Just Bought a Steinheil Protector

Lightninrod

Reaction score
Just make sure to remove the films in the right order when applying (you'd be surprised how many people mess this up).

I think I messed up and removed the films in the wrong order. The two tabs were confusing too. Are they suppose to come off or are they on the two removable pieces? Would you please go into detail on these steps so I don't mess up the second protector.

There is a protector of something(?) on my X's screen but I don't actually know what it is. I even suspected it was a factory-installed protector but have been told the X doesn't come with one.

OP
LunaImages

LunaImages

Reaction score
Just make sure to remove the films in the right order when applying (you'd be surprised how many people mess this up).

I think I messed up and removed the films in the wrong order. The two tabs were confusing too. Are they suppose to come off or are they on the two removable pieces? Would you please go into detail on these steps so I don't mess up the second protector.

There is a protector of something(?) on my X's screen but I don't actually know what it is. I even suspected it was a factory-installed protector but have been told the X doesn't come with one.

The tabs are there to help you remove the two backings. When you are ready to apply the screen protector to the screen, pull the larger of the two tabs (which is attached to the film) and the backing will start to peel away. Peel a little at a time as you lay it down, so you don't have fingerprints or extra dust get between the protector and the screen. Make sure the front film remains attached (it's the one on the side with the smaller tab).

(One thing to note: once the screen protector is attached to the screen, do not attempt to remove it if you realize your screen wasn't clean enough. If dust gets sandwiched between the screen and protector and you don't like the appearance, you'll have to start over; dust will stick to the protector when you lift it up. Make sure your screen is spotless before you apply it, make sure the area you do it in is a low-dust environment [i.e. a bathroom with a warm shower running] and you shouldn't have this problem.)

Once you have the protector in place, use the squeegee on top of the green front film to gently press air bubbles to the edges of the screen. The green film is there to prevent you from dragging the squeegee against the screen protector thereby causing more ripples and bubbles.

When you feel you've removed all the air bubbles, gently pull back the green film with the remaining tab (ensuring you aren't pulling the screen protector up with it) and you're done!

As for your other question, pics would help, as the Droid X doesn't come with a screen protector.

czm2000

Reaction score
Zagg is a scam. Honest to God I think it's a scam. I've never used such a worthless product in my entire life.

I coulnt agree more. I've never been so disappointed in a screen protector.

Sent from my DROIDX

goracer

Reaction score
Just installed mine and had a slight heart attack as it took five attempts to turn on. I could just hear Verizon saying it's warranty is void from water damage.

I purchased the full kit with tax and shipping it was over $30 which is not cheap for a small amount of plastic fim. I ordered the full SGP TG high grade incredible kit. Let me just say "WTF" ...this kit sucks!

It feels like total crap.
even with the (distiled water?) spray and squeege it still has bubbles.
one corner and one side is not covered.
buttons could still get scratched.
it looks like crap, kinda like I sprayed on clear coat or never removed oem plastic.
screen protector makes it a lot less sensitive and doesn't scroll well.
it has more fingerprints after a few seconds then the cheap one I took off.

Moreover, gloss was a bad choice. it looks like cheap clear nail polish.

I want A double refund! GrrRr!

Last edited:

reddog187

Reaction score
Just installed mine and had a slight heart attack as it took five attempts to turn on. I could just hear Verizon saying it's warranty is void from water damage.

I purchased the full kit with tax and shipping it was over $30 which is not cheap for a small amount of plastic fim. I ordered the full SGP TG high grade incredible kit. Let me just say "WTF" ...this kit sucks!

It feels like total crap.
even with the (distiled water?) spray and squeege it still has bubbles.
one corner and one side is not covered.
buttons could still get scratched.
it looks like crap, kinda like I sprayed on clear coat or never removed oem plastic.
screen protector makes it a lot less sensitive and doesn't scroll well.
it has more fingerprints after a few seconds then the cheap one I took off.

Moreover, gloss was a bad choice. it looks like cheap clear nail polish.

I want A double refund! GrrRr!

I ordered the same kit. I only put on the screen protector. I swear by the screen protector. Clear as the screen itself and easy to apply. I hate wet application of screen protectors! ;) Will never order any of the other wet application protectors. You didn't apply the spray on the screen protector did you???

As for the skin, I never bothered to put it on. I was going to, but then decided against it. I use to have an invisible skin on my older phones. (Blackberry's) and most would eventually peel over time. More a pain in the ass than anything. So I opted out this time. :)

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but I would have to disagree with you on the screen protector. It is the best I've use bar-none.

goracer

Reaction score
No, I didn't use the spray on the screen. The instructors only mentioned to use it on the body.

