Jelly Bean!!!

WestOkid

Reaction score
Motorola said the Razr and Maxx will get jb!!

They said all 2011 phones would get JB or a $100 voucher if it wasn't possible. They said this over the summer. Have you heard something new? Please post the article.

OP
A

adamsoccer3

Reaction score
WestOkid said:
They said all 2011 phones would get JB or a $100 voucher if it wasn't possible. They said this over the summer. Have you heard something new? Please post the article.

I did a live chat with Motorola and they said could be in a week to 2 months

bolden88

Reaction score
A week to two months?? It took 6 EXTRA months to get ICE. All these sweet names has someone on a sugar high of hope. I too hope it comes within a couple months but here goes anxious chatter.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I did a live chat with Motorola and they said could be in a week to 2 months

I'm thinking that they meant the razr HD. Its supposed to get jb by the end of the year... if it comes out by then..

dishnu

Reaction score
While it would be nice to get JB by then i think just getting it by next Oct would be great

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

JohnFH

Reaction score
So then we could post about JB for a year, during which time one or two more Android versions could be released, LOL

WestOkid

Reaction score
If the OG Razr/Razr Maxx were to get JB by the end of the year this would be a direct result of the new "near stock" blur. The reason why phones take so long to get upgraded is because they have to figure out how to make the OS work with their skin without breaking it. The other hold-up is the carrier. That's why the Motorola xoom wi-fi which is not a Nexus, got JB before the Galaxy Nexus.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If the OG Razr/Razr Maxx were to get JB by the end of the year this would be a direct result of the new "near stock" blur. The reason why phones take so long to get upgraded is because they have to figure out how to make the OS work with their skin without breaking it. The other hold-up is the carrier. That's why the Motorola xoom wi-fi which is not a Nexus, got JB before the Galaxy Nexus.

that's not the only challenge though, having to re-write drivers and library files are also needed for the hardware to function with the OS.

We may see a faster turn around time with JB from ICS because they are fairly similar, unlike from Gingerbread to ICS which took FOREVER, due to the fact that the systems were so different, Motorola (and other companies) had to completely re-write EVERYTHING for the phones that had already been released and aren't as important to the time table.

Honestly, Google is to blame, they only code in the drivers for the Nexus devices (who can blame them) and let the manufacturers do the rest.

WestOkid

Reaction score
that's not the only challenge though, having to re-write drivers and library files are also needed for the hardware to function with the OS.

We may see a faster turn around time with JB from ICS because they are fairly similar, unlike from Gingerbread to ICS which took FOREVER, due to the fact that the systems were so different, Motorola (and other companies) had to completely re-write EVERYTHING for the phones that had already been released and aren't as important to the time table.

Honestly, Google is to blame, they only code in the drivers for the Nexus devices (who can blame them) and let the manufacturers do the rest.

I am a pc developer not mobile, so I may be off base, but I find it hard to believe the drivers would need to be rewritten for an incremental OS upgrade using the same kernel. Also that does not explain why the Xoom is not a Nexus and it is always the first to see updates. Even before some Nexus devices.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
WestOkid said:
I am a pc developer not mobile, so I may be off base, but I find it hard to believe the drivers would need to be rewritten for an incremental OS upgrade using the same kernel. Also that does not explain why the Xoom is not a Nexus and it is always the first to see updates. Even before some Nexus devices.

Jelly Bean is almost entirely under the hood upgrades to ICS. Pushing JB without new drivers is equivalent to trying to run a fuel injected engine with a carburetor without any modifications.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

if the same kernel is being used, I don't know too much about ICS --> JB, then yeah I'm sure some of the same drivers and libs would be recycled and maybe just refined, it not even touched at all I am not sure. So that would deff help in the turn around for updates. I just know that one of the major factors from going to GB to ICS was because of the kernel and drivers etc, add that on top of the companies needing to find time to update those phones, no wonder it took so long. we do seem to be seeing faster turn around times with ICS --> JB.

As far as the Xoom, technically you could call it Nexus, cause it was Google's first flagship tablet, so it would make sense to upgrade that first since its all AOSP and was one of the only AOSP tablets out there till the N7.

Hopefully the manufacturers have a system down now that allows for quicker turn over in updates. Maybe enough ppl itched and complained about how long it took to get from GB --> ICS and the manufacturers are taking notice lol

there are of course many other factors, not just these, but these seem to be the more obvious to me (us) at least.

YellowJacket

Reaction score
IMHO, JB is going to be a big letdown. On my Xoom, the jump from HC to ICS was noticible and somewhat of an improvement as it was for my Razr. However, on teh Xoom, the jump from ICS to JB was not much of an improvement at all and it seems like my xoom runs slower. Given that, I feel the same will be for the razr.

David

Redsnk95

Reaction score
IMHO, JB is going to be a big letdown. On my Xoom, the jump from HC to ICS was noticible and somewhat of an improvement as it was for my Razr. However, on teh Xoom, the jump from ICS to JB was not much of an improvement at all and it seems like my xoom runs slower. Given that, I feel the same will be for the razr.

David

I am eagerly awaiting JB for my Razr Maxx. The move to JB on my Xoom tab was great. My experience is much different that YellowJacket. JB made my tab faster and really love Google Now.