Larry Page Confirms Google Glass Runs on Android; Also Praises New Motorola Devices

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
page-google-glasses.jpg

Larry Page, the CEO and Co-Founder of Google, made some very intriguing statements at the Google 2013 Q1 Conference call today. First, he indicated Google Glass will be running on the Android OS, confirming industry speculation. He didn't go into specifics as to the form or version of Android. Here's what he said in response to a query about how much people can expect to see engagement increment with new products like Glass,

“obviously, Glass runs on Android, so [Android] has been pretty transportable across devices, and I think that will continue.”

This is an exciting, but unsurprising confirmation that Google is planning to connect all of their devices under a single connected ecosystem. It will be interesting to see what cool ides developers will be able to come up with to combine Google Glass and Android smartphone/tablet functionality.

One of the other exciting things Mr. Page shared were comments regarding his enthusiasm for Motorola's next line of products. Here's what he said,

“Think about your device. Battery life is a challenge for most people. You shouldn’t need to carry around a charger to make it through the day. If your kid spills their drink on your tablet, the screen shouldn’t die. And when you drop your phone, it shouldn’t shatter.”

Having just seen Motorola’s upcoming products myself, I’m real excited about the potential there. In just under a year, they have accomplished a lot, and have impressive velocity and execution.”

As you can see, these are solid endorsements from Mr. Page and bodes well for the future of both line of products. Share your thoughts on Google & Motorola's next-gen tech.

Source: YouTube - Googleir

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I have a Galaxy S3 on AOKP and I don't carry a charger around with me. I don't have one at work either. My charger is on my nightstand where I plug it in at night with at least 30% battery life left. However, on stock TouchWiz, the battery doens't last anywhere near a day. I think optimization is key. Getting rid of the bloat is key. Throwing a bigger battery at a phone just treats a symptom but doesn't cure the issue.

jspradling7

Reaction score
"And in other news, it is confirmed that Google has indeed changed their name to Skynet. Now to John for a weekend weather update, John?"

Google's going to take over the world. " )

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Was there anybody who didn't think Glass would be running on android?

comk4ver

Reaction score
Agreed just watching the first video released was confirmation enough but it is an eye opener to hear from Mr. Google himself that Motorola products will be nothing to sneeze at. I hope that Larry is having the same battery life issues that we all are having. Otherwise, he needs to show us what he's got on his DROID.

Phreaker47

Reaction score
Moto has already proven with the Razr Maxx/HD that they can resolve the battery life problems without turning a device back into a brick.

They didn't really shrink the battery, but they shrank everything else and kept the device pretty damn slim to house a 3300 battery.
Shrinking the actual batteries will be the next thing, along with, yes, more efficient hardware/OS and less bloatware.
They have more than hinted that the bloatware aspect is being addressed for the upcoming products.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I wonder why Android hasn't embraced the variable CPU settings that all the ROM's do so well. That's the biggest key to battery life, IMO...aside from the obvious real battery killer the display.

Another big benefit is location based settings. Don't understand why Android hasn't made that stock - just buy-out Locale and Tasker so you're not stepping on developer toes.