Legal Verdict Against Samsung Might Have Helped Their Sales According to New Study

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Aug 30, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,735
    [​IMG]

According to the managing director of equity research at Global Equities Research, Trip Chowdhry, the verdict against Samsung might have actually helped the sales of the Galaxy S III some right after the trial. According to an unscientific study he did, there was a surge of sales of the Galaxy S III on the weekend following the announcement of the verdict. Additionally, according to earlier reports, during this entire last month the Galaxy S III has outsold the iPhone 4S in the United States. Here is a quote with some of the details,

Now, of course, it's important to mention that part of the reason the SGS3 has outsold the iPhone 4S is because many folks already know that the iPhone 5 will be coming out soon, and are likely holding off on their purchases. The launch of the iPhone 5 will be huge, so it will be interesting to see how well the current and future Android lineup, including the S3 hold up to the new Apple juggernaut. We are pretty confident it will do just fine.

Source: S3Forums via Forbes

2. 94lt1

94lt1 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,309
    Something I've learned in my short life..bad press is still press.. everybody is looking at Samsung right now... and so the new devices they're announcing, are being seen by even more people than normal...

There's also a buzz from people, saying that Samsung is so much like iOS and its half the price... so its a bargain to get a samsung.. same thing, half the price....

While I don't agree with all of that...others may..:)

3. NeoPhoenixTE

NeoPhoenixTE Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Apple: Samsung stole a ton of our ideas!
    Public: So that means Samsung has integrated a large chunk of Apple's features?
    Apple: Yes! :(
    Public: And they've been undercutting y'all to profit on your features?
    Apple: Yes! :unsure:
    Public: So Samsung phones have a ton of Apple features, but they're at a lower price? SCORE! :D
    Apple: ..h-hey! Hold on a second! :eek:hmy:

:icon_twisted:

4. mykl376

mykl376 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Be careful what you wish for, Apple....

Also, both companies will be totally fine after all this.

5. nikecar

nikecar Active Member

Ratings:
    +19
    i hope not. I hope Apple, in their arrogance, calls 2012, the 1984 of Apple's dominance when someone else throws a sledgehammer into a screen of Jobbie

6. Droidram56

Droidram56 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Of course the s III is still outselling the 4s. There is no comparison. A better indicator will be a comparison with the sales of the iPhone 5, assuming it is released in September as announced.

7. MissionImprobable

MissionImprobable Silver Member

Ratings:
    +85
    The best comparison will really be all top-tier Androids vs the iPhone 5 because there are some AMAZING devices dropping before years end. I wish I were filthy, disgustingly rich just so I could buy them all to toy with.

8. Droidram56

Droidram56 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Good point. It will be an interesting 6-9 months.

9. TatDroid

TatDroid Active Member

Ratings:
    +172
    Despite the fact that iPhone sales might be down due to the impending release of a new model, I still find it amazing that any one Android model would be outselling it - given that there are dozens of great Android phones available for sale right now.

The steady, relentless march of Android continues ever onward!

Oh, and one other thing: the subsidized price of a Galaxy S3 is exactly the same as the base iPhone 4S. So can we PLEASE stop with the "only sell because they're cheap" crap?!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  10. Malvado

Malvado DF News Team/Mod Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Well the problem this caused for Apple is that since the trial ended with a decision basically saying that Samsung is the same as Apple, now people are realizing that since they are the same, why would they spend the extra money on Apple when they could go with Samsung for less.

11. FoxKat

FoxKat Resident Novelist...LOL! Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,646
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo, and Nexus 6!
    YEAH! LOL! But there's more...

Public: And with Samsung (and other Android phones), I can sync my bookmarks, search history and even usernames and passwords on the Chrome browser on my phone?
    Apple: Now that's not fair...that's a Google application!
    Public: But don't you have access to Google on your phone too?
    Apple: Well, yeah...but...
    :mad:
    Public: And I can copy my files, music, pictures, etc. right off my PC to the phone without any conversion software, and it works!!?
    Apple: Hey, iTunes is, well...like GOD, and EVERYBODY needs GOD, right?
    Public: Apple, you've been drinking too much of that punch.
    Apple: We call it nectar...
    Public: Ok, back to features, I can actually unlock my phone with my face via the camera?
    Apple: Well, we all know that isn't secure.
    Public: If I want secure, I'll put a pin on it, I just want it to be somewhat out of reach from curious hands...
    Apple: :angry:
    Public: And I can make my home screen any way I want it, widgets, app icons, folders, the works...or nothing at all?
    Apple: But the matrix of perfectly lined icons brings order into your life.
    Public: And I don't have to show certain application icons on the home screen if I don't want to!
    Apple: But they'll feel unwanted when hidden in the app tray!
    Public: And I can use any launcher app I want, fully customizable, and even changing the background wallpaper into ANIMATED wallpapers that interact?!
    Apple: But who needs that?
    Public: OK, so how about Swype? I would rather simply make gestures on the screen rather than pecking away at it like a woodpecker!
    Apple: But that key clicking sound is so cool!
    Public: What about the navigation...I can use Google navigation and now with downloadable maps I can even navigate without any internet access while on the road and never get lost!
    Apple: A little adventure off the beaten path at times brings balance to your otherwise stable lives!
    Public: Alright...but how about NFC...I can tap another phone and send data, pictures, even applications from my phone to another simply and without wires, what about that?!
    Apple: Why would you want to share anything...oh, wait...um, well, you could upload it to the iCloud, and then the other person could download it! YEAH! Gotcha!
    Public: Without internet access, such as in the middle of the ocean on a cruiseliner?

Apple: I GIVE UP!

12. FoxKat

FoxKat Resident Novelist...LOL! Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,646
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo, and Nexus 6!
    Great point about the outselling of the iPhone by just ONE of the Android phones! Imagine if you added up ALL the Android sales and compared to iPhone's 4S. Talk about a smackdown!

13. Valvoline

Valvoline Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Nice!!!!!!!!!

14. jroc

jroc Silver Member

Ratings:
    +61
    All I can say is....AH HA...lol.

Samsung might not even have to spend much money for marketing and ads now...