How to extend your battery a ton if you use Wi-Fi

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just found this out - and I'm amazed at the stupidity of Google for having this setting so hidden no one would find it.

I use Wi-Fi 90% of the time - at home and at work. Generally using Wi-Fi takes a ton less battery than using 3g since you don't have to have the radio connection for data usage.

But did you know that the base setting for Droids have Wi-Fi turn off once your screen goes off?

You heard me right - when the screen goes off so does your wi-fi connection. It turns back on when you turn the screen on. This means when the screen is off you are using far more energy using 3g.

I changed the setting today and my phone is still 80% after 7 hours. Unheard of.

Want to know how?

Settings
Wireless & Networks
Wi-Fi Settings
THEN press the four line button on the bottom of your phone. (the one next to your home button)
Click Advanced.
Click Wi-Fi Sleep Policy
Change it to NEVER.

Yeah, who would think.

Dwyndal

Reaction score
Nice i forgot about that feature setting, i alwaysed use APNoid or some other app i forget what to keep mine one, i'm generally always on wifi no so this will come in handy. Cheers:icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

kptphalkon

Reaction score
wow I never even gave it thought lol! thank you for this great tip

Snow02

Reaction score
Actually, 3G uses less power when idle. An exception might be if you're in a poor signal area or have background apps that constantly use data when idle. But this is documented and proven, and the reason for the default setting.

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
People who use Wi-Fi most of the time have crappy 3g signals.

I can barely make a call from my home. So this little hidden setting has completely changed my phone.

Still at 80% after 8 hours. Double what I normally get.

Actually, 3G uses less power when idle. An exception might be if you're in a poor signal area or have background apps that constantly use data when idle. But this is documented and proven, and the reason for the default setting.

Dwyndal

Reaction score

That's what I kept hearing but and i don't really use background syncs other than emails 15 and 30 minutes depending on which account but what about Gtalk - how does that run with wifi and or 3g?

Dwyndal

Reaction score
HAH i can barely make a call at my house and i have no interwebs for wifi - my house is ruuuuuuuuural while my work is ubran le sigh.

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have about 8 email accounts pulling anywhere from a minute to 30 minutes. I also have calender sync running and Beautiful Widgets... it pulls a decent amount of data.

To think for the last two years the battery has been dying because it turns off wi-fi when the screen goes off really pisses me off. They should have that option clear rather than buried.

Snow02

Reaction score
I have about 8 email accounts pulling anywhere from a minute to 30 minutes. I also have calender sync running and Beautiful Widgets... it pulls a decent amount of data.

To think for the last two years the battery has been dying because it turns off wi-fi when the screen goes off really pisses me off. They should have that option clear rather than buried.

Yeah. With your setup and poor signal I can absolutely see it making a marked difference. Heavy 3G use in a weak signal area is definitely a battery killer. Sorry it took so long to find that setting.

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
At least I found it... I'm now more inclined to stay with Android. My wife's new IPhone kicks it's ass in battery and isn't as horrible as I thought it would be...

I would still prefer the Bionic...

Yeah. With your setup and poor signal I can absolutely see it making a marked difference. Heavy 3G use in a weak signal area is definitely a battery killer. Sorry it took so long to find that setting.

kookk

Reaction score
That explains why a lot of my Widgets weren't updating. I have not reception at all at my house and rely on wifi

Sent from my DROID X2

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
That does explain it for me too - same thing was happening. Google needs to make this an option people can see.

That explains why a lot of my Widgets weren't updating. I have not reception at all at my house and rely on wifi

Sent from my DROID X2

Detonation

Reaction score
If you have root, you can also edit your build.props file and change wifi.supplicant_scan_interval to something higher. Its the time (in seconds, the default is 45 I think) between scans for Wifi access points you have remembered but aren't in range. Useful for when you are on the go and moving between networks.

gsDroid

Reaction score
I just turn off data when I am at home with my strong wifi connection. I let the wifi turn off because I don't auto sync, but since data is turned off, I get the benefit of them both being off during screen off. My battery life is superb.