jelly bean when?

wvdroidman

Reaction score
When will the razr get jelly bean? Will it get the circles widget with jelly bean and will it be upgraded beyond jelly bean?

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
When will the razr get jelly bean? Will it get the circles widget with jelly bean and will it be upgraded beyond jelly bean?

Bob only knows
Maybe (doesn't work on my Maxx)
Most likely not.

The above are only guesses and could be wrong.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
I hope you're wrong about the future upgrades. That would stink as that is the ONLY reason I bought this phone is for FUTURE upgrades. If what you are saying is correct then this is another thunderbolt fiasco. I will pay up for a newer phone and sell the razr if this is correct.

kdw11005

Reaction score
I was wondering when the razr maxx was getting the upgrade as well. My husband had to get a new phone last weekend because his Droid 3 wouldn't charge anymore. He told the rep he wanted a RAZR maxx and the rep said they don't make them anymore. Hubby got a razr hd which are awesome & have jelly bean already. I asked when the update would be available for my phone and he said he thinks its going to be a long wait. I have an upgrade available the end of march and i well sell my phone and get a new one that already has jelly bean.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

Reaction score
I was wondering when the razr maxx was getting the upgrade as well. My husband had to get a new phone last weekend because his Droid 3 wouldn't charge anymore. He told the rep he wanted a RAZR maxx and the rep said they don't make them anymore. Hubby got a razr hd which are awesome & have jelly bean already. I asked when the update would be available for my phone and he said he thinks its going to be a long wait. I have an upgrade available the end of march and i well sell my phone and get a new one that already has jelly bean.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

I doubt that it will be a long wait.

YellowJacket

Reaction score
There are LOTS of posts here asking the same question. The basic answer based on what motorola posted is "Q1 2013". IN translation, that means sometime between the beginning of January and the end of March. Some of us got a "sneak peek" and an update (Jelly Bean) that was apparently released unintentionally. It can be loaded and the details of how to do it are in the Razr Support forum here in a stickie thread by FoxKat.

If you are running the stock ICS and not rooted, you can manually apply the update, however, it is supposedly not final, there is no (not yet) going back, and nobody is sure when the final update is released if those who did the early update will get it.

Now, as far as phones being updated beyond 1 year... YMMV. However, I expect that that won't happen anymore, such as with the thunderbolt. The Maxx and the TB are both good phones, but to sell more phones, Verizon has to make them obsolete. So, no more updates once newer and "better" phones come out. So, if you get frustrated by the Razr/Maxx not getting updated beyond JB and go buy another phone, you are going to be in the same boat in another year and Verizon has you hooked as well as you being out a couple hundred more dollars.

David

cybertj.2000

Reaction score
There are LOTS of posts here asking the same question. The basic answer based on what motorola posted is "Q1 2013". IN translation, that means sometime between the beginning of January and the end of March. Some of us got a "sneak peek" and an update (Jelly Bean) that was apparently released unintentionally. It can be loaded and the details of how to do it are in the Razr Support forum here in a stickie thread by FoxKat.

If you are running the stock ICS and not rooted, you can manually apply the update, however, it is supposedly not final, there is no (not yet) going back, and nobody is sure when the final update is released if those who did the early update will get it.

Now, as far as phones being updated beyond 1 year... YMMV. However, I expect that that won't happen anymore, such as with the thunderbolt. The Maxx and the TB are both good phones, but to sell more phones, Verizon has to make them obsolete. So, no more updates once newer and "better" phones come out. So, if you get frustrated by the Razr/Maxx not getting updated beyond JB and go buy another phone, you are going to be in the same boat in another year and Verizon has you hooked as well as you being out a couple hundred more dollars.

David

Great statement!!! All cell companies do the same thing, and the manufactures have to set limits as to how far they are going to upgrade each phone. They also won't upgrade a phone if it barely meets minimum specs, that's just asking for trouble.

Motorola says it will support phones with upgrades for 18 months, which is about 2 upgrades (ICS & JB), so they are living up to their word!!

I'm extremely happy with them going to JB, then I will be ready for my next phone, whatever that may be!!

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
when is the next nexus device coming? I should have kept my nexus but the signal on it stunk. Unfortunately I bought this phone in november for $1 at best buy now I know why it was only $1. Motorola was trying to get rid of them.

YellowJacket

Reaction score
when is the next nexus device coming? I should have kept my nexus but the signal on it stunk. Unfortunately I bought this phone in november for $1 at best buy now I know why it was only $1. Motorola was trying to get rid of them.

Thats fairly typical at the end of a year and after a phone has been out for a while.

I'm still very happy with my Maxx having owned it for nearly one year now. Having "upgraded" to JB made it even better for me and I think I can live with it for a while longer - providing nothing breaks.

I think once the official JB is released to the rest of the Razr/Maxx users, they will be happy as well. I was excited when ICS came out but was somewhat disappointed shortly thereafter. Since being on JB, I have been quite happy with it...especially the responsiveness and huge improvement in battery life... >52 hours several times for me.

Just keep this in mind... There will ALWAYS be something better shortly after you purchase a phone. Is yours capable of performing the tasks you do on it regularly? If yes, then why upgrade?

David

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
I want a phone that will be upgraded for 2 years. I was under the impression the razr would get jelly bean and the next update but now that it won't and might not even get jelly bean I'm thinking I made a mistake.
Plus the battery life stinks when listening to i heart radio or using apps or the internet and the signal isn't stable.

YellowJacket

Reaction score
I want a phone that will be upgraded for 2 years. I was under the impression the razr would get jelly bean and the next update but now that it won't and might not even get jelly bean I'm thinking I made a mistake.
Plus the battery life stinks when listening to i heart radio or using apps or the internet and the signal isn't stable.

As much as I hate to say this.... If you want a phone that gets upgraded for 2 years and beyond then you ought to lok at an iPhone. uggghhh! I said it! Shoot me now.

I too have the same problem with iheart radio and tune in radio however, I think it is more a problem with the app/service itself. I use pandora more than any of my streaming services and feel that the quality is leaps and bounds above the rest... even with the free version of pandora.

I have noticed with iHeart and tunein the quality is usually around 44kbps (ACC) even with a solid connection. To me, it sounds like an am radio. I've looked in the settings for both and there does not seem to be a way to improve it. If I log in and stream either from my laptop, I seem to get the same results.

David

bmwnick

Reaction score
I got my Jelly Bean update Christmas eve morning im at 4.1.2 build number 98.72.8 seems only some got the update?

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
the update was an accident. Someone pushed the wrong button and sent it out. Now it won't be out til march probably.

YellowJacket

Reaction score
I got my Jelly Bean update Christmas eve morning im at 4.1.2 build number 98.72.8 seems only some got the update?

Yes, some did until someone at either Verizon or Motorola realized that someone jumped the gun and turned the update on. It was being pushed out for a few hours before the mistake was realized and the download server stopped sending it out.

Speculation is that those who got the update early will still get a final update when it is oficially pushed out... but again, that is speculation. Motorola has not confirmed or denied.

David