Just Bought a Steinheil Protector

LunaImages

Reaction score
I got fed up with the "rainbow effect" of the VZW screen protector and the fact that it didn't cover the entire screen. Since my fiancé will be receiving her Droid X in the mail on Wednesday, I figured, "why not do what some of the other forum guys are doing and get a really nice protector and surprise her in the process?

So I went online after reading a bunch of opinions, and purchased a pair of Steinheil Ultra Crystal protectors...I'm so excited to try them out! I had a Zagg on my Storm before I knew any better and thought that was as good as it got (I hated the orange peel and stickiness of it.)

***EDIT***

They finally came in, and WOW. If there were ever an accessory everyone ought to purchase for their device, it's this single product. Coming off of a Zagg protector on my old Storm, and a couple of crappy Verizon ones I bought initially for my Droid X (in all their rainbow-looking, poor-fitting, matte-finish glory), I wasn't expecting a whole lot. I've always figured one would have to always make a compromise with visibility or tactile feel/function using one; not so, here!

The following photos were shot with my Droid X, of my fiance's Droid X. Yes, we're both that cool and own the same phone =]

Here's the pack of protectors with my fiance's phone, ready for the install in my bathroom:

448041072_photobucket_3689_.jpg

The package came with two screen protectors in their own individual sleeves, a microfiber cloth, a squeegee, and something unfamiliar to me-- "dust removal stickers." The sight of these included in the package gave me the immediate impression that these protectors meant business.

448041072_photobucket_3690_.jpg

After reading what some others did to keep the dust down, I decided to follow along and turn on the shower and close the door to the bathroom to allow humidity to increase, thereby keeping dust to a minimum. I began cleaning the screen.

I applied rubbing alcohol to the microfiber and began to wipe all the visible dirt and oil off the screen. Within one minute, it became apparent I had turned the shower on too hot; condensation began to accumulate on the screen! So I turned the shower off and kept wiping, over and over (the ocd in me.) I got the dirt off to what I considered acceptable, then used the dust removal stickers and individually plucked off a few persistent specks of dust. The screen was ready for application.

I began peeling away the backing of the first protector, and the difference between this screen protector and others was immediately apparent. We're talking night and day here, folks. Absolutely nothing flimsy about this one! It's literally a hard sheet of plastic with some applicator on the backside. No liquid involved! The beauty of having such a firm product as opposed to the limp stuff allows for extreme ease of alignment. Just line the top of the protector with the top of the screen and begin setting it from top to bottom, slowly pulling away at the backing as you go. In seconds, it was down, and perfectly in line with the screen.

A slight rub with the squeegee, then removal of the green front film (don't worry, the actual protector is clear, not green) and VOILA!! I was shocked at what I saw:

448041072_photobucket_3691_.jpg

448041072_photobucket_3692_.jpg

Just look at it. Perfect fitment, perfect clarity, and perfect tactile feel.

With one rub of my finger across it, I was sold. There is ZERO orange-peel. There is ZERO flex. There are absolutely ZERO compromises with this screen protector. Just the stunning Droid X screen in all it's glory. The photos don't even begin to do it justice! Once I reattached her case, my fiance said, "Wow, it's really on there? That's crazy...I don't see it or feel it." It looks EXACTLY like glass to my 20/10 vision. It feels EXACTLY like the glass underneath it. Smooth, shiny, and seamless. It just doesn't get any better than this!

The consistency of the cut was dead-on with both protectors, too-- just a hair shy of the edges on all sides to allow a slight margin of imperfect alignment. We're talking one hair width. It's perfect.

To top it all off-- its resistance to oil is far superior than a naked screen. So seriously, I'm putting it out there: I think the screen is actually BETTER now than it was naked!

Case in point, if you've made it this far in my review: GO TO sgpstore.com or ebay (where I bought mine) and BUY IT NOW!

I should note: putting the second one on my phone was just as easy. Just make sure you do the shower trick, and you won't end up wasting one.

Any questions, feel free to ask and I'll answer to the best of my ability.

