Keyboard advice?

OyVOid

Reaction score
I know you said you didn't like it but damn I'm in love with Swype, it finally gives purpose to the vertical keyboard. In fact, I haven't used the physical keyboard since installing it. It's SO fast and easy.

I have had it for about a week now and often times when I'm typing something I will randomly just say "damn I love this keyboard". It really has proven its worth(free) to me.

I agree! Swype is definitely the way to go. Now that I've been using it for the past 2 months, I can't go back to typing every letter out. Swype is so much faster. The day Swype stops working on my Droid is the day I will cry endlessly, "Why, why, why?" Of course, people around me will have concluded that I have lost my mind, but I don't give a sh**!

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
ok, dumb question, but Im gonna ask. Can a bluetooth keyboard work with the droid?
If i was using the phone a lot, I would think about it.....

There was a thread about this issue a couple of months ago. As I recall there are no bluetooth options for a keyboard. I'm no expert on bluetooth but I believe the problem is that the android implementation of bluetooth does not support the appropriate protocol. I do know that the Microsoft travel keyboard I use with my HP Netbook does not work with the Droid.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
In my honest opinion, unless your fingers are just abnormally huge, you're going to have problems with almost any keyboard or keyboard application until you've used it for a while. My suggestion would be if you're not a heavy texter/chatter, to get a Notes application or just open the Messaging app and type something that's several sentences, type a short story if you wish. Do this with the vertical software keyboard, the horizontal, and the hardware on several occasions and you'll find that it's a snap.

Prior to my Droid I had a freakin Moto RAZR and any time I used someone's iPhone I always remarked how much I HATED touchscreen keyboards; they just seemed absolutely worthless. After buying my Droid in December and using it for a few months (I text, email, chat on the phone quite a bit) I picked up an iPhone and typed with flying colors. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
In my honest opinion, unless your fingers are just abnormally huge, you're going to have problems with almost any keyboard or keyboard application until you've used it for a while. ...

+100 on this one. If the human brain can adapt to using the QWERTY keyboard, originally designed to prevent mechanical typewriter keys from jamming with no thought of ergonomics, it can adapt to almost anything. That isn't to say that there are not better and worse input methods but in these discussions I have a strong feeling that some people want the tool to adapt to them rather than the other way around. (And yes, like most folks, I plead guilty to that tendency.)

NullifiedKnight

Reaction score
In my honest opinion, unless your fingers are just abnormally huge, you're going to have problems /snip

I'm gonna have to agree with this, it just takes getting used to. Do something enough, and it becomes habit. Case in point: Dvorak. Everyone starts off using QWERTY or whatnot, but Dvorak users swear by it because they've become accustomed to using it. Learning is a process; no Matrix-y downloading it directly into our brains for us.