Samsung's Q3 Smartphone Sales Results Will Top Apple for the First Time

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
galaxy-nexus-and-other-samsung-phone.jpg

According to a report from industry insiders, Samsung beat Apple's third quarter results for smartphone sales for the first time. According to Apple's most recent earnings report, they sold 17.1 Million iPhones in Q3. Samsung doesn't publish specific smartphone sales numbers; however, a source from the WSJ was able to tally up the results and put the Korean manufacturer at over 20 Million smartphones for the same period.

The last sales report in quarter 2 was very close with Samsung coming just shy of matching Apple's numbers, so this new report isn't surprising. Here's a quote from the SlashGear article with Apple's CEO Tim Cook's take on the subject,
Apple CEO Tim Cook blamed media hype around the iPhone 5 earlier this week for the company’s performance in Q3, which fell short of market expectations. Speaking during the financial results call, Cook suggested that “speculation reached extreme highs” about the prospect of a considerably redesigned iPhone featuring, among other things, a larger display and an all-metal, teardrop shaped casing. Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer later insisted that the “biggest impact [on performance] was the rumors, which were very pervasive.”
With the recent announcement of the Galaxy Nexus and Google's Ice Cream Sandwich, Samsung's market pressure will only continue to mount against Apple.

These results from both Samsung and Apple have firmly shoved Nokia, once the largest cellphone manufacturer in the world, into third place. In fact, Nokia's sales for the third quarter slid dramatically downward by 38 percent. Nokia is banking on the idea that the Windows Phone 7 OS will rescue them.

Source: Android.net via SlashGear

GrillMouster

Reaction score
Makes sense. I'm sure that a bunch of folks held off of bying the iPhone 4 during Q3 in anticipation of the 4S being released in October, which falls in Q4. Apple was at its most vulnerable at the same time that Samsung's popular Galaxy S II was selling around the world and debuted in the US.

GBH2

Reaction score
But they all THOUGHT they were buying iPhones because they look the same. :) j/k

screaminz2002

Reaction score
The iPhone killer was 3g for another year and a phone that looks exactly the same. I considered it right up to 3g. Its kind of pathetic actually.

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't see how?

ICS is good, but not as good as iOS5.

iOS 5 added a revolutionary new notification system, and the ability to do magical things, like update your phone without a computer.

And we got amazing new voice command system, that can do things like send messages with your voice.

/s

pyro6128

Reaction score
I don't see how?

ICS is good, but not as good as iOS5.

iOS 5 added a revolutionary new notification system, and the ability to do magical things, like update your phone without a computer.

And we got amazing new voice command system, that can do things like send messages with your voice.

/s

I have to admit, you got me with the first two lines. At the 3rd it all made sense haha

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Read this too somewhere. Shipped does not = sold. We need to compare apples to apples.

Yep. Samsung did not sell 17 million smartphones in one quarter. Unless they had an explosion of sales out of the blue (which they didn't), we're talking about shipped here...

Samsung did this with the galaxy tab as well, where they said they sold millions and it turned out to be thousands...they don't give sales numbers though so we probably won't find out

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Car makers do the same thing - dealers buy it so shipped and sold are the same thing and the mfr targets a certain days on-hand in inventor, unless inventory is building beyond normal turnover shipped vs sold is just a timing difference. And, no, I don't see hundreds or thousands of Sammie phones sitting in warehouses or being given away. Sammie has been gaining ground on IPhone fast, and while I doubt they passed them this quarter, it will happen soon.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Car makers do the same thing - dealers buy it so shipped and sold are the same thing and the mfr targets a certain days on-hand in inventor, unless inventory is building beyond normal turnover shipped vs sold is just a timing difference. And, no, I don't see hundreds or thousands of Sammie phones sitting in warehouses or being given away. Sammie has been gaining ground on IPhone fast, and while I doubt they passed them this quarter, it will happen soon.

Well to be fair no one really sees a store's stock and I know I've never visited warehouses that hold phones. Samsung definitely sold a lot, but I find it hard to believe they sold 17 mil in a quarter...I don't really give them the benefit of the doubt after the galaxy tab thing. Remeber they said they sold two million and when pressed admitted that was shipments and had only sold a few thousand. See no reason why this would be different.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well to be fair no one really sees a store's stock and I know I've never visited warehouses that hold phones. Samsung definitely sold a lot, but I find it hard to believe they sold 17 mil in a quarter...I don't really give them the benefit of the doubt after the galaxy tab thing. Remeber they said they sold two million and when pressed admitted that was shipments and had only sold a few thousand. See no reason why this would be different.

Sales never trail shipments by much. They just don't. Samsung doesn't just ship Best Buy whatever Sammie wants to, and Best Buy doesn't get to send back hundreds of thousands of devices that don't sell. You order it you bought it.

And this is an analyst (granted, they do miss the mark more than occassionally) extrapolating sales from what I would guess would be segment (smartphone) revenues/profits.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Sales never trail shipments by much. They just don't. Samsung doesn't just ship Best Buy whatever Sammie wants to, and Best Buy doesn't get to send back hundreds of thousands of devices that don't sell. You order it you bought it.

who ever said they were being shipped to retailers.... all shipped means is that they left the manufacturing warehouse. In most cases they were shipped from the manufacturer to Samsung warehousing facilities all over the world.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
who ever said they were being shipped to retailers.... all shipped means is that they left the manufacturing warehouse. In most cases they were shipped from the manufacturer to Samsung warehousing facilities all over the world.

No, shipped has a fairly precise and generally accepted meaning when reporting financials. "Shipped" means to wholesalers/distributors/customers, not your own warehouse. Your definition of shipped is no different from production - there's a reason they are referring to units shipped rather than produced.