LG G4 Benchmarks Show Snapdragon 808 Chipset

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
gfx-bench-lg-g4.jpg

A strange new device just popped up on the GFXBench website for a round of benchmarking. It's supposedly the LG G4 (F500x model), but what makes it odd is that it only has a Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 chipset powering its core. This is obviously a head-scratching decision if it turns out this is the final retail version of the LG G4 flagship.

Perhaps LG wanted to avoid any potential over-heating issues with this device, which is why they opted for the toned-down hexa-core Qualcomm chip instead of the octa-core Snapdragon 810. Based upon LG's assertion that the G4 will not be their top-end device this year, it could also have something to do with that. Maybe LG is planning to surprise the world with an all new tier of flagship beyond their G Line.

At any rate, here are the rest of the specs which showed up in the benchmark:
  • 5.5-inch Display (2560 x 1440) -534 pixels per inch
  • Snapdragon 808 64-bit, hexa-core (4+2) processor here - four ARM Cortex-A53 and two ARM Cortex-A57 Adreno 418 GPU
  • 3GB of RAM
  • 32GB of internal storage
  • 16-megapixel main camera - 4K UHD video capture
  • 8-megapixel selfie front camera
What do you think of this news if it turns out true? A bit of a backwards step for LG?

Here's our dedicated LG G4 section for more discussion: LG G4 Android Forum at DroidForums.net

Source: PhoneArena

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Interesting! Could this be a result of "heat gate" and the overheating issues experienced with a previous 810 chip?

S5 tap'n

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
I have been so impressed with the G2 and G3 - am having high hopes for the G4...

The G3 remains on of my top devices to date :)...

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
We have a G3 in the family and it is very nice. There were a couple of oddities about, but I was super impressed with the overall size they squeezed that screen into. Didn't LG go on record saying that that had fixed the 810 heat issue for the G4?

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
They said that in reference to the G Flex 2. They never revealed what was in the G4. It looks like they might have needed to adjust their strategy.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why get this phone when the LG G5 will be out next year? :p

But um...this phone still looks BEAST.

PBarn

Reaction score
If the software/hardware combination can work efficiently enough and give the user an experience that's as good or better, does it really matter if its 808 or 810?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If the software/hardware combination can work efficiently enough and give the user an experience that's as good or better, does it really matter if its 808 or 810?
I don't know what chip is in my G2 but it's snappier than my Note4. Not that the Note4 isn't super duper fast but the G2 with animations off is pulentee fast.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The S800 is in the G2. And I agree. If the rumor of them reworking the user experience to provide and more fluid interface is true, it shouldn't matter too much which they use.

on the move..

R850R

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
R00ted S3
Yep...808 is 64-bit, still big.LITTLE configuration, except 2 large cores do the work and then switch to the 4 small cores in standby.