Yes it is the best (unfortunately) available but not the greatest. One corner seems like it was lifted but it never was. It did go on smoothly and without bubbles with the little squeege. The hight is perfect but the width is short about 1mm. If I had known or noticed I could have centered it but the gap is all on the right side. The anti glare tint works excellent for indoor flourecent lighting but it terrible for outdoors. A clear tint would be better. It says the version I bought is thicker but thinner would be better as it dulls the sensititivty of the touch screen. Besides it's not the face that is going to bounce on if it falls. It may slide if on the floor and gets kicked or something like that but the buttons would take most of the damage and I wouldn't mind buying another protector if it got scratched as that is it's purpose.

I would recommend a clear thinner choice over the one I have. Maybe the anti finger print version, since mine loves finger prints.

OP
LunaImages

LunaImages

Reaction score
No, I didn't use the spray on the screen. The instructors only mentioned to use it on the body.

Yes it is the best (unfortunately) available but not the greatest. One corner seems like it was lifted but it never was. It did go on smoothly and without bubbles with the little squeege. The hight is perfect but the width is short about 1mm. If I had known or noticed I could have centered it but the gap is all on the right side. The anti glare tint works excellent for indoor flourecent lighting but it terrible for outdoors. A clear tint would be better. It says the version I bought is thicker but thinner would be better as it dulls the sensititivty of the touch screen. Besides it's not the face that is going to bounce on if it falls. It may slide if on the floor and gets kicked or something like that but the buttons would take most of the damage and I wouldn't mind buying another protector if it got scratched as that is it's purpose.

I would recommend a clear thinner choice over the one I have. Maybe the anti finger print version, since mine loves finger prints.

Solution: Buy the product that I reviewed in this thread. The Ultra-Crystal protector feels like glass and is cut perfectly. Literally a hair on all four sides. 1mm sounds like a lot, and I'd love to see pics.

True, if you drop the phone, the screen will more than likely not be what makes impact. But you have a much higher likelihood of dragging a piece of dirt across the screen than dropping it, imo, which is why this protector is important. Gorilla glass isn't scratch-proof, especially against sand.

Solution to a spray-on film for the phone? Buy a silicone case. Thin, soft, and sticks to the phone like glue. And will probably provide more impact-protection than film.

Sorry to hear you had problems with what you purchased. Next time, buy an Ultra-Crystal, and be happy. The pics speak for themselves.

Max_HTC

Reaction score
Got Steinheil Crystal and Fprint. Installed the Crystal first without any problem. It is amazingly clear and solid. Seems to help view in bright light too.

goracer

Reaction score

Solution: Buy the product that I reviewed in this thread. The Ultra-Crystal protector feels like glass and is cut perfectly. Literally a hair on all four sides. 1mm sounds like a lot, and I'd love to see pics.

True, if you drop the phone, the screen will more than likely not be what makes impact. But you have a much higher likelihood of dragging a piece of dirt across the screen than dropping it, imo, which is why this protector is important. Gorilla glass isn't scratch-proof, especially against sand.

Solution to a spray-on film for the phone? Buy a silicone case. Thin, soft, and sticks to the phone like glue. And will probably provide more impact-protection than film.

Sorry to hear you had problems with what you purchased. Next time, buy an Ultra-Crystal, and be happy. The pics speak for themselves.

I would have chose the crystal clear but I wanted the complete kit. The only other choice was matte but it didn't say if the lense cover was matte and I was afraid of it looking blurry like the fingerprint one. I thought gloss would mach the gloss on the screen but I was wrong. I should have chose matte to match the flat grey of the body. Anyhow it's the sides that feel horrible. I have contacted them about their 30 refund gaurantee and awaiting their response. If they offered a mixed package I would have chose crystal lense and matte body. Oh and I only got one lense cover.

I just ordered the free kit from the other thread. What a price difference. Basically I got two kits for the price of tax and shipping of the Steinheil.

Anyhow now i'm looking at the faux carbon fiber stick on body kit which on saw (an idiot review) on you tube. The white one looks tight, but black may match better (choices, uhg).

I do have a silicone case. It is soft but it's thick, not thin. The snap on version looks better as it would be loose and not floppy but may not be any thinner. What's up with body glove? their bikini's used to be skin tight wet suit material, why are their cases a plastic thing? I would want something like a ballon type of material that stretches on and clings skin tight.

Last edited:

Cacique500

Reaction score
Thanks to this thread I ordered in a set of the Crystal's...and all I can say is WOW! I had one of the Verizon protectors on which did ok, until I saw the crystal...truly amazing. Messed up the first one (my fault) but the second one went on perfectly. It's like there's nothing on the screen at all.

OP
LunaImages

LunaImages

Reaction score
Thanks to this thread I ordered in a set of the Crystal's...and all I can say is WOW! I had one of the Verizon protectors on which did ok, until I saw the crystal...truly amazing. Messed up the first one (my fault) but the second one went on perfectly. It's like there's nothing on the screen at all.

Glad I was able to help =]