Samsung & Android Absolutely Crushing the Competition in Latest Gartner Tracking

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-blurple-press-event-sign.png

The latest Gartner Marketing Analytics are out and from the numbers they compiled it becomes obvious that Samsung and Android are completely destroying their competition. Here's a bullet point list of the most relevant figures below just to give you a quick glimpse of the domination:
  • Samsung sold 64.7 million smartphones which was 30.8% of the total global marketshare
  • This was a 59% increase from the 40.6 million it sold in the same quarter last year
  • For perspective, Apple sold 38.8 million iPhones during this same time which was an 18.2% market share
  • LG was in third with 10 million smartphones sold, or 4.8% total global marketshare
  • A win for Samsung translates into a win for Android to the tune of 74.4% of the global marketshare for smartphone operating systems
  • Conversely, iOS dropped to just 18.2% of the global marketshare (from 22.5%), Blackberry dropped to just 3% and Microsoft gained a point to 2.9%
It became obvious last year that Samsung and Android would start wrecking the competition, but to this degree so quickly is a bit unexpected. Keep in mind, that these numbers reflect the quarter before Samsung even released the Galaxy S4, so it hasn't been accounted for to derive these statistics.

Source: Gartner

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Apple used to be hanging in there consistently around 28% or so...looks like even Apple is wilting under Android's onslaught.

75% share is too much, though. I'm actually pulling for MS to get in the game. A 3rd player with 15-20% share would be good.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I agree with you both. Before you know it Apple will have another lawsuit saying they are being shoved out and their customers tricked and stolen. They will never admit they are losing their customers because of stagnation. One of my coworkers just bought an HTC One and I asked him why he switched from iOS to Android. He said he didn't care about that, he wanted the hardware of the phone, not the OS. To him, a non techy, he said the OS is comparable on both sides. They both offer apps, the internet, texting and all that jazz. He wanted the front speakers, the big screen (which looks damn good too BTW) and have a fast phone. Its stuff like that I think is why people are leaving Apple. They want the new bells and whistles of the hardware, not so much that the iPhone's gallery bounces when you scroll through the images, that you now have Apple's Maps and not google maps.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I haven't seen an original idea from Apple for a few years now. In this fast pace moving industry and with the advances of Android, knew it would be only a matter of time before their market share fell.