Is there any way to turn off 3G AND Wi-Fi?

minmongoblin

Reaction score
I've heard that, as far as conserving battery, connected to Wi-Fi is better than 3G, but if you leave Wi-Fi on and all it does is search for an open network, that drains even more battery than 3G. Is that all right?

Second, is there a way to turn off all Internet activity, such as while sleeping? I would use Airplane Mode, but I still want to be able to get calls and texts in the case of emergencies.

Thanks.

Tillers_Rule

Reaction score
Put the Power Control Widget on your home screen (one of them anyway). This lets you control bluetooth, gps, WiFi, Sync and display. To do this, hold finger down on screen, select widgets, power control. You'll need 4 open app spaces side-by-side for this.

I don't know if you turn off 3G, other than just be using WiFi.

Not sure about your second question.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can't turn off 3G.... it's either available or not (availability in area/connection)... it's your connection to the network, which you need if you wish to receive calls.

Gunghoray

Reaction score
I think you want more than is possible. Receiving emergency notifications, emails, and phone calls while blocking all your other connectivity features isn't possible.

Let's explore a Plan B.

OP
M

minmongoblin

Reaction score
So am I right in thinking that leaving Wi-Fi on (while connected to my home network, NOT searching for a network constantly) is better for battery life than 3G?

Last edited:

Gunghoray

Reaction score
I wish I knew the answer to your question. I'm guessing that 3G is a NORMAL state of mind and doesn't suck the life force out of your Droid. That's how it is with mine, anyway.

droidilac

Reaction score
Does 3G run in the background? Could it possibly be like the apps where it runs "as needed" For example when I browse the web or market I see the little arrows on the 3g icon become active....

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Does 3G run in the background? Could it possibly be like the apps where it runs "as needed" For example when I browse the web or market I see the little arrows on the 3g icon become active....
To my understanding this IS how it works.
The only reason you would see a significant reduction in battery life leaving your 'network' connected is if you aren't getting a good signal.

tafsen

Reaction score
If you go to settings > Wireless & network settings >mobile network settings: There is a check for "Use only 2G networks"

tafsen

Reaction score
What are you not seeing? "Use only 2G networks" or "mobile network settings"?

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
You can't turn off 3G.... it's either available or not (availability in area/connection)... it's your connection to the network, which you need if you wish to receive calls.

This is wrong.

Goto Settings > Wireless > Mobile Networks

There you can exclude 3g and use only 2g ^^

There is also a widget for the homescreen that leads you there with one button just search 3G on the market

Tigger

Tegamal

Reaction score
Would there be an issue to plug it in every night? That's what I've done with every phone I've ever owned & plan to do with the Media dock (it will be my new alarm clock).

This seems like a decent solution, unless I'm missing something.