Laptop doesn't recognise Droid

HiDesertRat

Reaction score
Ok first let me say I bought this Droid from a private owner and didn't get anything with it, just the phone.
Took my SDcard out of my LG phone and installed it into the Droid, thinking I would be able to save what few pictures I have to the internal memory of the phone and than re-install the 16G card that was in the Droid.
I can see the pictures on the phone and all seems to be working okay. However, I don't see anyway of moving pictures to the internal memory. So figured I would plug in a USB cable to move pictures off of card to PC and then back again with 16G card installed in Droid.
Purchased a "Fuse" USB to micro USB cable and came home feeling pretty good. Plugged the Droid into my laptop, running XP sp3, and got the message "Unknown Device".
I am just trying to see the SDcard, don't want to use WiFi (don't have it), just move stuff to and from the dang card!

Any suggestions?????

Troops2990

Reaction score
you may have to try to find the drivers off the motorola website and try that..

OP
HiDesertRat

HiDesertRat

Reaction score
Working on that. Going to get a "real" USB cable today, don't trust the fuse type I have. Just want to make sure it isn't something that simple. I will let you know when I have a chance to play on it again. Thanks

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Droids

Reaction score
The Droid 1 link in my sig has the Moto drivers you need to install. Any micro usb cable should work.

OP
HiDesertRat

HiDesertRat

Reaction score
Ok, it was the cable!! The first one I bought was a "fuse" micro cable. I didn't like the looks of it, but it was the only one on the shelf. It was in the camera section of the store and has a pulley in the center that the "wires" coiled up on. You grab each end of it to expand it out to approximately 2.5 feet. It was the wires that bothered me, looked more like headphone or speaker wires.
Anyhow, went to another store yesterday and got a normal looking micro cable, came home and plugged it in. No problems: computer recognised the droid, turn on usb storage on the droid and was up and running.
I was able to move pictures around and put on other files. Life is good again!!

Thanks all.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, HiDesertRat. I've never installed any driver to get my phone and computer to recognize each other.

Mike