Samsung Crushes the iPhone in Q2 with Double the Sales

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-galaxy-ahead-of-iphone-4s.jpeg

Here's the real reason why Apple is sue-happy, especially against Samsung. They must have seen the future, and it didn't look pretty. According to Juniper Research's estimates, the Q2 fiscal 2012 is a perfect example of how Samsung is dominating the competition. Samsung posted sell-through numbers that were double that of Apple, with 52 Million smartphones sold, while Apple's iphone only sold 26 Million and actually missed analyst estimates for the first time in a long time.

A decent chunk of those numbers came from over 10 Million sales of the new Galaxy S III, but of course, Samsung has a large variety of different smartphones out there at multiple price points, including all of their other Galaxy Series. In fact, Samsung is doing so well they are actually hurting sales of other Android manufacturers like HTC. This is the reason why Samsung has quickly risen to the top of the food chain in global smartphone sales. Additionally, their rise has been at the expense of other manufacturers as well, including RIM with only 7.4 Million devices sold and Nokia (the former number one smartphone maker in the world), who is down to 10.2 Million sales.

Of course, it is important to take a step back and remember that the iPhone 5 will be coming out in September or October of this year, and that quarter Apple will likely surge back strong. Still, for Apple, it must be disconcerting to see Samsung thoroughly trouncing them in sales by such a huge margin.

Source: SlashGear

Caesars

Reaction score
Apple had a great streak, in fact i expect them to be top dog again Q4 (at least in profit). I just wish they'd focus on evolving/new ideas instead of trying to legally ruin Motorola/HTC/Samsung. If apple actually did this, the consumer would win. Instead they want to make money (obviously) and go back to the days of rim with virtually zero other options and no innovation.

Googorola MAXX

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
I can't help but wonder how truly amazing Apple products would be if they used the billions they've been throwing away on litigious pursuits on R&D instead.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
I can't help but wonder how truly amazing Apple products would be if they used the billions they've been throwing away on litigious pursuits on R&D instead.

Word and word. As to Nokia and RIM, they both sank their own ships. Someone has already booted the Lumia predecessor with ICS and it is looking pretty sexy. Nokia backed the wrong horse by going Windows only.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, Apple sells phones at all price points, too. People ignore that they discount the older models.

Plus, Sammie's numbers include "feature"(?) phone. I don't think they sold 52M of what most would consider a true smartphone. As impressive as all this sounds, the SIII - a hot product that launched 2 months ago - sold only 10M phones and was still, presumably, outsold by the latest IPhone released last October.

jaybogg

Reaction score
Apple missed earnings estimate: Apple

So did Samsung: Samsung Rises After Forecast for Higher Phone, TV Demand - Bloomberg

The big difference here is that the iPhone is responsible for Apple's lagging quarterly performance and Samsung mobile devices helped carry their more diversified company through the quarter. Also at the bottom of the Bloomberg article I read this: "Samsung, the exclusive manufacturer of Apple-designed chips powering the iPhone and the iPad, has been diversifying from PC DRAM to more profitable semiconductor products used in mobile devices and servers." Samsung has their tentacles everywhere.

Samsung was a customer of a semiconductor industry company I used to work for. They were an extremely demanding customer, always the 900 lb gorilla in the room. This attitude was rivaled by only one other customer, Intel. Intel's attitude seemed more elitist in nature though. Samsung merely demanded very tough goals.