Is there any way to turn off 3G AND Wi-Fi?

Groucho

Reaction score
Wifi uses much more battery than 3G. To see what's causing battery drain for you, go to Settings --> About phone --> Battery Use

Silver Member
Reaction score
you could always just put it in airplane mode. ;)

Tegamal

Reaction score
Airplane mode disables incoming calls as well, though, & he said he still wanted to receive calls in case of an emergency.

KidCuda

Reaction score
You guys are confusing ME now. I looked in the Mobile networks section and didn't see anything for 3G or 2G. We're talking about the Droid, right?

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah.

Home - Settings - Wireless & networks - Mobile networks only shows:
Data roaming (checkbox)
System select (drop down: Home/Automatic)

wsbsteven

Reaction score
If you want to disable 3G, dial *#*#INFO#*#* goto Phone Information then select CDMA only from the drop down box. This won't disable the internet but it will only use the 2G radio which gives you the result you are looking for. Selecting EVDO will give you 3G only and you won't get phone calls, selecting CDMA Auto (PRL) will return you to normal.

OP
M

minmongoblin

Reaction score
I'm not seeing the choice under Mobile Networks to switch, but Wsb's solution works. But now I'm wondering if that even saves battery more than Wi-Fi, haha. And that other forum link seems to be fighting over the answer, too =P

wsbsteven

Reaction score
And that other forum link seems to be fighting over the answer, too =P

The testing showed that wifi had better battery life being actively used than 3G. An idle test wasn't possible to see which was better until recently when someone posted how to force wifi being on all the time. The testing I performed was a pain and took forever so I'll let someone else handle the idle tests. I use my phone too much now to have it sit around until it dies while not using it at all.

SirSyeco

Reaction score
on the power widget, just turn off the "update" button (second from right) and it won't access the 3G network.

At night when I lay down, I goto the (stock) power widget and make sure that everything is off. Then in the morning, I turn update back on, and bam it loads up with emails and other notifications. So I'm sure that its not checking through the night.

but I CAN still get calls.. which is what I want also. (I don't have a home phone anymore)

Hypnotic

Reaction score
on the power widget, just turn off the "update" button (second from right) and it won't access the 3G network.

At night when I lay down, I goto the (stock) power widget and make sure that everything is off. Then in the morning, I turn update back on, and bam it loads up with emails and other notifications. So I'm sure that its not checking through the night.

but I CAN still get calls.. which is what I want also. (I don't have a home phone anymore)
Not totally true. When I turn auto update off my droid still (sometimes) accesses the 3G network.

Danthok

Reaction score
You could turn on airplane mode that shuts down all wireless communication.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Did you bother to read this thread? It's been pointed out several times that the OP wants to be able to receive calls.

JimeB

Reaction score
Let me start out by saying this is my first post here. I just upgraded from a trusty but obsolete Palm Treo and am still feeling my way around. This forum makes it a lot easier. I have an Eris but my wife has a Droid so I search all the forums.

I have a similar question about the data but for different reasons. I am planning on a vacation to warm Mexico but don't want to get "socked" for data usage while across the border. The hotel we are staying at has wireless so I can connect that way. Is there a way to turn off the 3G and use only my wireless while we are out of the country? Thanks in advance for your help.

JimeB