LG Watch Urbane LTE and Lg Watch Urbane waiting area

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
lg-g-watch-urbane_w_600.jpg

Lg was the first android wear device by Google with the LG G Watch and they continue to make strides improving their wearables. The LG G Watch Urbane is the best looking watch they have created to date and it is an improvement to their G Watch R. This thread will be updated with reviews, specs, and pricing for those interested in making this their Android smart watch of choice.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Lg was the first android wear device by Google with the LG G Watch and they continue to make strides improving their wearables. The LG G Watch Urbane is ARGUABLY the best looking watch they have created to date and it is an improvement to their G Watch R. This thread will be updated with reviews, specs, and pricing for those interested in making this their Android smart watch of choice.

Fixed. ;)

nateccnn

Reaction score
Got my Urbane yesterday. Package was delivered to work, which is in Reno, NV...and I was in Sacramento. OMG! The stress. I drove back late last night so too late to go to work and pick it up but it was on my desk this morning when I got to the office at 5am. Very Happy! Love the size and style.

Now to figure out what it does. I'm pretty sure it tells time.

Nate

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Got my Urbane yesterday. Package was delivered to work, which is in Reno, NV...and I was in Sacramento. OMG! The stress. I drove back late last night so too late to go to work and pick it up but it was on my desk this morning when I got to the office at 5am. Very Happy! Love the size and style.

Now to figure out what it does. I'm pretty sure it tells time.

Nate

Looking forward to a more in depth review.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

nateccnn

Reaction score
Looking forward to a more in depth review.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
OK...Here Ya Go!

So after 7 hours of actual use I found out it does in fact keep very accurate time.

Voice recognition seems pretty accurate but if there is background noise it picks that up too. Case in point...while showing the watch off to an individual I spoke into the watch "OK Google". IN the time it took for the watch to bring up Google I had a crowd behind me going "Wow...you got the android watch?" and so forth. So when I spoke into the watch saying "Email Bob xyz", google picked up "Email wow bob you x got y the z android watch" and it failed to impress my crowd LOL I jokingly told a friend that it appears I have to go find a dark corner of the building where I am all alone if I want to play with my watch. To which he replied that should not be a big deal since you've been doing the same for years when you want to....err...maybe I should not finish that thought.

Seriously though...it's a learning curve. I have to get used to when and where I can use certain features.

It's cool. I get google cards on my wrist. But you can't really do anything useful with the cards without touching the phone. I can reply to an email if the card is reporting a single email. But if it is a list of two or more emails the reply option is not there for obvious reasons. No way to pull up a single email once the second one hit the card. That's a bit annoying...why can't it go to a list and let me view the email? And then chose reply if I am so inclined?

I am looking forward to playing golf Sunday. Using GolfShot should be a bit easier with the watch. I'll report back more on that on Monday.

Back Country Navigation was kind of cool to play with. It reports your altitude and distance to or from a point. That should be fun when I go into the Mount Rose Wilderness tomorrow to go fly fishing.

Navigation. I took my wife to lunch and showed off the watch. She's kind of mad that I did not let her know I wanted one since our anniversary is next month. Why would I wait a month? Anyhow...as we left the sushi bar I said "OK Google...navigate to work." It worked. I was pleased. But it also launched the navigation app on my phone and the voice prompts were now coming from my pocket. There's a waste of battery power. I assume the watch has no GPS and needs the GPS from the phone...maybe I'm wrong about that. But still...could it not pull GPS from the phone without actually launching the Goggle Maps app? I'm sure this is a limitation on the technology at this time and I bet in a year or two we will see the technology solve this issue. Put a GPS in the watch and give me an option if I want to launch something on my phone too.

So...even though the recent AW update allows me to leave my phone at home and still let the watch talk to it...it still needs to be tethered. I can deal with that for now but I sure hope that tech improves over time.

Don't get me wrong. I am absolutely happy with the watch. I hated my old watch and was in the market to replace it. I was going to buy...wait for it...a watch. And as far as watches go, the LG Watch Urabne does tell time and looks awesome on my wrist. I looked at all the other AW watches and planned to buy one two weeks ago but I just had to wait for the Urbane...I am glad I waited. I got a gorgeous watch...and it's COOL that it does some things with my phone. I just want more before I buy another. This technology has a ways to go. And I am excited about where it is going.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
OK...Here Ya Go!

So after 7 hours of actual use I found out it does in fact keep very accurate time.

Voice recognition seems pretty accurate but if there is background noise it picks that up too. Case in point...while showing the watch off to an individual I spoke into the watch "OK Google". IN the time it took for the watch to bring up Google I had a crowd behind me going "Wow...you got the android watch?" and so forth. So when I spoke into the watch saying "Email Bob xyz", google picked up "Email wow bob you x got y the z android watch" and it failed to impress my crowd LOL I jokingly told a friend that it appears I have to go find a dark corner of the building where I am all alone if I want to play with my watch. To which he replied that should not be a big deal since you've been doing the same for years when you want to....err...maybe I should not finish that thought.

Seriously though...it's a learning curve. I have to get used to when and where I can use certain features.

It's cool. I get google cards on my wrist. But you can't really do anything useful with the cards without touching the phone. I can reply to an email if the card is reporting a single email. But if it is a list of two or more emails the reply option is not there for obvious reasons. No way to pull up a single email once the second one hit the card. That's a bit annoying...why can't it go to a list and let me view the email? And then chose reply if I am so inclined?

I am looking forward to playing golf Sunday. Using GolfShot should be a bit easier with the watch. I'll report back more on that on Monday.

