LG News Part 1: LG Sold 59 Million Smartphones in 2014 - Doubles Net Profit

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
LG-logo-all-purple-backg.jpg

We have a slew of LG stories to crank out for you guys this morning. The first of which is regarding their recent financial earnings call. Apparently, 2014 was a very good year for LG. They sold a whopping 59.1 Million smartphones last year, which was a 24% increase from the previous year. This increased sales allowed the South Korean company to post double the net profit from 2013.

In fact, the third quarter for LG was their best in five years with 16.8 million smartphones sold. Despite the rosy outlook for last year, LG is playing it safe with a conservative outlook for this year, stating that 2015 should be a, "challenging year ahead with greater competition globally from various manufacturers." LG plans to work on "improving its brand power, operating more efficiently, and focusing on selective key markets."

Interesting... it seems that it wasn't just Apple chipping away at Samsung's big lead in the smartphone world. We had several Chinese manufacturers like Lenovo, Huawei and others, but Samsung was also beset by LG at every turn. It's tough to be the king of the hill.

Source: LG

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Funny that LG announces growth, but still a plan to focus selectively while Samsung announces more loss and has said they're going to focus selectively, and then releases phones that don't quite fit that model.

Good job LG!

I may be seriously considering an LG device when it's time to upgrade from the Note 4.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I'm riding out this year with the Note Edge. Next spring I may consider scaling down to a 5.5" or smaller screen. I'm hoping at that time there will be some great contenders in the phone arena that can pull me away from Samsung. I doubt it, but it would be great for the entire industry.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'll keep the 4 until I've at least paid enough to edge up, but now that I dropped unlimited data, I may wait even longer & take the subsidy.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

boidsonly

Reaction score
It is good to see them improving the bottom line-it gives them motivation to make more top end phones. But the Chinese, in the end, with all the tech our Corp's have given them will destroy the Western Economy. If they can't, they will buy it outright.
Motorola, IBM, Smithfield Hams, etc. anyone?.....Don't believe me? Here are all the Free Trade Zones that your local/state/federal gov't has sold to foreign interests-mostly the Red Chinese:
List of Foreign-Trade Zones by State

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
It is good to see them improving the bottom line-it gives them motivation to make more top end phones. But the Chinese, in the end, with all the tech our Corp's have given them will destroy the Western Economy. If they can't, they will buy it outright.
Motorola, IBM, Smithfield Hams, etc. anyone?.....Don't believe me? Here are all the Free Trade Zones that your local/state/federal gov't has sold to foreign interests-mostly the Red Chinese:
List of Foreign-Trade Zones by State

I just read an interesting article about Xiaomi firing up their legal team to tackle their expansion nightmare concerning patents.

Xiaomi is about to hand it to Korea and the U.S. as soon as they can produce enough phones to sell around the world.