JB 4.1 update

Redsnk95

Reaction score
But not without finding the second mic icon (upper part of the screen) and then talking - it's now a two step process for what used to be one step, and it's more difficult for me while driving. (My eyes just don't re-adjust that quickly from road to phone screen... what can I say, I'm old!) This truly is a step backwards for this phone. Same thing with opening Navigation and doing it from there. Smaller icons/middle of the screen versus one place - bottom right of the phone without even looking.

Hmm. I just tapped the mic on the lower part of the phone. It opened up Google Now. I spoke "Google" and then it was ready to receive my commands. I said "Navigate to work", and it took about 1-2 seconds and it opened Google Navigation with voice directions to my work. Works just fine for me.

_skibum

Reaction score
You are correct. They removed "navigate" from voice commands. However, if you say "navigation" it will open the app to a point where you can touch the mic icon (and a fairly large one at that) to say your destination. Still 2 taps on the home icon, and one on the mic.

While I am typing this, I am fooling around with voice commands on my phone. This version appears to accept any app name. I double tapped home and said "barcode scanner", and it opened right up. I then said "voodoo rootkeper", and the phone repeated "voodoo OTA rootkeeper" and opened it right up.

LOL I have the app for this forum on my phone. I double tapped home and said "droid forums", and phone said "did you mean call Bob mobile?". I tried it again, and it did the same for Chris. I tried it again, and it said "next time, say go to droid forums". I give up... :D

sbhsquared

Reaction score
Hmm. I just tapped the mic on the lower part of the phone. It opened up Google Now. I spoke "Google" and then it was ready to receive my commands. I said "Navigate to work", and it took about 1-2 seconds and it opened Google Navigation with voice directions to my work. Works just fine for me.

Thanks, Redsnk95 - the first several times I tried it, it took me to a Google search page with its idea of what I was saying, and then finally this last time it DID open navigation. It'll just take some getting used to, I guess.

Redsnk95

Reaction score
Yea every once in awhile it doesn't get it right. And I don't expect it to be 100% perfect every time. I understand it to be a work in progress and will only improve as Google improves it. My only complaint is sometimes when I am connected to BT in my truck and activate Google Now voice commands, it gets stuck on Initiating Voice. Only happens when connected to BT in my truck.

tindogify

Reaction score
Yea every once in awhile it doesn't get it right. And I don't expect it to be 100% perfect every time. I understand it to be a work in progress and will only improve as Google improves it. My only complaint is sometimes when I am connected to BT in my truck and activate Google Now voice commands, it gets stuck on Initiating Voice. Only happens when connected to BT in my truck.

It happened to me too. All I did was change Bluetooth and now it works perfect