Is it possible to get an ICS ROM?

litetaker

Reaction score
I just saw the post for the Droid Bionic and Droid 3. They both got an Alpha version of an ICS ROM. As far as I know, neither got the ICS OTA yet. And, as far as I can tell, both still have a locked bootloader. Still, they seem to be running an ICS port. So, I was wondering, if Moto and the Big Red don't plan to show this phone some love and release an ICS OTA, can we still get it somehow in the form of a port by some dev?

I don't understand how this works. Without a bootloader, we don't have the ability to load a custom kernel, right? But then, how can we load Android 4.0.1? Do we load it over the old kernel or something?

-- Cheers.

myriad46

Reaction score
I just saw the post for the Droid Bionic and Droid 3. They both got an Alpha version of an ICS ROM. As far as I know, neither got the ICS OTA yet. And, as far as I can tell, both still have a locked bootloader. Still, they seem to be running an ICS port. So, I was wondering, if Moto and the Big Red don't plan to show this phone some love and release an ICS OTA, can we still get it somehow in the form of a port by some dev?

I don't understand how this works. Without a bootloader, we don't have the ability to load a custom kernel, right? But then, how can we load Android 4.0.1? Do we load it over the old kernel or something?

-- Cheers.

The only ROM that I have heard of that is actual ICS source built is Cyanogen Mod 9, which is still in the beta phase. Though they support an immense amount of phones, they do only cover phones with unlokced bootloaders, as some of their standard CM features require it. All ROMs for the DX2 currently are based on OTA ROMS not from a source code, not yet applied to our phone. It's going to take some time, it is at all possible.

myriad46

Reaction score

myriad46

Reaction score
We haven't seen Cyanogen for the DX2 yet, so I wouldn't count on a full port. Can it happen eventually? Probably. It will more come down to hardware restrictions. I wouln't be suprised if you saw ICS elements (not just colors) popping up in more and more ROMS for the DX2. They are going to come to the more poulous phones first, though....which is not the DX2.

shaggykid

Reaction score
I believe liquid has the ics rom too

Sent from your mom's house using my Droid X

s3pt1k

Reaction score
Can you explain how that answers the question? I still don't understand how ICS is running on either Bionic or Droid 3... And btw, if this can be done on these two phones, can it be done on the X2?

No. D3 and Droid Bionic have a different boot system which is currently being hijacked through a program called safestrap. AFAIK, the possibility for the DX2 does not exist because of this difference in booting. So long as you're using a device with a locked bootloader, you'll be under more rom restriction.

Edit: Oh, and the Bionic/D3 are booting using the 2.x (gingerbread) kernel since, like on most Moto phones except the OG Droid, the bootloader is locked (as previously mentioned).

Last edited: