Droid dropping my saved WiFi connection

M

Matth3w

This has been happening recently, though nothing about the phone or wireless has changed. But the wireless router works perfectly well, as three of my four home computers run off the wireless router (including my Verizon Network Extender). The stuff is saved and the WiFi is turned on. As I type this I am sitting like 2 feet from the router.

Why is it dropping my signal and switching to 3g?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This has been happening recently, though nothing about the phone or wireless has changed. But the wireless router works perfectly well, as three of my four home computers run off the wireless router (including my Verizon Network Extender). The stuff is saved and the WiFi is turned on. As I type this I am sitting like 2 feet from the router.

Why is it dropping my signal and switching to 3g?

I have the same exact problem. I was told to try it in airplane mode but that didn't help either. I have a good signal, I run a laptop and two TiVo's off my home wireless network but Droid can't seem to hold a signal.

OP
M

Matth3w

Could it be the channel used on the router? Anyone know what is better for Droid, high or low channels?

OP
M

Matth3w

According to a thread I found somewhere else, it said try changing the security to AES. I'm going to try it and see what happens. I also switched from channel 2 to 5.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Curious, what brand of router are you guys using? This isn't the first thread I've seen about this, there seams to be some issues with the wi-fi. Just wondering, I know a thread I saw here and a few on another Android forum had problems with Netgear. I've run on several Linksys and Belkins with no problems.

jasonb

Reaction score
i am having the same problem. i just replaced a linksys router with a netgear router and now it drops it from time to time. it never dropped the linksys, so that makes me assume it's a router issue or an issue with a setting on the router.

unix.punkx

Silver Member
Reaction score
i am having the same problem. i just replaced a linksys router with a netgear router and now it drops it from time to time. it never dropped the linksys, so that makes me assume it's a router issue or an issue with a setting on the router.

I've never ever ever ever trusted Netgear, being an Apple person, and completely unbiased I love their wireless router. Linksys is great too, not so much for Macs however

OP
M

Matth3w

Curious, what brand of router are you guys using? This isn't the first thread I've seen about this, there seams to be some issues with the wi-fi. Just wondering, I know a thread I saw here and a few on another Android forum had problems with Netgear. I've run on several Linksys and Belkins with no problems.
I have a Linksys WRT54G. And we definitely aren't the only ones...here is a 56 page thread on the subject:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/...8CB0D427355A842A393F.node0?start=825&tstart=0

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have a Linksys WRT54G. And we definitely aren't the only ones...here is a 56 page thread on the subject:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/...8CB0D427355A842A393F.node0?start=825&tstart=0

Yeah, I've seen several threads on it on the other sites. Got to be the phone(s) then (or more likely an app conflict or something). That's the same router I have here at home and I've not had a problem yet (knock on wood). I use the wi-fi daily syncing and browsing and never had it drop.

OP
M

Matth3w

Well I wish I could specifically block Wireless Networks from even being seen on my phone...perhaps my neighbor's router is tricking the phone or something.

For now I made a couple of adjustments from that other thread to see if I can resolve the problem (so far, so good...about 99% since posting this thread):

- Changed the security to WPA2 Personal (only)
- Changed the channel to 7
- Changed WPA algorithms to AES

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well I wish I could specifically block Wireless Networks from even being seen on my phone...perhaps my neighbor's router is tricking the phone or something.

For now I made a couple of adjustments from that other thread to see if I can resolve the problem (so far, so good...about 99% since posting this thread):

- Changed the security to WPA2 Personal (only)
- Changed the channel to 7
- Changed WPA algorithms to AES

That might explain it. I just checked my router out of curiosity and those are/were the settings that I had (well, I have TKIP-AES).

Just my $.02 but one thing I've always done that you might want to try is to enable your MAC filter (set it to "allow only listed devices"). I've been doing this for a while and, IMHO it seems to keep the connections a bit more stable (guess it's not worrying about any other devices that it sees). It's also just a good security measure in general.

jasonb

Reaction score

I've never ever ever ever trusted Netgear, being an Apple person, and completely unbiased I love their wireless router. Linksys is great too, not so much for Macs however

my last linksys only lasted me 6 months, so i lost all faith in linksys.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
my last linksys only lasted me 6 months, so i lost all faith in linksys.

That was my experience with Netgear, lol. I was a HUGE Netgear fan and then they wen to crap on me and some friends. To each their own. The newer Linksys routers (at least many of them) have Cisco boards in them and I've found them to be pretty good/reliable. But in all fairness it seams ALL the consumer brands have very spotty records, at least lately.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just went through several pages of this and there just doesn't seem to be a definitive answer. I tried adding my ip address and all that stuff myself and that kept it from connecting at all, Went back to my regular settings.