Is 512mb RAM enough???

aggiechase37

Reaction score
Checking out the D3 specs looks like (from most sources) that it will be checking in with 512 mb RAM. For those of you that have phones with 512 mb of RAM, (unlike me with a paltry 256 on the OG) do you find that 512 is enough? For me, I can usually get two apps switching at the same time, more than that and the app has been killed and has to restart. So I'd like to get a handle on how much seamless switching I can get with 512?

I think those of you with the DX2 could offer the best opinion because your type of RAM is the same kind that will be going in the D3, but of course anyone with 512 who cares to weigh in is more than welcome.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
It is a little upsetting to see new higher end phones coming out with 512MB when quite a few are hitting shelves with 768MB or higher. DDR2 or not, if you don't have enough of it you can't run an application if it requires it. There are already games that have set the minimum requirement to devices with 512MB of RAM. If you aren't a gamer, you may not have an issue. App creators aren't going to want to alienate their userbase, unless they have to. Right now games may be the only thing that really will be necessary for that much more memory. Not saying devs can't take advantage of the increased memory, but I kinda doubt it will be a requirement for quite some time.

Of course I could be wrong though.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Since the Droid X2 has memory issues out of the box with the dual core processor and Froyo, I would say its not enough... Blur sucks

sent from my ApeX

kookk

Reaction score
I have a dx2. 512 runs things ok but I wish I had more

Sent from my DROID X2

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Since the Droid X2 has memory issues out of the box with the dual core processor and Froyo, I would say its not enough... Blur sucks

sent from my ApeX

I've read the issues are with the memory management inherant with the Tegra 2 chip. The OMAP 4 has better memory management so there will be a marked difference in the DX2 and D3.

sent from somewhere...

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
For me, I can usually get two apps switching at the same time, more than that and the app has been killed and has to restart. So I'd like to get a handle on how much seamless switching I can get with 512?
Apps don't all have the same RAM usage. Your question should be whether or not 512MB RAM is enough for your particular usage and that's something you'll have to figure out for yourself unless you can find someone with 512 and the same apps.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
My Viewsonic Gtablet (running CM7.03) has the nvidia Tegra2 dual-core chip and 512megs of RAM and it's been no issue at all. I do more on it than I do my phone now and it's handled everything fantastically.

I'm not worried about 512meg on the Droid 3 (most likely my next phone). It's twice the memory of my Droid, twice the cpu (dual-core) @ more speed, twice the camera's (front/rear) all with a bigger screen, a better slider-keyboard, HDMI out, etc...

So yeah, if 256meg ram has been enough, 512meg will be enough until time for the next upgrade. More is usually better, but better doesn't mean needed.