D3 vs. D1 - The "Feel"

harlock

Reaction score
I really love my Moto DROID 1; I'd keep using it, really. We definitely wanted to upgrade my wife's phone, but the deal was a no-brainer to get two D3, so we'll both be using a D3 in a few days.

My first reaction to the phone was that it felt inferior to my Moto D1 - It felt weaker in build. The Moto D1 is a metal-framed tank that feels like a piece of hardware. The D3 feels much more fragile.

I haven't had the new D3 in my hand for more than a few minutes, and this was my initial reaction to it - Has anyone else felt this way about the D3, coming from a D1?

-H-

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Not at all. It feels very solid to me. Still has the metal frame. If you liked the D1 you will love the D3 trust me. This is an awesome upgrade from the original.

end of line...

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agreed. The feel feels great. I like it a lot better then the D1. Especially the new sleeker look it has.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
H

harlock

Reaction score
@jstafford - that's reassuring. I felt like the DROID X (displayed right next to the D3) felt more like a Moto D1 in construction.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
@jstafford - that's reassuring. I felt like the DROID X (displayed right next to the D3) felt more like a Moto D1 in construction.

That was probably a DX2 but that has the same shell as the DX anyways. Really the only added plastic to the D3 over the D1 that I can tell is the battery cover. Before that was metal but now is plastic. But I think if it was metal it would be way to hard to get off, its pretty snug as is.

end of line...

LT*

Reaction score
No disrespect to my D1, but the D3 feels much better in hand to me.

TDevilsG

Reaction score
Concurred with the rest. The D3 has a great weight to it, its a very sleek phone (I threw on the blue plastic case Verizon sells as well along with a screen protector) and the weight feels like the phone has substance to it. Overall a great progression from the D1 IMO.

JohnnyS101

Reaction score
I love the feel of the d3 over the d1. The d1 may feel more built because of the weight compared to the size. Since the size of the d3 is larger than the d1 and weighs just a bit more you may feel like it feels light thus not feeling like real metal.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Jeeper_Slick

Reaction score
I went D1, D2, D3 and I couldn't be happier. Short of no root. I miss toying with the overclocking on my D2.

John.Edwards

Reaction score
The D3 did not feel big, but the Droid now feels a bit small. I know that sounds weird, but it is true. The size difference is not much, but you will notice it.

The D3 is heavy enough to still have a nice feel.

LT*

Reaction score
The D3 did not feel big, but the Droid now feels a bit small. I know that sounds weird, but it is true. The size difference is not much, but you will notice it.

The D3 is heavy enough to still have a nice feel.

I definitely notice a difference when using my D1.

howzball

Reaction score
I don't think the D3 feels cheaper but there is certainly some sloppiness in the keyboard slider on it as opposed to the D1.
It isn't nearly as tight as my 2 year old Droid is, that's after being abused time will only tell what the D3's keyboard will feel like in a couple of years.

The only other difference in feel is how the D3 feels like a furnace in my pocket whereas the D1 never had that problem. Sometimes I wonder if the D3 isn't just going to burst into flames.

TyrantII

Reaction score
I really love my Moto DROID 1; I'd keep using it, really. We definitely wanted to upgrade my wife's phone, but the deal was a no-brainer to get two D3, so we'll both be using a D3 in a few days.

My first reaction to the phone was that it felt inferior to my Moto D1 - It felt weaker in build. The Moto D1 is a metal-framed tank that feels like a piece of hardware. The D3 feels much more fragile.

I haven't had the new D3 in my hand for more than a few minutes, and this was my initial reaction to it - Has anyone else felt this way about the D3, coming from a D1?

-H-

As someone who just disassembled his OG Droid to fix the glass, I can assure you there's no metal frame.

neilrl79

Reaction score

-H-

As someone who just disassembled his OG Droid to fix the glass, I can assure you there's no metal frame.

The bezel around the screen is most definitely metal on the Droid and the Droid 3, the Droid 2 has a plastic bezel on the screen.

OP
H

harlock

Reaction score
It's great to hear that you guys have been liking the feel of the D3. I should have mine by tomorrow afternoon, and will get a real comparison of the two. Based on what I'm reading though, it sounds like I will like it too.

Thanks everyone!