LG Electronics shifts focus from smartphones to TV

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I hope it is a rumor. I really do. I love this phone. And I am sure they could make the follow-up a Samsung killer with it's growing popularity. The G2 is making people take notice that there are other options besides Samsung. It is being marketed very well and being received by the general public and tech enthusiasts. To jump ship when they have a winner on their hands is a completely dumb move.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I hope it is a rumor. I really do. I love this phone. And I am sure they could make the follow-up a Samsung killer with it's growing popularity. The G2 is making people take notice that there are other options besides Samsung. It is being marketed very well and being received by the general public and tech enthusiasts. To jump ship when they have a winner on their hands is a completely dumb move.

That's part of the problem. LG wants to be the next Samsung BUT investors want Samsung like return numbers NOW. LG hurt itself in the past with poor returns, no matter the reason, and didn't get the benefit of free global advertising by Apple bringing their devices to the main stream public eye via litigation news the way Samsung did.
The tin hatter in me thinks it's more than coincidental that every time numbers start to fall for Samsung, who just so happens to make a bunch of parts for, Apple comes to their rescue via trial news. Last I remember LG lost its contract with Apple, as a secondary supplier, for screen parts after iPad 2 screens made by them were the said to be the source of the headaches some owners were getting when their shiny new device had wet glue inside and other bugaboos .

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
s pen aholic in Beast Mode (Notetoo)

Last edited:

Big Ry

Reaction score
We're not talking about some up and coming startup. LG is a gigantic company that sells all kinds of stuff. I just can't imagine them calling it quits so quick. It's like getting a gym membership, then quitting after your first set in the squat rack

Tapped from my G2

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
We're not talking about some up and coming startup. LG is a gigantic company that sells all kinds of stuff. I just can't imagine them calling it quits so quick. It's like getting a gym membership, then quitting after your first set in the squat rack

Tapped from my G2

Maybe they are realizing, unlike Samsung has yet to figure out, that being a jack of all trades and a master of none is not the way to go. Why do you think Motorola has such superior hardware?? Because building communication hardware is all that is all they do. Both Samsung and LG have their fingers in everything from phones to refrigerators.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
nah. moto build quality is second to none. i would go as far as say it is superior to apple.

my mother still uses moto v3m flip phone that she got in 2006. all others would have broken in 2 by now.

moto only weakness right now is camera and they know it.

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
nah. moto build quality is second to none. i would go as far as say it is superior to apple.

my mother still uses moto v3m flip phone that she got in 2006. all others would have broken in 2 by now.

moto only weakness right now is camera and they know it.

Very true. They have build quality that is second to none. But yes their cameras have always been lacking.

Tap'd from my LG G2

Big Ry

Reaction score
I do not feel the same. They make "solid" devices, that feel as though they are indestructible. But I do not think they are in any way tougher or more reliable than the next manufacturer. I do think they get the best reception, but I've still had numerous connectivity issues with their devices, both radios and Wi-Fi. In my experience, their speakers are mediocre at best. And even though they run the same processors and GPUs as the next manufacturer, their implementation seems to be pretty poor. I have not had a Moto device that isn't plagued with freezing, lagging, screen rewrites, and reboots. Maybe just their skin, who knows. And yes, their cameras are compete trash. Might as well not even put a camera in their phones.

Tapped from my G2

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I do not feel the same. They make "solid" devices, that feel as though they are indestructible. But I do not think they are in any way tougher or more reliable than the next manufacturer. I do think they get the best reception, but I've still had numerous connectivity issues with their devices, both radios and Wi-Fi. In my experience, their speakers are mediocre at best. And even though they run the same processors and GPUs as the next manufacturer, their implementation seems to be pretty poor. I have not had a Moto device that isn't plagued with freezing, lagging, screen rewrites, and reboots. Maybe just their skin, who knows. And yes, their cameras are compete trash. Might as well not even put a camera in their phones.

Tapped from my G2

Guess everyone has different opinions. Moto has always given me the best reception. Every one I have owned has been smooth and bug free. With the exception of updates that cause issues. But those are usually resolved. When I just demoed the Droid Maxx the speaker was extremely loud and very clear. To the point I had to turn it down. Way louder than the G2. As far as the cameras the Moto X and new Droids are a major improvement over previous models. Still not up to snuff with Samsung, Apple or the G2. But still a major difference.

Your experiences with Motorola mirror mine with Samsung. So in every case YMMV.

Tap'd from my LG G2

Big Ry

Reaction score
Guess everyone has different opinions. Moto has always given me the best reception. Every one I have owned has been smooth and bug free. With the exception of updates that cause issues. But those are usually resolved. When I just demoed the Droid Maxx the speaker was extremely loud and very clear. To the point I had to turn it down. Way louder than the G2. As far as the cameras the Moto X and new Droids are a major improvement over previous models. Still not up to snuff with Samsung, Apple or the G2. But still a major difference.

Your experiences with Motorola mirror mine with Samsung. So in every case YMMV.

Tap'd from my LG G2

True. I just don't think it's fair to write off LG as being crap when the few devices they have released since they hit the scene have been pretty solid. The nexus 4 was a big hit. And although the nexus 5 seems to have some bugs, it's really no worse off than any other nexus device. I think that theory about nexus device build quality being subpar is spot on. Though it's clearly not a manufacturer issue since there are problems across the board with LG, Asus, samsung, even htc

Tapped from my G2

Astrix

Reaction score
“Reports of LG shifting its priorities away from smartphones are completely untrue.

This is a rumor based on non-credible sources and uninformed speculation. We are more committed than ever that we will be a major player in the mobile space. But don’t just take our word on this, look at the products we’ve introduced this year as evidence of our commitment and capabilities.”

Source:AndroidHeadLines

TapaTalking from Republic™Of Android