Is anyone NOT having battery trouble?

tazenman

Reaction score
I picked up my Droid 2 the day it came out and it died on me on the way home. The battery is not totaly charged out of the box. I am new to Droid but not to smart phones and all that I have had needed to be charged at night. I used to have a black berry and I could go 2 days with out charging it, but that is because I did not use it half as much as I use my Droid 2. In the past week I have been getting about 1.5 days (Turning the phone off while sleeping 10PM to 5AM) of battery life. But I do not think I am using my phone half as much as some of you.

brsmith23

Reaction score
I recently changed my phone over to maximum battery saver mode and the change was significant.. so far my phones been unplugged for 14 hours with moderate use testing and using the internet and still only lost 30% battery

Cylon

Reaction score
My wife and I both just changed to the Droid 2 and if we don't have them charging after a few hrs they are dead. I have the screen turned almost all the way down on both. I think its just a battery hog.

stevenfmurray

Reaction score
I bought mine last friday and have been experiencing the same battery problems as everyone. 5-7 hours until dead with minimal usage. Over the last few days, I did a few things that have worked:

1. DELETE Advanced Task Killer.

2. I was doing a google search regarding battery issues and found a suggestion that at first, I though was crazy. I don't even remember where I heard it, but someone said that doing a factory reset of the phone TOTALLY FIXED their problems. I though, "I don't have anything to lose" since I was sure about taking it back to VZW today anyway. Last night, I did the factory reset and charged it overnight. As of right now, it has been unplugged for 6h 33min and I still have 90% battery remaining. I haven't reinstalled any widgets and GPS is off, but this looks promising. I'll repost later today or tomorrow after I've played with it a bit more and started reinstalling things.

joshtb86

Reaction score
Yep, been having the same issue. Since I've had the phone on Thursday, I've had to charge it 2 times a day it seems. I upgraded from an LG Chocolate 3 because I wanted a new smart phone. Never had this issue with the chocolate 3, with heavy use I was able to charge it every 3 days. I'm not expecting that with a smart phone but every day and a half would be nice instead of twice a day. Of course, I was very very reluctant because I have had nothing but bad luck with Motorola phones in the past holding their charge... this one seems no different.

Just last night, I had given it a full charge to 100% (and maybe left it charging a couple more hours after that) after it drained battery completely. I went to sleep, didn't use the phone at all and whatta ya know... in 8 hours, it drained down to 30%.

Looking at this, I have my GPS off... my WiFi is also off because it continues to search for signal in spots that don't have wifi, so I imagine this kills the battery, the screen brightness is off auto and turned down (I would say to 15% or so), I have no live wallpaper being used just a normal one and the Facebook app was updated, due to a bug I read about on here and all this stuff still happened.

After doing all this, I had come down to two more possible culprits. I have a widget that was giving me live score updates for my favorite teams from ESPN. Not sure if this was causing a problem, but my friend uses it for his Droid X and has no issues (His gf also got the Droid 2 and she is having no battery issues).

I also found, under Data Delivery, an option that says "Background Data" and when I chose that, it popped up saying that shutting it off extends battery life and lowers data use and that some applications may still use the background data connection. So, I am shutting this off to see if this makes any improvements and will let the phone die out, again, and will give it a full charge and see what happens and will report back here later :)

did turning that off help? are you still getting push emails? i cant afford to not have that so i havent experimented

joshtb86

Reaction score
I bought mine last friday and have been experiencing the same battery problems as everyone. 5-7 hours until dead with minimal usage. Over the last few days, I did a few things that have worked:

2. I was doing a google search regarding battery issues and found a suggestion that at first, I though was crazy. I don't even remember where I heard it, but someone said that doing a factory reset of the phone TOTALLY FIXED their problems. I though, "I don't have anything to lose" since I was sure about taking it back to VZW today anyway. Last night, I did the factory reset and charged it overnight. As of right now, it has been unplugged for 6h 33min and I still have 90% battery remaining. I haven't reinstalled any widgets and GPS is off, but this looks promising. I'll repost later today or tomorrow after I've played with it a bit more and started reinstalling things.

what is a factory reset and how do you do it?

Quie2Droid

Reaction score
Okay, so at 1 pm today, my battery showed 60% remaining. So, I did the factory reset and when it was done it automatically synced my apps of 37 and then my battery showed 80% remaining. WTF??? Maybe there is something to this.

strado

Reaction score
i got one and right off the bat the phone was not working so i brought it back to verizon and got a new unit the it was working fine and then i charged it and suddenly it started again....so im removing my accounts from the social networking app except for gmail will report my results in later post

so that seems to be the issue in my case with the com.motorola.providers and the com.motorola.home battery drain....anyone know how to get your contact pictures to sync with FB so that i have pictures instead of the default tabs? kinda got used to this from my blackberry and its annoying that it blows my battery wad to get this

stevenfmurray

Reaction score

what is a factory reset and how do you do it?

Performing a factory reset on the device resets it to original condition.

To do it, turn the phone off. Then, open the keyboard and hold down the "x" button. While keeping it pressed, turn the phone back on. You will see a warning sign on the screen. (Now, you can let go of x) Press the search (magnifying glass to the left of the @ sign and spacebar) button on the keyboard (not the screen - those buttons won't work during this process). Use the volume up/down buttons on the side of the phone to select the "wipe data factory reset" option. Press the camera button on the side of the phone to confirm (I think...this is where I don't exactly remember. I don't want to go through the entire process again...sorry). You should be able to get through it from here.

I hope more people here having this issue try this and have some luck.

flylikeag6

Reaction score
I attempted a factory reset and I still have complete **** battery. 1 hr of light use (one 5 minute call, maybe 20 texts, a bit of web browsing) and I'm down to 80%.

Is it true that the battery life 'improves' over time? I find this really hard to believe..

wkearney99

Reaction score
Had something really strange happen this morning. The phone had been off since yesterday and had a 40% charge listed when I put it into the cradle. Which was attached via USB cable to a powered hub (without the upstream computer connected). About 2 hours later I noticed the screen flash and the Motorola logo appeared. The phone rebooted. Once up it said it had a 5% charge. I left it there and in about another 10 minutes it again rebooted. Showed "Charging (5%)" when it came back up. I didn't feel like having this keep repeating so I disconnected from the hub and used the power adapter. It charged back up again. It worked fine with this powered hub last week. It did show it as charging when using this hub. Whether or not it charges as fast as the wall adapter, I don't know. Is there a way to check? So, WTF? How did the phone go from 40% and charging, down to 5% and rebooting while doing nothing other than sit in the cradle?

cuzlion

Reaction score
battery seems good

This Droid 2 is my fifth smartphone, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Mogul, Apache and recently the Droid x. The Droid 2 and the X both showed way better battery life than any of the WinMo HTC's I had. I usually carried three batteries with them and while out of habit I bought a second battery for the D2 I have not had to use it yet despite constant use of the phone. I leave the Bluetooth and GPS on all the time, something I could not do with the WinMo phones and still have much better life. I can't tell any difference between the X and the 2, they seemed very close in battery life.

joshtb86

Reaction score
i dont understand how ppl can get such ridic battery life.. i dont even use the gps or bluetooth bc of the severe drain.