1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Launch apps by voice?

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR MAXX' started by LBJay, May 8, 2012.

1. LBJay

LBJay New Member

Ok I give up. My wife saw the new Verizon Droid commercial where the lady voice launches an app. She want to know what app is on the her maxx to do that?

I see nothing on the phone. Google Voice Commands doesn't do Apps. The people at the local Verizon store were clueless.

I know there are 3rd party apps to do it, but if Verizon highlights it specifically in a "Droid Does" commercial you'd think it was a "feature", wouldn't you?
    Last edited: May 8, 2012
  2. SANhacker

SANhacker New Member

I use Vlingo to "Open", "Text", "Call", "Search", "Find", etc. and it works great.
    i.e. "Open" Pandora
  3. jeff70

jeff70 New Member

you can try the voice command app already loaded in the phone app directory before trying a 3rd party solution

it is not listed in choices after you start the voice command app but if you say for example "open ScoreCenter" it will open my ESPN ScoreCenter app or any other app you want

I thought it was strange that the voice commands app didn't list opening apps by voice as one of the choices so I just tried "open ______" one day to see if it worked and it seemed to work fine for the limited times I tried it
    Last edited: May 8, 2012
  4. thaDroidz

thaDroidz New Member

Stock opens apps for me too!

----posted MAXXED OUT WITH dessert----
  5. doug494

doug494 New Member

I'm cruising on here because I need to upgrade my Droid X and was considering the Maxx

Anyway

On my X the voice command is "go to" to open an app.
  6. Sydman

Sydman Rescue Squad Premium Member

I have double tap home set to voice commands, and I double tap it and it asks for command I say "Open Dropbox" and it loads the program. Using stock Voice Commands.
  7. rosariorose9

rosariorose9 Member

Can't get that to work for me, but Vlingo does the job.
  8. jeff70

jeff70 New Member

can't get the double click of home to work or voice commands? if it's double click home setup is settings>applications>double tap home launch (pick your program)

I don't use the voice commands much but I may give Vlingo a try one of these days
  9. SallyC

SallyC Well-Known Member

WOW! How cool! Thanks for sharing that. I had no idea it did that because, as you say, it's not listed. Very cool!

Love this use for the double tap! I hadn't done anything with it because I felt like I had everything pretty much covered with various widgets. But with combining this with the (for me) newly discovered Open command is perfect.

Now I just have to remember the real name of my favorite apps. View attachment 49854 And it doesn't help when Google changes them!
  10. rosariorose9

rosariorose9 Member

Actually I can't get either to work! Don't know what the problem is with the double tap home screen function, but it's never worked on my Maxx.
  11. FoxKat

FoxKat Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Wow, it's so interesting how many features are on these phones that some consider nothing out of the ordinary and others (even experienced Android users) are completely unaware are even there! I've known about Voice Commands for ages (well, ages in smart phone terms, i.e. the last several months). It works incredibly well. Still, there are always things I discover from others that I didn't know as well. That's the beauty of this open forum. It is a true community of people helping people for the better of all.

Perhaps the US Government (among others) could learn a lesson or two here! :biggrin:
  12. SallyC

SallyC Well-Known Member

I totally agree, FoxKat. What's funny is I can't find 'Open' documented anywhere, including Google's Voice Action help page! Makes me wonder what other things it will do.

I'm going to have to start speaking to my phone more often! View attachment 49875
  13. papaford1963

papaford1963 New Member

I'm not sure what you saying for certain but if you are (double click home first) that is incorrect, I mean if your double clicking first..instead it is settings>applications>double tap home launch (pick your program)
  14. jeff70

jeff70 New Member

sry the way I worded it may have been strange you are right there is no double clicking the home button first

first go to settings>applications>double tap home launch (pick your program) then you can double click your home button to access whatever program you set up
  15. Sydman

Sydman Rescue Squad Premium Member

Always glad to pass on any small amount of knowledge I have about the Droids, however I am surprised I was able to teach you something. You have been quite impressive with your knowledge over these phones in such a short amount of time in being here. Still happy to help just the same :)
  16. jeff70

jeff70 New Member

lol np it's strange because I just recently saw one of those Droid commercials like the OP LBJay talked about and it got me thinking about where those voice commands could be found

It would have made it a whole lot more clearer imho if Google had just added a simple line like "go to <apps>" or "open <apps>" in the voice commands choices :)
  17. William_04_x

William_04_x Member

The different voice commands are extremely convenient when you're driving. There isn't much you can't do with voice commands.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums
  18. SallyC

SallyC Well-Known Member

Yes, and since it's not listed with the commands you can use - either on the app or their support page here - I'm wondering if this is something they recently added?

Now I feel like going on an "Easter egg" hunt with voice commands....who knows what else they can do?????????????? :icon_wink:
  19. Ghostwheel

Ghostwheel Member

I'm wondering how many unnecessary apps I've installed that duplicate native functions without my even knowing it. I'm sure there are dozens of improvements the RAZR has over the D1, but I just got used to using apps to accomplish them on the D1. I'm keeping Speaktoit Assistant though; I'd miss my little cartoon girl if I just went with built in voice commands. :biggrin:
  20. SallyC

SallyC Well-Known Member

HA! There are other commands not listed. For example, 'Check.' Try:

Check Status
    Check Voicemail

I'm betting there are others...hmm, this could be fun!:biggrin:
Search tags for this page

android launch apps with voice

android start app by voice
android voice command launch app
android voice commands open app

android voice launch app