LG G5 Rumors Already Hit the Web Suggesting 'iris scanner security'

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
biometric-iris-scanners.jpg

Considering the LG G4 isn't even fully released yet, it's probably too soon to be looking at LG G5 rumors, but when they are this intriguing we can't help but share them. Supposedly, the fifth generation LG G Series device will include some high tech security that sounds too good to be true. Instead of the "potentially soon to be retro" fingerprint scanner, LG is planning to equip the G5 with a biometric iris scanner for security.

The intel revealed indicated that LG has been working directly with a company called Irience in order to push this technology quickly to market. The source also revealed that LG has already completed the hardware module for the device, and is simply polishing the algorithms which will increase the recognition range from 12in (30cm) to a solid 20in (50cm).

This seems like something out of a Sci-Fi movie, but would be incredible if true. Of course, we will have to wait and see how accurate the technology is before passing judgment. What do you folks think? Would this be useful cool tech or just PR fodder?

Source: WhoHired

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think there are a lot of barriers to overcome before this could really be incorporated in a smartphone. Normally an infrared light source and camera are used for iris recognition (IR) technology. This is done to reduce or eliminate the reflections from the cornea with normal visible light. For IR tech to work quickly, the pupil has to be a fairly constant size from measurement to measurement. Normal ambient light can make wide variations in pupil size, hence the need to either have the eye in an eye cup that will shield it from ambient light sources or at the very least have very controlled lighting in the area used for the IR scanner. Getting an infrared light source and camera in a smart phone might be difficult, but not impossible. Using it in all different lighting conditions is a completely different story and problem to overcome.
Interesting that the story links LG with Irience. LG used to own their own IR tech company and spun it off as Iris ID. Not that they would have to use them or that the tech isn't better supported by another company, but just interesting that they used to own an IR company.
Definitely will have to wait and see on this one.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I could get behind this, provided it's almost instantaneous. I don't like to be bothered with security codes - easier just not to do anything too sensitive on my phone. I should enable it away from home or work, but I just haven't done it.

I'd probably look into some sort of bluetooth keyfob to eliminate the worry. I think that's the best option out there, since your keys or maybe smartwatch are always nearby. Haven't researched it, but I wouldn't want to be bothered charging a keyfob more than once a week.

Yep, Motorola Keylink is the way to go.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Er yep, because using a fingerprint is just too much of a hassle.

+1 on Moto Keylink. I think that uses NFC

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Er yep, because using a fingerprint is just too much of a hassle.

It is. I hate having to press the power button to wake my phone (fortunately Moto Assist solved that) and then even just swipe to get to my home screen. My preference would be straight to my home screen just picking my phone up.

Try tracking your workouts in the gym and having to swipe/wake your phone after every set and see how long before you get annoyed. I guess I have to use a location preference to keep the display always on there.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I think there are a lot of barriers to overcome before this could really be incorporated in a smartphone. Normally an infrared light source and camera are used for iris recognition (IR) technology. This is done to reduce or eliminate the reflections from the cornea with normal visible light. For IR tech to work quickly, the pupil has to be a fairly constant size from measurement to measurement. Normal ambient light can make wide variations in pupil size, hence the need to either have the eye in an eye cup that will shield it from ambient light sources or at the very least have very controlled lighting in the area used for the IR scanner. Getting an infrared light source and camera in a smart phone might be difficult, but not impossible. Using it in all different lighting conditions is a completely different story and problem to overcome.
Interesting that the story links LG with Irience. LG used to own their own IR tech company and spun it off as Iris ID. Not that they would have to use them or that the tech isn't better supported by another company, but just interesting that they used to own an IR company.
Definitely will have to wait and see on this one.
This ^ is a big +1