a moderator:

mzjin

Reaction score
Some of us don't use our phones for that. HP TouchPad=no dedicated app. That being said, it runs everything nice and smoothly. And if you're trying to play on the fact TouchPad has a CM7 port...The audio is a disaster and it still has SOD issues, despite being properly clocked/wifi set up properly. It's easier for me to carry a tablet around rather than a full blown laptop for note-taking.

Well if you had iPad instead of a complete failure of a device like the TouchPad you wouldn't have that problem.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Well if you had iPad instead of a complete failure of a device like the TouchPad you wouldn't have that problem.

Let's try and not be negatively sarcastic when posting please, please post with consideration.

NewAge

XOOM Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If it isn't updated before the Gnex is released stand by for the *griping. Flash wasn't supporting Honeycomb for months after release and people were foaming at the mouth. I didn't find it that annoying, but some people use it a lot.

Last edited by a moderator: