LG G4 Annihilates The Galaxy Note 5 In Speed Test!

Discussion in 'Android News' started by DroidModderX, Aug 20, 2015.

1. DroidModderX

DroidModderX Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,241

Wow I was really not expecting the above results! The LG G4 has some great specs. The G4 has a Snapdragon 808 six core processor clocked at 1.8Ghz and 3GB of Ram while the Note 5 has an Exynos 7420 octacore processor clocked at 2.1Ghz and 4GB of ram. On paper the Note 5 should be the clear winner, but once again Touchwiz slows things down for a Samsung device.

The first round test the speed of app launches. How fast can each device launch particular apps from scratch? The Note 5 is the clear winner in the first round opening apps for the first time blazingly fast. The Note 5 actually has a 7 app LEAD at one point!!! The difference is made in the LG G4's multitasking ability. The Note 5 kills all apps and has to reopen each app from scratch. When it has to reload AngryBirds from scratch it hangs giving the LG G4 a chance to run to the finish line.

This race reminded me of the tortoise and the hare. The Note 5 raced ahead and took a nap while the LG G4 snuck its way to the finish line ahead of the Note 5. Why does Touchwiz force close all apps? It really handicaps it's ability to multitask. Then again you could argue that the Note 5 launches most low intensity apps from scratch so fast that in the grand scheme of things it shouldn't matter. This could actually lead to the saving of resources causing better overall battery life. What are your thoughts do you thing the Note 5's management of memory cripples the device, or is this for the better.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Caesars

Caesars Senior Member

Ratings:
    +117
    Just another reason to be "meh" instead of having the new note pre ordered. That and I love my g4.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

3. Ollie

Ollie Droid Does

Ratings:
    +2,480
    Current Phone Model:
    Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
    That's pretty impressive! With Tmobile's new Jump On Demand plan I might have to try out both of these phones.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Caesars

Caesars Senior Member

Ratings:
    +117
    Loving my jod!

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  5. New2u

New2u Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +83
    I've never been a big fan of people doing their own speed tests and posting them because you have no idea what the devices have on them. It's very easy to skew the results with phones. I'm not saying that what happened here but it is quite possible. I think both are going to be great devices.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Dark Lazer

Dark Lazer Active Member

Ratings:
    +74
    Is this really considered an "annihilation"?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Vepaot

Vepaot Silver Member

Ratings:
    +258
    Current Phone Model:
    LG G5 (LS992)
    Yes because after the initial loading of all the apps, the G4 just blew past Samsung to finish that much faster. And that was after a minute of usage. That time adds up significantly for anyone that uses their phones frequently throughout the day.

8. DroidModderX

DroidModderX Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,241
    If it makes you feel better the G4 has been used for a month and has lots of apps installed. The note 5 was unboxed the day of the video and I installed facebook, twitter, and angry birds for the video. The LG G4 still won. 0.0

• Like Like x 2
  9. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,455
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    I actually think this is a better test than some of the benchmark tests that just run through things automatically. This kind of test is more inline with how I use my device. Quite often, I'll get a facebook notification and check it. While I've got my phone in hand and the screen on, I'll skim through twitter, might as well play a level of Angry Birds or check in on my Vault in Fallout Shelter, then someone responded to my comment on facebook.

I notice this same situation with my Note 4 that we see in this video on the 5. Play a game and go do a couple more things, come back and the game has to load up again. They load quick enough, but it's still nice when I come back to a game and see that I didn't do enough stuff for it to have to load and can get right back to playing.

10. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief

Ratings:
    +4,254
    Love the tortoise and the hare analogy! Great Stuff @DroidModderX !

• Like Like x 1
  11. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +772
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel 2XL
    So is this just a difference in how the G4 and Note5 manage memory differently?

12. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,348
    But at the end of the day how's your battery holding up? If closing things out makes the battery last a full day instead of going dead during the day then the tortuous/rabbit analogy is skewed because the finish line (phone dies) is different. Take away the tortuous nap (plug in) and it doesn't even make the finish line much less win for power users such as us. I'll take a 1/8 second lag over a 1 hour plug in any day.

Support Our Troops !!!
    <><
    Beast Mode 4

Search tags for this page

lg g4 beast mode