Can I manually MOUNT my DROId to USB?

DJTURNz

Reaction score
I keep my USB cable at work, hooked to the USB on the side of my monitor. I have a makeshift "dock" that I set it in to charge and to pull pictures. (I use my droid to take pics of things I need for work, then I hook it up so I can email or print the pics).

Sometimes when I plug it in, it's like it doesn't see it. Usually I get the option to MOUNT or DON'T MOUNT, but if I don;t, I have to move the cable to the other USB port on my monitor, then it works.

Is there a manual mounting option somewhere in the menu?

Q

qoncept

I've never had that problem. Sounds like the problem is with the USB controller in your PC. Are you making sure to eject the SD card on your PC before unmounting it?

x25064

Reaction score
+1 on the usb problem.

USB ports when damaged are a pain to get working properly if they ever do.

Simple solution: Use the other port.

OP
D

DJTURNz

Reaction score
It does it on either port. And it's not every time.

What do you mean eject the sd card? Do you mean click the safely remove hardware icon in the tray by the clock? I don't do that. I do try to remember to "Turn off USB storage" on the phone when I am mounted before dissconnecting.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
It does it on either port. And it's not every time.

What do you mean eject the sd card? Do you mean click the safely remove hardware icon in the tray by the clock? I don't do that. I do try to remember to "Turn off USB storage" on the phone when I am mounted before dissconnecting.

Yes, that is what he means. It is a good practice to do that. I had someone mess up my thumb drive by not doing that and I had to reformat it. I have also seen a few posts with people losing the data on their Droid's SD card by not doing it.

andrewdoane

Reaction score
Sometimes on my computer I have to disconnect every other USB device before I can get it to recognize the Droid. Fortunately I have a laptop so it's not a problem to remove the mouse, etc.

Q

qoncept

Yeah, you want to make sure you safely eject. Windows can act pretty goofy if you don't, and you do run the risk of corrupting some or all files on your SD card. (You should with thumb drives and external hard drives for the same reason)

If that doesn't fix it, something is probably causing problems on the computer. What kind of computer is it? Have you tried on another one?

Silver Member
Reaction score
i've never safely ejected any sd/usb device lol. even hard drives.

OP, are you referring to the fact that if you're asked to mount the device and say no the first time, and then want to at a later time?

if so, you should be able to mount and unmount your SD card through the settings menu on the home screen.

Q

qoncept

I never used to eject drives until the second time I had a problem. If you value the data on your drive you'll do it.