K-9 Email Problem

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
My wife got a new Droid yesterday. (She finally decided to join rather than fight the obsession.) So my job was to configure her phone with several dozen apps. Downloaded the K-9 email app that I use on my phone.

Unfortunately, on her phone I find that the left-most column on the UI that displays selection check marks is barely visible (seems to be only partly displayed) and cannot be tapped to select but not open an email message.

I'm hesitant to uninstall and reinstall the app on my phone to see if the problem exists on the latest version in the market lest I make my own version useless. I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling on her phone but I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered the problem.

And yes, I've tried to contact the "developer." One of the problems with open source software is that what appears to be a "product" is sometimes an ongoing cooperative hobby among a bunch of well-meaning folks with pseudonyms, none of whom are "responsible" for the software.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can check both phones to see if you have different versions. Tap menu, applications,
manage applications, K9. I have version 2403.

I'm not clear where UI setting are you mentioned. My check box's are on the right.

Mike

OP
jsh1120

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can check both phones to see if you have different versions. Tap menu, applications,

I'm not clear where UI setting are you mentioned. My check box's are on the right.

Mike

Mike,

Very interesting. I'm also running 2403 as is my wife. And on my Droid there are green boxes on the left of the screen next to each email message with check marks in them. The boxes are dark green if I haven't read them and light green once I've opened them. I can touch each green box to activate the check mark (without opening the message) and then delete or "mark as read" multiple messages by selecting the appropriate action from the menu. I can accomplish the same by selecting "batch ops" from the menu but I don't have to do so.

On the right side of my screen there are stars next to each message that I can touch and use for sorting, but nothing else.

So your screen isn't as I've described? (Sorry I can't produce a picture.)

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score

Mike

Mike,

Very interesting. I'm also running 2403 as is my wife. And on my Droid there are green boxes on the left of the screen next to each email message with check marks in them. The boxes are dark green if I haven't read them and light green once I've opened them. I can touch each green box to activate the check mark (without opening the message) and then delete or "mark as read" multiple messages by selecting the appropriate action from the menu. I can accomplish the same by selecting "batch ops" from the menu but I don't have to do so.

On the right side of my screen there are stars next to each message that I can touch and use for sorting, but nothing else.

So your screen isn't as I've described? (Sorry I can't produce a picture.)

I misunderstood about the green check boxes. I thought you were in the settings. When I open the app, I have the green boxes on the left side but when I tap one it opens the email. Perhaps my fingers are too big:). I can do a long press which allows me to open, select, delete, forward, reply all, reply etc. I've not used the stars for anything.

Mike

nerdbox08

Reaction score
I know the solution!

Menu -> Settings -> More -> Accounts -> Menu -> Settings -> Put a checkmark next to Multi-select Checkboxes.

This will give you the checkmark on the left hand side. If you decide to leave it off, if you do a swipe on the small colored part(left to right will expand, right to left will close), a checkbox will show up for just that message(or any other you do it with) and you can do batch options.

:)

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know the solution!

Menu -> Settings -> More -> Accounts -> Menu -> Settings -> Put a checkmark next to Multi-select Checkboxes.

This will give you the checkmark on the left hand side. If you decide to leave it off, if you do a swipe on the small colored part(left to right will expand, right to left will close), a checkbox will show up for just that message(or any other you do it with) and you can do batch options.

Thanks. I completely missed the settings via the Account. I like the Touch-friendly view.

Mike

OP
jsh1120

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I know the solution!

Give the man(?) a bouquet! Thanks so much! The box was checked on my droid and not on my wife's.