Is it normal to lose 3g when you get a wifi signal?

Suljin

Reaction score
Ive had my droid since nov, but just now sat down and got it set up with our wireless in our house, since while im at home it fluxuates between 1x and 3g all the time, even though im in the middle of a city and should have no problems with reception. But in doing so, as soon as it connects to the wireless network the 3g/1x completely goes away. I dont know if this is related or not, but also it wont send picture messages at all, it just sits there after I send it doing the "sent" signal for hours. So far Ive found that if I turn wifi off, sometimes it will finish sending it and then I turn it back on.

Any suggestions or input is appreciated, thanks guys!

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not normal. Have you recently installed any apps?

Clarification: Losing the 3g/1x symbol is normal, but losing the functionality of your phone is not.

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yes the 3g/1x will go away when connected to a wireless network. It is only for the data connection and shouldn't affect your phone connection.

tehpriest

Reaction score
Seems normal behaviour to me as this is what mine does. Why use your mobile dataplan when you have wifi which is faster as well. Pictures will send when you turn of or go out of range of the wifi. Mine even uses other peoples open wifi connection while I am out and about and the only time this is a problem is when using sat nav.

OP
S

Suljin

Reaction score
Ok so thats good to hear, except like what about now, im at home and I wanna send a pic to a friend, I dont want to have to disable wifi everytime I do so, thats annoying.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok so thats good to hear, except like what about now, im at home and I wanna send a pic to a friend, I dont want to have to disable wifi everytime I do so, thats annoying.

Try using HandcentSMS rather than the stock app. I've never had this problem using it in place of the stock app (I've also never sent an MMS with the stock app). I cant confirm this, but I thing that Handcent handles the disabling and enabling of your WiFi for you to send the message.

darreno1

Reaction score
Ive had my droid since nov, but just now sat down and got it set up with our wireless in our house, since while im at home it fluxuates between 1x and 3g all the time, even though im in the middle of a city and should have no problems with reception. But in doing so, as soon as it connects to the wireless network the 3g/1x completely goes away. I dont know if this is related or not, but also it wont send picture messages at all, it just sits there after I send it doing the "sent" signal for hours. So far Ive found that if I turn wifi off, sometimes it will finish sending it and then I turn it back on.

Any suggestions or input is appreciated, thanks guys!

If you're using a pop account (besides Gmail) try changing your smtp settings or check if there are alternative settings that let you authenticate to the smtp server (ie put your username and password in the server settings area) or maybe SSL settings that you can use. Looks like your smtp connection is being blocked on your wifi network's ISP resulting in your pics not going anywhere.

You can use Google's smtp to send out:

How to use Gmail as your SMTP server - Email apps - Lifehacker

This usually works with any ISP.

tehpriest

Reaction score
I think the OP is talking about MMS. Put the power bar widget on one of your desktops. one touch off then send and one touch back on. Simples...

OP
S

Suljin

Reaction score

Try using HandcentSMS rather than the stock app. I've never had this problem using it in place of the stock app (I've also never sent an MMS with the stock app). I cant confirm this, but I thing that Handcent handles the disabling and enabling of your WiFi for you to send the message.

Handcent is what im using, love it! But sadly it doesn't fix this problem :(

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Handcent is what im using, love it! But sadly it doesn't fix this problem :(

That's so weird. I just (2 minutes ago) send a pic of one of my dogs to my fiancee with Handcent, and I didnt have to touch my WiFi settings.