Is anyone else as mad as I am?

Gemedet

Reaction score
I know the technology industry moves pretty fast but the D3 released in July and now the D4 is coming out? It's barely been six months. It's just upsetting, I've been supporting Motorola and Verizon since the original RAZR back in the 2000s and late 90s and everytime I upgrade they screw me. The day I got the original DROID they announced the D2. A couple weeks after my D3 arrived in the mail Engadget leaked photos of the D4. And the D3 is easily going to fall to the way side with software updates. If it weren't for all these awesome Android communities and ROMs we'd probably never see ICS on the D3. Anyone else feel this way? I just feel slighted that every time I upgrade something better is leaked/announced. And don't get me wrong, I freaking love my D3 now that it's rooted and all that bloatware is gone but still. It's not like I don't search for these leaks or announcements either, I'm not oblivious to anything haha.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I wouldn't be so upset. Same thing happened to the Bionic/Razr. And the D3 is seeing a lot of developer support.

allikanbe

Reaction score
Um no. I'm not mad at all. I guess everyone should stick with the original Droid and the developers should close shop for about 5 years. There is no need for updated technology in your world. Good grief.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's the way technology is today. I bought the Thunderbolt the first week it was out, by today's standards it's outdated too. Am I upset about it, no way. It works just fine for me.

The same thing happens when you buy a new computer, notebook, laptop or whatever, as soon as you buy one, technology changes days later and you no longer have the latest and greatest.

If you are always going to need the latest and greatest android phone, you'll have to start buying full retail, and that can get a bit expensive, however you can cut some of those costs by selling the current phone on eBay.

bendystrawboy

Reaction score
I think the d2 and the d2global were just as close, dont af surprised. The d4is apparently done, i illmagine the d5 is in some stage of development as well.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's the way technology is today. I bought the Thunderbolt the first week it was out, by today's standards it's outdated too. Am I upset about it, no way. It works just fine for me.

The same thing happens when you buy a new computer, notebook, laptop or whatever, as soon as you buy one, technology changes days later and you no longer have the latest and greatest.

If you are always going to need the latest and greatest android phone, you'll have to start buying full retail, and that can get a bit expensive, however you can cut some of those costs by selling the current phone on eBay.

This is all true. You have to find what works for you for the duration. If you don't want to be out dated software wise then get the Nexus....but you will never avoid being immediately out dated hardware wise.

LT*

Reaction score
I'm not mad at all. My D3 runs great and I can get 24 hours on battery daily. With all the battery and network complaints with 4G, I'm happy to have a reliable device for the next year and a half. Maybe they can iron out the issues with 4G by the time my upgrade comes around. For now though my D3 does all I need it to do.

Bullitt6996

Reaction score
I completely agree with all here, while new tech is continuously coming out in new phones, software and such, it can be a bit frustrating given the price of a device only to find it outdated weeks after receiving it. Such is the nature of the situation we're in. I have my OG droid, Droid 2G, and now a Droid 3. I avoid letting this get me down by rooting and trying different ROMs, it really does feel like a new device each time, and that's what I would recommend to anyone that gets disheartened at the pace of the tech changing, root your phone, try some different ROMs, it'll pass the time till you get a new gizmo.dancedroid

OP
Gemedet

Gemedet

Reaction score

This is exactly the reason it pisses me off. Who can afford to pay full retail for a phone? I wasn't complaining about the lack of 4g either. I have FiOS so WiFi is pretty sufficient for me. It's just tiresome that the D3 fell to wayside because of 4G phones like the Thunderbolt. The D3 got literally ZERO marketing. Half the places I called on release day either didn't know when it was coming, or didn't know it existed. (Literally, called 4 Best Buys and they kept trying to sell me D2 Global hahaha)

I'm pretty aware of how technology works, so I'm not sure why you needed to repeat what I said. Yeah, it moves pretty fast. I just wish there was a more stable release schedule for phones, that's all.

Last edited:

doogald

Reaction score
Because of the LTE rollout this year, I think there have been a lot more phones ordered by Verizon to try to take advantage of what they think is their advantage over the other carriers. Things will likely settle down now that they have a huge collection of LTE phones.

I believe that Best Buy would not sell you a Droid 3 on launch day because it was a Verizon Wireless exclusive at launch.

How is that Droid 4 working out for everybody, by the way? ;) Rumors are fun!

Shimmy549

Reaction score
I've tried very hard to not lose sight of the fact that the Droid 4 is still a mirage. It'll come out eventually-whether it's called Droid 4 or something else-but it isn't on the market yet.

When I buy a phone, I make sure it's the most advanced phone that suits my needs. My main phone must have a keyboard, which limits my choices. That might be a blessing in disguise, though.

I bought the newest phone with a physical keyboard that was available at the time. I know that's the best I can do.

