Is this [HOW TO] remove RAZR Bootstrap custom recovery?

JaBr1884

Reaction score
***DO NOT ATTEMPT, unless you clearly understand what to do. Several users have had major issues, it is unknown if they followed the procedure correctly. There may be no benefit to following this procedure anyway, and this does not appear to be required to install the OTA update.

After searching all the forums I'm familiar with, I couldn't find how to remove the RAZR Bootstrap custom recovery, by DooMLoRD. Obviously the RazrBootstrap apk needed to be uninstalled, but what about the flashed recovery portion?

I found a thread on DroidXForums.com by Abe21599, which suggested the following for a Droid X:

1. Reroot (If not currently rooted)
2. Get root explorer in the market
3. Uninstall the bootstrap app
4. Go into root explorer to system/bin
5. In top right corner tap r/w
6. Delete the file called hijack
7. Delete logwrapper
8. Rename logwrapper.bin to just logwrapper
9. Reboot and it should be gone.
(thanks to Droidforums member Hostility6)

Full thread:
[HOW TO] Install and Remove Bootstrap Recovery
I followed the above directions, and booted into the stock recovery with both volume buttons held on power-up.

All seems well, but could someone with a better understanding of how recoveries work chime in?

I'm returning to stock... NOT to return my beloved RAZR, but for a good reason ;)

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
If hijack was there (/system/bin) then yes its the same procedure. All bootstraps require the hijack to boot into a custom recovery. You should be fine.

quadjacks

Reaction score
Un-installed, deleted hijack seen logwrapper but says to delete then rename. now bootlooping!

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Um if you have adb setup and debugging on then maybe. Have you tried accessing stock recovery? I thought tthere was a fxz (or whatever its called) out for the razr?

OP
J

JaBr1884

Reaction score
Um if you have adb setup and debugging on then maybe. Have you tried accessing stock recovery? I thought tthere was a fxz (or whatever its called) out for the razr?

Not for RAZR, maybe thinking of Bionic?

Quadjacks, sorry to hear what happened, what exactly did you do? I had no issues doing the above, twice. I first deleted "hijack" from /system/bin, then deleted logwrapper (exact name), then renamed "logwrapper.bin" to "logwrapper".

The last thing I wanted was to post something that would brick peoples phones! If you followed the steps exactly, I might have to delete this thread.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
i think he might've just deleted the files and didn't rename anything. Doing this will bork your recovery. Happened a few times on the X.

baldybill

Reaction score
[h=2]remove RAZR Bootstrap custom recovery?[/h]
Ok, can someone quickly educate me here?

What is the bootstrap custom recovery?

Why do we want to remove it?

And is there recovery files if we mess up our the Razr?

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bootstrap is what is needed to add a custom recovery to bootloader locked devices. You might want to remove it if you're returning the device. Apparently there are no stock images yet.

thelastbill

Reaction score
I was trying to get the update and did this procedure. Now im stuck in a boot loop.....plz help

OP
J

JaBr1884

Reaction score
I was trying to get the update and did this procedure. Now im stuck in a boot loop.....plz help

What was the last thing you did before the bootloop? Did you finish the procedure?

You may want to try to reset the phone by holding the volume down key + power key for 10 seconds.

Mods, should this thread be removed? I hate the idea that people are messing up their phone with a post of mine, but I had no issue following the procedure..

thelastbill

Reaction score
I deleted and renamed the files as instructed.

I can get into recovery and it shows a clockworkmod backup inside there, I can select it but I dont know how to initiate it.