Back Country Navigation was kind of cool to play with. It reports your altitude and distance to or from a point. That should be fun when I go into the Mount Rose Wilderness tomorrow to go fly fishing.

Navigation. I took my wife to lunch and showed off the watch. She's kind of mad that I did not let her know I wanted one since our anniversary is next month. Why would I wait a month? Anyhow...as we left the sushi bar I said "OK Google...navigate to work." It worked. I was pleased. But it also launched the navigation app on my phone and the voice prompts were now coming from my pocket. There's a waste of battery power. I assume the watch has no GPS and needs the GPS from the phone...maybe I'm wrong about that. But still...could it not pull GPS from the phone without actually launching the Goggle Maps app? I'm sure this is a limitation on the technology at this time and I bet in a year or two we will see the technology solve this issue. Put a GPS in the watch and give me an option if I want to launch something on my phone too.

So...even though the recent AW update allows me to leave my phone at home and still let the watch talk to it...it still needs to be tethered. I can deal with that for now but I sure hope that tech improves over time.

Don't get me wrong. I am absolutely happy with the watch. I hated my old watch and was in the market to replace it. I was going to buy...wait for it...a watch. And as far as watches go, the LG Watch Urabne does tell time and looks awesome on my wrist. I looked at all the other AW watches and planned to buy one two weeks ago but I just had to wait for the Urbane...I am glad I waited. I got a gorgeous watch...and it's COOL that it does some things with my phone. I just want more before I buy another. This technology has a ways to go. And I am excited about where it is going.
Regarding email, with Gmail, you CAN still separate multiple emails. Instead of scrolling over when you have more than one, tap that card first. They'll divide and you can read, reply, delete separately. (I think. I know you can delete separately for sure. I really only use voice to text for texting & the occasional Facebook message.)

Sent from my Note 4

nateccnn

Reaction score
Good to know about the gmail. I use Exchange and hopefully that functionality will come in the future for my use.

I noticed one more minor annoyance. Friday after work I met up with a buddy at a bar. Was showing off the features. No way could I get voice recognition to work due to the level of noise in the bar. Also, on the way to the bar he kept texting me asking where I was. I tried replying to him with voice but there are too many options that need to be answered after it gets the message set...wants to know if I want to send it to his home number, mobile number or MMS number. While driving it was unsafe to flip through those so it was basically useless until I got to the bar...at which point it was pointless. Too bad it doesn't speak those questions and allow for voice input to answer.

nateccnn

Reaction score
Congrats on your new device @nateccnn!
Did you go with the silver or gold model?

S5 tap'n
Silver was the only option when I ordered it through Vz. Fortunately that's the color I wanted. Black band. Not a terrible band but my intention was to replace it with a silver link band anyhow so who cares what color it is?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Good to know about the gmail. I use Exchange and hopefully that functionality will come in the future for my use.

I noticed one more minor annoyance. Friday after work I met up with a buddy at a bar. Was showing off the features. No way could I get voice recognition to work due to the level of noise in the bar. Also, on the way to the bar he kept texting me asking where I was. I tried replying to him with voice but there are too many options that need to be answered after it gets the message set...wants to know if I want to send it to his home number, mobile number or MMS number. While driving it was unsafe to flip through those so it was basically useless until I got to the bar...at which point it was pointless. Too bad it doesn't speak those questions and allow for voice input to answer.
That must have something to do with the way you've got contacts saved or the app you/re using. If someone texts me, I swipe over and hit reply, speak my message, and it sends it to the number they texted from automatically unless I tap cancel before the timer runs out.

That's using hangouts. FB messenger has similar functionality. However, to initiate a text from the main screen of the watch, I simply tap it or say Ok Google, Text Holly, I'll be a bit late tonight (or whatever the message is). However, I've just about only ever done THAT with contacts that only have a cell number. Can't recall whether or not I've used it to text someone like my parents, who I have multiple numbers for because they insist on keeping their landline in case of emergency. Again, having a specific number set as "primary" or default might make all the difference there.

nateccnn

Reaction score
That must have something to do with the way you've got contacts saved or the app you/re using. If someone texts me, I swipe over and hit reply, speak my message, and it sends it to the number they texted from automatically unless I tap cancel before the timer runs out.

That's using hangouts. FB messenger has similar functionality. However, to initiate a text from the main screen of the watch, I simply tap it or say Ok Google, Text Holly, I'll be a bit late tonight (or whatever the message is). However, I've just about only ever done THAT with contacts that only have a cell number. Can't recall whether or not I've used it to text someone like my parents, who I have multiple numbers for because they insist on keeping their landline in case of emergency. Again, having a specific number set as "primary" or default might make all the difference there.

I did not swipe and hit reply this time. I simple said OK Google, text message Robbie. As I was driving I really did not want to take my eyes off the road to do the swipe thingy.

I'm going to take a closer look at the defaults in my contacts. I do know that if I initiate the text from my phone using OK Google it doesn't seem to ask me which number to send it to unless I have a mobile number and a MMS number (which many of my employees have since we use Google Voice for texting clients at work).

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Man...I've got the bug for a new toy and I'm having a hard time not justifying picking up an Urbane. The price isn't much more than my monthly car payment and I've got the money from my tax return to finish paying the car off AND get a new watch...Still not sure if it's enough of an upgrade from my OG g watch to justify spending full price, but I like the idea of playing with the added sensors and having Wifi available to stay tethered even when out of BT range and the g watch will never have that. Not to mention, I just watched a video on it that showed it with the wrist gestures, quick access to contacts, and emoji drawing features that I was mildly excited about when I heard about the update and knew I'd never get wifi.

Maybe I'll stop by my local VZW and see if they've got a working model to play with...