Carriers and manufacturers will exploit the fact that the cell phone has become an indispensible commodity. On top of that, phones are highly-personal devices. We carry them everywhere with us, keep thousands of pictures and hundreds of phone numbers in them and sync our Facebook accounts to them. Like cars, phones need to suit people's needs and tastes. Carriers and manufacturers will exploit that, too.

As long as my phone isn't an old junker, still works right and lets me do what I want with it, I'm happy.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
The D3 is the best 3G phone out IMO. Hardware wise it is on par with current phones. Aside from 4G it is nothing to scoff at spec wise so there's nothing to be upset about. I'm glad I held off getting a LTE device as every single one has had some issue with connection or battery. When my upgrade rolls around should be on 2nd or 3rd gen LTE devices and it'll be what it should be.

"Stay classy Interwebz"

Reaction score
I hate saying "just go get an Iproduct" but if you don't like seeing companies competing an trying to make phones for everyone's needs and just want a stable release and to be told by the carriers and manufacturers when you can "upgrade" or "update" maybe the Iproducts is better choice for you. I don't want to wait to see the new stuff come out just because it might outdate the device I have. I want to go to the store and see if it's a better fit for how I use my phone on a day to day basis and make the choice on how it works rather than "OMG, I just bought this piece of crap a yesterday and the droidx9000 is out today and is 1mhz better". Yes a new phone came out... why? because better processors and smaller, denser ram was manufactured.

I personally LOVE seeing a bajillion hardware choices. I can pick out exactly the feature set I want with whatever chipsets I feel I wish to use. For the most part dual core anything is going to support everything I would ever want my phone to do. But, that doesn't mean the phone type you like is the same as mine. Let's say you could be fine with a single core device because you only use call/text/simple apps, while I actually do some stuff such as remote connect to my computer at home which needs a better GPU, CPU, and preferably 4g to work comfortably... should I have to wait on this development cycle that dictates I must wait another 4 months before the chipsets and GPU's THAT ALREADY EXIST can be cooked into the next phone? Or even the person who expects their phone to be their gaming console(I'm a little biased against this but it's a different rant)... should they wait 8 months for the chip/gpu set that can support gaming expectations of a PS2? You're advocating a lack of advancement in technology just to make a specific set of people more comfortable with their choices.

Now on the other hand, I feel that lately some companies have dropped the ball a little on the software development side and need to either get their act together and either hire better programmers, or hold off on features that break the phone.
Software/firmware-wise, it's not hard to bookmark the sub-forum your development for a ROM is at and check it once in a while... Hell some apps(safestrap, I didn't even know about 1.07 or whatever the new one is for a long time) I'm good with for months until it dawns on me "hey, there might be an update". Also, I wouldn't count the D3 out for ICS since Moto has been on the ball about their software updating portfolio for GB. I can't say that any phone I expected to see GB on didn't get it. We're also pretty well off with all the developers who create ROMs for android devices overall... I see a lot of attention given to devices(OG droid) that have been dropped long ago by their official devs still managing to stay up to date.

Get the phone for your needs... not because you "need" the newest and greatest thing on the block. I guess I rant when I see people putting advancement in tech down :\ sorry.

spillner

Reaction score
I feel the same way here. I'm not mad that Motorola is putting out newer and faster phones, I'm upset that the next generation of my phone is coming out so soon. If the D4 was pushed back till 5/12, lets say, and they really beta tested it to make sure it was the absolute best it could be I would have no problems. But look at their last 3 phones they've put out. 2 outta 3 have 4g with connection problems. All 3 are dual core, but really don't live up to the hype of what dual core can do. I mean, look at browser scrolling, its still not nearly as smooth as an iPhone or GS2. The cameras on here are terrible, honestly my OG Droid took better pictures.

Thats not the say that the D3 is all bad. It has the best battery life of any 3g phone that I know of. The best keyboard, screen size, ports and so on. Its definitely an upgrade from the previous D2 or in my case the D1 (except for the camera) and its a world phone. I agree that 4g isn't ready for my money yet, I'll wait till 2nd or 3rd generation 4g phones to perfect that. But is the D4 really necessary right now? Can't Moto wait and get the D3/Bionic/Razr working properly before spewing out another phone? Especially on the same network.

After owning Motorola phones for over a decade, the D3 is my last phone by them. I don't like the direction they're going, it shows no customer loyalty only corporate greed. And those who claim that they have the right to make a profit, all they have to do is make a solid phone and market it properly. The RAZRs and Bionics marketing campaign was terrible ( fighting robots and car stunts don't appeal to most people). Look at Samsung, they show you what the phone actually does in real life. Its part of the reason they're so successful (that and they have the best Android phones).

Motorolas strategy is simply this "if you don't like our phone now just wait till next month when we replace it and if your having problems with the phone you have just replace with one of our newer shinier phones, guaranteed to have different problems than the ones you're having now"