P.S. What I've found entertaining is letting others use the phone, and then asking them if they can believe that they aren't actually touching the glass, but a screen protector. I have yet to come across a single person that isn't shocked! Hope this info helped all you guys who are on the fence about the Steinheil! :icon_ banana:

Last edited:

Barryvabeach

Reaction score
Others have suggested to go to the bathroom, close the door and run the shower to keep down the chance that dust falls on the screen during installation. I just installed mine earlier this evening - the directions are pretty clear - just line it up since unlike the VZ one, it covers the whole front glass, not just the screen.

richjacksonkc

Reaction score
Looking forward to your review.. I've got a Zagg Invisible Shield purchased, (used these on several phones before) but I am waiting to install, I want to hear more about he Steinheil's...

bump47

Reaction score
Yea, definitely go into the bathroom and run the shower. No chance of dust. I have the steinheil crystal clear on my droid and I love it. Looks and feels like glass.

dulaney22

Reaction score
Yea, definitely go into the bathroom and run the shower. No chance of dust. I have the steinheil crystal clear on my droid and I love it. Looks and feels like glass.

Just get away from your sink, vanity, etc. Instead of dust you'll get hair and other junk. LOL!!

Barryvabeach

Reaction score
Delaney22, you haven't seen my bathroom - you can stand in the middle and touch all 4 walls, so I couldn't get away from the sink. I ran the shower, and did it on the sink - I got 1 speck the first time, then used the dust remover strip and get it done clean. I found the screen was a little weird at first - but that could be from over squeeging it. It works fine now, and it is really crystal clear.

OP
LunaImages

LunaImages

Reaction score
It just got here! About to attempt in 5 minutes on my fiance's phone, then mine. Doing it with the shower running...wish me luck! >:]

banderbe

Reaction score
Zagg is a scam. Honest to God I think it's a scam. I've never used such a worthless product in my entire life.

OP
LunaImages

LunaImages

Reaction score
Looking forward to your review.. I've got a Zagg Invisible Shield purchased, (used these on several phones before) but I am waiting to install, I want to hear more about he Steinheil's...

KEEP THAT ZAGG AWAY FROM YOUR SCREEN!!!

Now that's been said, I got the Steinheils installed on both of our DXs, and I am totally blown away!! I took photos, and will do a writeup tomorrow evening. Rich, as a former user of Zagg, take it back and buy Steinheil.

Stay tuned for pics and details tomorrow. This thing is insane.

Garandhero

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just throught I would comment, I just got my Stienheil too - I got the cystal and the fingerprint ones. Tried them both, and decided on the fingerprint protector one. Its a little more matted, but my hands sweat a lot so I really needed the fingerprint protection. In any event its still very clear, looks great and fits perfectly. Installation was a breeze. Since they send you 2 covers in each packet, I still have 1 Crystal and 1 Fingerprint protector to spare, I figure I will use the one I have on for a 6 months or so, then switch to crystal, then back to fingerprint before ordering new sets!

Hooray!

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I swear by Steinheil. They are, by far, the best protectors I've used. I had Zagg on another phone. Once. Will NEVER do that again. How you're supposed to scroll when using a screen protector that sticks to your fingers like rubber is completely beyond me. The Steinheil has fit the bill completely. I use the Crystal and is the closest to like the real glass. The fit and finish of it is also spot on. Just make sure to remove the films in the right order when applying (you'd be surprised how many people mess this up).

Garandhero

Reaction score
I swear by Steinheil. They are, by far, the best protectors I've used. I had Zagg on another phone. Once. Will NEVER do that again. How you're supposed to scroll when using a screen protector that sticks to your fingers like rubber is completely beyond me. The Steinheil has fit the bill completely. I use the Crystal and is the closest to like the real glass. The fit and finish of it is also spot on. Just make sure to remove the films in the right order when applying (you'd be surprised how many people mess this up).

Yes I did this at first with my first fingerprint thing, luckily i realized it quickly enough and was able to salvage it without it getting ruined. Make sure the piece you are applying is the right one and not the backing its sort of hard to tell lol!

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Just installed Steinheil and so far very pleased with it, feels just like the glass and fingerprints don't stick as bad.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Ok after further play with the phone after the screen protector still like it but the fingerprints are actually a little worse than regular screen. Yet they wipe off easy.