Is it just me? or does anyone else hate social networking?

khelek

Reaction score
One thing that I find hilarious is the fact that New outlets use twitter feeds as a viable source for a story. ESPN is notorious for doing this and I've even seen it on CNN.

Hahahaha, that makes me laugh.

"Today, according to random twitter person @iamanoob, something happened. Somewhere. Details as Twitgrid updates...."

Huh. If Twitter weren't voted Keith Olbermann's "Worst Person", I'd say it explains MSNBC....

Sodner

Reaction score
I agree. I do not understand peoples infatuation with FB and Twitter. I have never, and hopefully will never, use them. Same goes for Buzz.

OP
S
Reaction score
I agree. I do not understand peoples infatuation with FB and Twitter. I have never, and hopefully will never, use them. Same goes for Buzz.

+1..................................

also i wouldnt call droidforums a social network. sure its a network of people which is great but i feel there is such a purpose and usefulness this site has as opposed to FB etc.... but again not bashing anyone to each their own just not for me.

unless of course i can exploit the FB and twitters and sell the blank out of my old lost friends so i can prosper BIGTIME (tongue in cheek) :)

Last edited:

DroidFan

Reaction score
I use Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc., to promote me within the context of my business. I've actually gotten business through Twitter after a potential client saw my tweets. I've gotten business through many of these sites and while it's cumbersome to keep on top of it, these mediums are free advertising to get your name and reputation out there.

OP
S
Reaction score
I use Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc., to promote me within the context of my business. I've actually gotten business through Twitter after a potential client saw my tweets. I've gotten business through many of these sites and while it's cumbersome to keep on top of it, these mediums are free advertising to get your name and reputation out there.

that makes sense! for money its worth it.

M

Matth3w

I use Facebook, but not extensively. I was on Facebook 24/7 during the election of Scott Brown to help spread the word and oust Martha Coakley. So like someone else already mentioned, it's not just for social networking.

That being said, I really don't care when people post stupid stuff about how they are doing laundry etc. I also don't keep friends that I don't talk to on at least a semi-regular basis. And I have zero high school friends (except one friend who is a good friend of mine still) on there either.

OP
S
Reaction score
I use Facebook, but not extensively. I was on Facebook 24/7 during the election of Scott Brown to help spread the word and oust Martha Coakley. So like someone else already mentioned, it's not just for social networking.

That being said, I really don't care when people post stupid stuff about how they are doing laundry etc. I also don't keep friends that I don't talk to on at least a semi-regular basis. And I have zero high school friends (except one friend who is a good friend of mine still) on there either.

i like your avatar :)

armeddroid

Reaction score

+1
My sentiments exactly.

ShowTime

Reaction score
Just for the sake of stirring the pot... any way to add a poll or even just have everyone post how old they are + their sentiments? Just curious since I think Facebook and Myspace, more so than Twitter, were originally targeted at teens and young adults as 100% a means of social interaction. I mean, after all, for the first year or two of Facebook, you couldn't even sign up unless you had a college email address. I think the charitable and business utilization of it are newer occurrences. I still think it's main audience is let's say 10-25 year olds who may not have anything interesting enough to warrant a phone call or text message to their friends, but still want to share information and feel more connected and internet savvy. I got on Facebook when it came out and have used it almost entirely as social networking since. I network more important things (business, more personal stuff, etc) through phone and e-mail, but facebook is still fun to catch up with friends from highschool that live hundreds of miles away and so on. For the record, I'm 23 and know that, I dare say all of you probably have 0 interest in anything I put on or say on my facebook page and that's fine, but my friends and I all enjoy it and use it daily. Let's see if I can get some more support from the younger generation and our wasting of time writing about what tv show we're watching and what we had for dinner! :biggrin:

DroidFan

Reaction score
ShowTime,

As I work very closely with SEO/SEM, would it surprise you that the average age of people on Facebook is actually mid-30's to mid 40's? It's true! (I'm 41 BTW)... many of the 30-somethings and 40-somethings have used FB for professional uses (such as myself) but also use it to reconnect with old friends from high school and college as well as family members across the world. (Studies have been shown on this!)

FOr example, I've recently put up a fanpage for my business on Facebook...granted, it's only been up for 2+ weeks, but I have over 100 fans already and the average age (according to the stats on the fanpage) falls in the 35-44 age range. It's not just for the 10-25 year olds anymore! :)