LG Takes Display Tech to New Level; Unveils 5-inch 440ppi HD Display for Smartphones

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
lgdisplay-5-incher.jpg

For pixel density, the Apple iPhone's Retina display has been the top dog of the smartphone display tech world for some time. That has now changed. LG just unveiled their newest truly HD smartphone display. It's a bit on the extra-large size, but it definitely packs a gorgeous punch. Their new AH-IPS (Advanced High Performance In-Plane Switching) LCD screen is 5 inches, and has a true HD 1920x1080 (1080p). Furthermore, this new screen tech packs in a whopping 440 pixels per inch pixel (ppi) density, compared to the iPhone's 330ppi display. LG shared a statement along with the announcement of the new screen, "The naked eye is unable to distinguish between individual pixels."

Additionally, their new AH-IPS technology, provides wider viewing angles, an improved color palette and faster touch-response times. Here's a quote with some final details,

The new LG screen, which will be released in the second half of 2012, will be on display in June at the SID 2012 Display Week trade show in Boston.

Source: CNET

dzone67

Reaction score
Not to sure when you say the iPhone's Retina display "has been the top dog?" my Rezound has a much more better screen and has been out for quite some time now...

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not to sure when you say the iPhone's Retina display "has been the top dog?" my Rezound has a much more better screen and has been out for quite some time now...

The iPhone has been revered as having the best screen for quite some time. The GNex and Rezound certainly have incredible screens and are on par with the iPhone (at least) imo. However, many are defiant that Apple's retina display is vastly superior.

mcjonesy

Reaction score
The iPhone display is made by LG, so this is really nothing new. It's just the next logical step forward for the "top dog" of mobile displays.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

My full sentence was, "For pixel density, the Apple iPhone's Retina display has been the top dog of the smartphone display tech world for some time." When you put it in the context it was given, it makes more sense. I wasn't saying that subjectively the iPhone's display was better, I was simply speaking in terms of "pixel density." Ultimately, it really depends upon the individual person as to what they think looks better. I personally agree with you that there are displays I have seen that look equal to or better than the iPhone, but the article was referring to the hardware specs. ;)

Jeyman

Reaction score
I hope not to many buy into this size, really want to keep my phone size under 4.8in(with how the bezel is being cut down 4.8 is like the max for a normal jeans pocket)

ThirtyftFL

Reaction score
The ppi of the rezound is over 341. 720 on a 4.3" screen.

Last edited:

combatmedic870

Reaction score
Looks good! This was the next thing coming, 1080p screen. I wonder whats next? 5 inch is a little big though. 1080p 4.3-4.7 will be coming very soon.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I hope not to many buy into this size, really want to keep my phone size under 4.8in(with how the bezel is being cut down 4.8 is like the max for a normal jeans pocket)

hopefully bezel-less is just around the corner. 4.8 inches without a bezel would be the perfect size.

acousticshade

Reaction score
Rezound retina display FTW. Rezound is top dog for me, wouldn't trade for an I-phone ever.

But seriously, I thought anything over the 330 mark was not supposed to be noticable to the normal viewer. I guess this screen is for super heros and aliens.