Is it just me? or does anyone else hate social networking?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by sillyrabbitt123, Feb 11, 2010.

1. sillyrabbitt123

sillyrabbitt123 New Member

I will not join (facebook), or join/be forced (buzz). If I want info I know how to find it and if I want people to know about me I will email it. I dont need Droidforums to twitter anything I live on this site etc etc etc

I understand its easy and fun way but its not for me...
  2. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Social networking isn't just for "fun" anymore....do you have any idea what these programs do for things like charities and benefits???? And also the quicker spread of information?? Especially Twitter for the speed of information across the globe within a few hours...
  3. R1Lover

R1Lover New Member

The only thing it's good for is keeping in touch with old friends... I have found some good friends through FB, but some people take it way too far.... I make contact and then use e-mail to keep in touch.

The social networking bug is high school all over again and is retarded imo.
  4. sillyrabbitt123

Great let charities use them I am all for that. Information spread big deal. Most of it I dont need that fast.

Now on the other hand if it relates to the markets and now this becomes the only way to get fast info and if you dont use it then i can see your at a disadvantage. other then that on a personal level what I wrote above still stands, at least for me it does.

This makes sense to me. But I dont even want to reconnect I lost the connections for a reason. It seems like it could be fun for a few days but not worth it.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  5. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

I totally disagree with this. I used to think this way til the past couple years, and I dont even use it that much at all...all I have is a Myspace account that I barely get on....but its amazing to see all the positive things social networking has helped implement in todays technology.....:icon_eek:

If you're not for good positive changes to the world in which we live, then I think that says a lot about your personality....

Just saying :)
  6. sillyrabbitt123

Yes I am not a narcissist and not a voyer either. Thats what personality traits I really feel SN taps into. Imho!
  7. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Oh well I don't really give 2 sh*ts what you guys believe...nor do I expect you to with me either...
    Agree to disagree!!! :)
  8. sillyrabbitt123

Thats fair. We can disagree. No harm there. :)
  9. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

Agreed with both of these... with the exception of one or two people in extraordinary circumstances I've kept in touch with those I wanted to. The others I've not kept up with for a reason... As for the whole Buzz and Tweet BS... if someone wants to know what I'm doing they can call or email me. I'll do likewise should I want to know what they're doing... but to be honest I could REALLY not give a sh!t less what people are doing let alone what people do 24/7...

If you have nothing better to do with your life than follow others than IMHO you don't have much of one and should go get one rather than following the shallow life of others...

^+:icon_ devil:
  10. Musturd

Musturd New Member

I hate facebook. I've seen a too many go from doing well in school to doing terribly. They spend all night every night playing stupid facebook games or chat with friends ALL NIGHT.

So I hate facebook. Unfortunately, in order to keep in touch with some people I am forced to occasionally use it.

All this social networking stuff, with respect to an individual person's life, is stupid and a waste of time, IMHO.

However, I just realized that with my Droid :motdroidvert: and Twitter I can get instantly updated on news/blogs/mashup artists (ok just one) that I follow (slashdot/lifehacker/mashupgermany). Instead of spending about an hour each night catching up on the day's news, I can keep up with the news in my spare minutes throughout the day.

So I am a fan of social networking in the sense that it helps spread information quickly and makes lives (at least mine) more efficient.
    But does anyone really give a sh*t about some famous person saying they are sitting down to dinner or beginning to get ready to go to sleep or just "are bored." I sure as hell know that I don't.

Just think about all the things you could be learning as you waste your life on social networking sites. And don't tell me you hate learning, everyone likes learning something.

Curiously, I don't seem to have a problem wasting days of my life in MMOs.

Well, whatever.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  11. khelek

khelek New Member

You know, I find it interesting who decry people who enjoy social networking as having some sort of narcissism about them, that the people who involve themselves in it deem themselves so important that others *must* know the minutia of their lives.

That didn't start with Twitter. Or Facebook. Or MySpace. It started back in the day when people wrote raw html code in order to put a personal webpage up. Which morphed into blogs and wikis. In other words, it's the beauty of the Internet. It allows people to express themselves in ways they didn't have before and share information.

I like Twitter. It's not because I enjoy telling a bunch of people when I sit down to eat, or when I'm going to sleep, or my drive into work. I try to be interesting and share things I think might be interesting to others. Likewise, the people I follow I find interesting. I've also found that searching for topics in Twitter is one way to get an honest assessment of what's going on and how people think.

So hey, it's all well in good if you wish not to participate. It's your life. There are plenty of things I choose not to participate in.

But I've never derided those activities as "retarded". I'd like to be given the same courtesy.
  12. rod

rod New Member

i dont mind facebook, but i dont want to help someone raise their barn, or tend their crops, or feed their fish, or complete a hit on a rival mob boss.... all those fb games are a bit too much for me. i use it strictly for keeping in touch with old friends, and for passing the time at work.

(i need to slack on the drinking, i had way too many typos to fix in this post...)
  13. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

ugh social networking. nice to keep in touch, but the twittering, and updates and buzz, all self fulfilling actions to feel important. :)
  14. Guchi

Guchi New Member

What about Forum boards? thats sorta fits in that category. imho
  15. bastosero

bastosero New Member

This is all the social networking I need. At least, I learn something here more so than if I was using Twitter or Facebook, IMHO. :)
  16. souljerr

souljerr New Member

Social Networking can be an important part of ones job. I do have FB, Twitter, LinkedIn and Buzz accounts. I update them daily - sometimes the same info, sometimes different. Why? For the type of work that I do, it's important that my online image is consistent. I want people to be able to find me and get a sense that I'm involved in my industry. Doing this has directly led to money in my pocket so it's worth it.

There may be folks using Social Networking to increase their sense of self worth but realize there are other reasons as well.
  17. Corinacakes

Corinacakes DF Super Moderator Theme Developer

I only look at it when i'm bored (which isn't often anymore) and i rarely post. it is interesting to see the stupid crap ppl post lol
  18. STIDRIVER

STIDRIVER New Member

Agreed... I don't care that you found your dog in Yoville... But, I was a hater like the OP until about 6 months ago. I joined FB and I'm glad I did. It allowed me to find several of my old USAF buddies I'd probably never hear from again (one of which actually lives near me), and brought my sister and I closer (we both suck at keeping up with the phone calls)... So, it is what you make it.
  19. REARless

REARless New Member

I use Linked In for professional networking. FB can be tedious but I have reconnected with old college friends I lost track of and I am really thankful for that.

BUT, I swear on the lives of my children, I just do not GET Twitter. I don't give a flying F*** what some celebrity thinks or is doing. And sorry, I guess I am just not that profound that I have gems of ideas or thoughts that need to be shared with others. News? Please. Like there aren't hundreds of media outlets with PROFESSIONAL journalists giving away well written and researched news when I want to read it. Can some one explain what I am missing about Twitter?
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  20. sillyrabbitt123

Some good points for I see how it has application but I guess what keeps me away for real is some people just putting way too much info up. Its like gag me please.

I am glad I am not the only one to see it my way.....But to each his own, really!
Search tags for this page
anyone else hate facebook

does anyone else hate facebook

does anyone else hate mail
does anyone else hate social networking

hate social networking

hate social networking sites
i hate social media

i hate social networking

i hate social networking sites

i hate social networks
why i hate social networking