Jack of all trades, master of none: e-mail attachments

Utzz

Reaction score
Just a rant.

The gist: I'm at work without my data cable. I have a song on my desktop PC. I'd like to put it on my Droid.

So, I figured I'd e-mail it to myself using GMail and then just download it to my Droid...using the GMail app. Seems simple but apparently not so. With a fresh factory reset phone, I fire up the GMail application. Come to find out, it doesn't allow you to download. So I search these forums. If I fire up the browser and go to my mail through GMail that way, the option now exists to download my file. Sweet. So I proceed...only to get an error message "Content not supported on this phone". Interesting. I know for a fact that this song plays fine on my Droid. I try zipping up the song and trying again - to no avail. Searching a little more on this forum, I come across "Download Crutch". Install it, give another try downloading the song and WOOSH - it works. Sigh...it shouldn't be this hard.

As a hardware engineer irl, this phone is pretty spiffy - hardware wise. But Christ on a crutch, the software is just f'in sloppy. I can get used to a bug or four. I don't mind rebooting my phone nor even factory resetting it. But at its core functionality, the Motorola software guys need to get things straight. It seems like the aftermarket app developers are the ones providing 'polish' to this phone as is demonstrated above. I couldn't get the job done with the built-in app. Then I couldn't get the job done using another built-in app. Then all of a sudden, a 3rd party application allows one of the built-in apps to function 'correctly' and let me download. It really shouldn't be this hard.

When people ask what I think of this phone, I used to say "The Droid is awesome". Now I say "Awesome hardware, but check back with me after Dec 11".

End rant.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
This has been beat to death....

Nice rant tho...

otaku

Reaction score
Had the same thing happen to me. I think I got Gmail to download it. I went to my Gmail account in the Browser, and then switched to "Classic" display. Odd thing was, it downloaded the file as a .mpa I think...still played okay, but RingDroid wouldn't edit it...

crankygypsy

Reaction score
i'm not very tech-savvy and sorry if this a repeat. but if you have a website like i do (or access), there's a fairly simple way (ie no geeky programming knowledge needed) to transfer anything without browsers getting in the way. it may take some patience, but it works:

PhoneMyPc (easy to set up): you need the app on your phone and on the PC you want to control. then you can remote control your desktop and find the file you want. remotely bring up the windows FTP window (Start/My Network Places/<your site>). via remote, copy and paste your file into a folder (mine is called DUMP) in your FTP window. your PC will upload the file onto your server.

AndFTP: on your phone, start this app. scroll through to the DUMP folder - now you have a direct/fast download. a 5MB song will download within 7 seconds. disconnect FTP when finished.

crankygypsy

Reaction score
even easier for you ...I just read that the Steel Browser lets you download mp3.