Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
google-glasses-650x487.jpg

According to Eldar Murtazin, Samsung is working on Gear Glass, to go up against Google Glass, and it will be released on the market by April or May of 2014. Samsung wants to monopolize every single tech avenue. Although not confirmed, you can bet that Gear Glass would be much like Google Glass. It will be wearable hardware, fitted with a camera, capable of running apps and connecting to your smartphone wirelessly. Given that it’s Samsung, you can pretty much assume that the device will only be connectable to Galaxy-branded smartphones and tablets. At least, that’s what we would put our money on.

Source

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I doubt big time it will be only for Galaxy devices. Their new watch will work with other devices. Also, I'm not sure you can really call it a monopoly. Its competition. They will be offerering an alternative to Google Glass (though its not released yet either). The fact that Samsung has such a large market share is because people are choosing them over the rest. They aren't offering their devices for free to beat out the competition. Their devices are just as expensive as the rest. Google's Nexus devices are the inexpensive ones. They just do a far worse job at marketing them. We know about them because we are here, looking at Android news usually on a daily basis (ok, I check about every hour or so, but thats my problem =D). Though I have a Note 3 (upgraded from an S3), my wife has an S4 too, I probably wouldn't buy the Samsung head gear because even on their phones I prefer Google No over S-Voice. On phones, you can choose what you want to use. On the head units, I have a feeling it'll be more locked into their own software and not what you want to choose. Because of that, if it happens, I'd choose a Google Glass device. Though to be honest, I won't be buying any of them. I don't see a need in my life for one of those.

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
Though to be honest, I won't be buying any of them. I don't see a need in my life for one of those.

I said the exact same thing about the iPad when it first came out. Now I have a Nexus 7 and carry it everywhere I go.

Technology is hit and miss. A lot of it is all about gimmicks, such as 3D TVs that jumped in popularity with the release of Avatar, but are slowly winding down. But sometimes a new idea sticks and it revolutionizes the way we do things. I'm not saying computer eyewear is the next big thing, but it definitely could be. And only time will tell.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I said the exact same thing about the iPad when it first came out. Now I have a Nexus 7 and carry it everywhere I go.

Technology is hit and miss. A lot of it is all about gimmicks, such as 3D TVs that jumped in popularity with the release of Avatar, but are slowly winding down. But sometimes a new idea sticks and it revolutionizes the way we do things. I'm not saying computer eyewear is the next big thing, but it definitely could be. And only time will tell.

I have a Nexus 7 too, both generations actually. But I use them for games, video streaming from YouTube or Netflix or Reddit. Google Glass or any of its competitors won't take that roll because of the limitations on the device itself. Again, this is for me personally, there are many people that may use it for texting, directions, needing info in a pinch. The stock market could really use this thing IMO. But so many people use their phone/tablet the same way I do, its going to be an expensive dust collector. If they prove me wrong, great on them. Its not like I am somehow making the decisions over there, but to me, Google Glass is like Google+. It has its great uses and is even better in some ways to Facebook, but Facebook is still winning that race by a huge margin.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just going to second the "only works with the smart watch" or something foolish. They are trying to become the next Apple and they need to do this to comply with the process.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Big big big difference between the iPad 1 and Nexus7.
I tried an iPad because I NEEDED something portable, powerful and able to have a long time between charges while having a 2 year old in tow. The ipad 1 was NOT anywhere near powerful enough. Yes it had a nice sized screen, long battery life and 3g capability but I ended up using my Incredible more often than the iPad because though there was an app for everything there was also a hundred work arounds needed to do anything productive if not remotely connected to my desktop via Splashtop , it was SLOW and crashed at least 3 times a day every day, and it was ios 3.suck. My solution was a Galaxy Tab 10.1, which was my Incredible x2 plus, blowing away the iPad 1 in every category I could put it through.
By the time the Nexus7 came out the processor was light years ahead, Android had surpassed ios 5, 7" was the sweet spot for portability and bigger screen than a phone because although the screen was much bigger it was still pocketable for me. In just a few short years what seemed like the world's greatest device, the iPad 1 was a dinosaur .
If the Galaxy or Google glass gets anywhere near the stuff Will Smith used in I Robot I'll be all over them .

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Noteate

S

SFGate

While I understand the concept of competition and sharing of the pie, my first reaction is to start with a headache. Some of us get sick of all the choices, good, bad, or indifferent.