Just Bought A Harmony 1100 Universal Remote

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've had an 860 for years now and recently when I push buttons to ff or back up I have to do it 3 or 4 times go get it to wortk. So I went internet shooping and found a new one for 295.00.

Here's a video, what do you think?

[video=youtube;SYqYNccLtt4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYqYNccLtt4]YouTube - Logitech Harmony 1100 Advanced Universal Remote[/video]

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sexy. The Harmony One was the best media center decision I've ever made, and the week I went without when my dog ate my first one was a dark dark time. Freaking remote cost more than both the dogs did.... enjoy your toy.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I've had the harmony 1000 for some time now and love it.... been thinking about upgrading but the 1100 doesnt offer much more then the 1000 so until it dies ill keep it.

its pretty much identical other then being silver.

logitech_harmony_1000.jpg

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's on the truck out for delivery. My old harmony is going on me, I'm having trouble using the fast forward buttons. Timing is perfect.

And I just read on the web that all I have to do is plug it in and press a "switch remote" button and it will fix me right up.

Now where is that UPS guy, it's been on the truck since 5:30 am?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yep, that's the best part about the Harmony series. Switching remotes is even easier than programming it the first time.

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Remotes Here! But don't get too excited....

Remote showed up here right around 12:30 pm eastern. I opened the box took everything out, put the charger where I was going to keep it.

So I push the switch remote button and nothing happens. I call customer service. Sorry, sir, the 1100 cannot be switched out you'll have to do it all over again. Fine but the software isn't recognizing there is a new remote hooked up. He says you need to set up a new account for the new remote.

OK, so I do that only it still doesn't recognize the remote. I call over there and punch in my incident number only to have a pre recorded announcement for me that I was not entitled to free support. Now I'm starting to get a little anxious.

I call back, get a human and explain whats going on. Instead of stepping me through the necessary things to do he sends me 4 documents on possible reasons on why it won't connect with my computer.

I can handle that. I go through all the motions, pull the battery (yep, it's done in these remotes too) and nothing works. I say screw this I'll use a Windows computer figuring that my Mac is just too advanced for this thing to deal with. So I go to my wife's XP, kill the firewall, plug that puppy in and guess what? Same message as I got on my Mac.

So another call over to Logitech. This time they are going to have a human step me through because obviously I'm just that dumb and can't figure it out. Nice man gets on the phone with me and we go into my network settings and add it to my network. Fire that puppy up again and the software again gives the same message. "Please attach USB."

Guy says, well we tried everything. You'll need to contact the place you bought it at and ask them for replacement. No, "We'll get you a replacement out right away."

So I call the company I bought it from but their customer service is only open on Fridays from 10:00 am until 12:00 noon! And according to their return policy I have 3 days to get an RMA or I am screwed. I wanted to say something else but I am a moderator and I can't do what I tell others they can't do. Oh and I pay for the shipping of the return of course.

So all and all, I have no new remote, the one button exchange apparently doesn't work with the 1100 and I won't see my remote again until sometime next week. If I'm lucky. And what if this one doesn't work?

I'll just go back to regular multiple remotes then. This is a lot of hassle.

Harmony Remotes had great customer service 4 years ago. No hassle, and they knew what they were doing. I've heard that their customer service went down hill. It did, big time.

I should have spent another 5 bucks and got it from Amazon. That will teach me not to buy from someone I'm not familiar with.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
dang hooky!! i'm glad you posted this though. i have the 960 and the 720 (i think lol) i had problems about 2 years ago with one of mine and they sent me another...no questions asked. that's too bad:( ss

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
my 1000 was the first harmony remote i ever bought so i didn't have to mess with transferring the settings from one to the other but the setup was pretty easy i had no issues with it connecting.

and from the sounds of it i'm glad i have never had to deal with their customer service. Sorry for your luck hopefully the replacement gets there soon and works.

i need to knock on some wood as mine has been flawless for about 2 years now.

jozhua

Reaction score
Wow. I would bug Logitech some more. They replaced my out of warranty 890 a year ago, but this was only after posting on their support forums... I would also personally go for the Harmony One with RF capability. The 1000 series is way too bulky IMO but I haven't played with them too much.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hope it works out for you, Hook. It looks pretty sweet. If I used it in every room it would eliminate 8 remotes.

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Update: Replacement came today. I tried plugging it into my Mac but it wouldn't work. I think the reason for this is because I have Snow Leopard and my default browser is set to work on 64 bit.

Anyway we do have PC's in the house so I tried hooking it up to my wife's PC and it worked. I had some problems at the end with it recognizing the fact that after it rebooted the remote it was awake again.

Funny thing about it is I absolutely had to get past this point so I called customer service and I'm describing my situation to the CSR and while I'm describing it I'm going through the motions and I'll be darned but don't you know it worked WHILE I was talking to him.

Then I had to add an activity and it got stuck at the same point. I dialed the toll free number, showed it the phone and once again it worked. So I'm quite pleased, it's charging right now and will be ready for me by this evening for our nightly television viewing pleasure.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
So my dog just ate his second Harmony One. Anyone want a dog or two?