Is November Bionic software update Legit?

cjtennis

Reaction score
Just wondering if the talk of a November software update for the Bionic is fairly accurate? I'm having problems picking up only 4G; my phone's not getting 3G anywhere and I'm sick of having it on the charger more often because of the 4G use.

Thanks in advance!

CJ

Human_Droid

Reaction score
Lots of bugs with this is version :T

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Even if it's legit, if it's OTA it may take time for you to get it. Of course if it's leaked and put here, that won't be as much of a problem.

haimez

Reaction score
Workaround for the issue of not getting 3G (when it's available):
- enable airplane mode
- disable airplane mode

If you don't want to use 4G you can disable it and save some battery under network settings.

mikeruoc

Reaction score
I am looking forward to the update. I notice when I am in a location or a day that my phone does not cycle between 4G and 3G the battery is not bad. But when it is jumping alot it does hurt the battery. I hope they fix some of these radio issues. Just wish they would not wait this long. They knew about these issues since launch. Fix it already.

zachdroid

Reaction score
The coming update has a radio fix in it. Just gotta let it come. And you know they do the whole wave push so as not to overload their servers I imagine do it could be the day of the release or it could be a month after, tough to say man.

Zregnier

Reaction score
If I'm rooted and running a ROM how will I go about getting the update? If I download it and install it in recovery will i need to wipe data first?

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I was at the VZ store the other day asking about this issue, and even though the rep was extremely rude, they did say I'd just have to wait for the update coming in October or November. I could tell she definitely doesn't ready the droid or moto forums so clearly something has been announced to store employees.

As for the rolling out in waves, yes this will be the case. However, every time I've heard an update was released, instead of waiting for my turn, I just went into settings and did a manual search for any updates. Finds it right away every time.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
It will come when it comes - nothing you can do about it. If your rooted then you won't get it. Which is why I'm not.

zachdroid

Reaction score
If I'm rooted and running a ROM how will I go about getting the update? If I download it and install it in recovery will i need to wipe data first?

You have to fxz back to bone stock to get the update and not run the risk of bricking your device. Chances are you'll just lose root but with a 600 dollar replacement cost do you really want to chance it?

yiannis

Reaction score
Sorry for the diversion but I have actually frozen the updater 2.3.4 in hopes of not getting the update, losing the root and finding the bloatware.

The only complain I have on the Bionic's performance is that it takes a while to change from the portrait to the landscape orientation. But that might be the specific theme I have loaded. And I doubt their update will fix that.

dpw2atox

Reaction score
Sorry for the diversion but I have actually frozen the updater 2.3.4 in hopes of not getting the update, losing the root and finding the bloatware.

The only complain I have on the Bionic's performance is that it takes a while to change from the portrait to the landscape orientation. But that might be the specific theme I have loaded. And I doubt their update will fix that.

The update is said to offer some performance improvements to the blur launcher, offer all around bug fixes to various apps and offers an updated kernel, radio and bootloader. If you look at the current leaked ota, 5.5.892 you'll see it is 54.5 MB and pretty much every app on the device has patches waiting for it. If you dont want to wait on the OTA for some of these bug fixes, since you're rooted you could install a 3rd party rom as a lot of them have already merged in the updates (obviously excluding the kernel, radio and bootloader changes) so it wont fix the 3/4g data issues or the random black screen but it will fix some force closes and improve performance.